Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just purchased an action camera from Polaroid (snicker). The model is the Polaroid XS100i Wi-Fi Extreme Edition.
I did not want to spend gobs of money on a pro version when I just want to take some videos of the trail riding I do.

I know that GoPro has an entry level model out there but it seems like they de-featured the low end model in rediculous ways to avoid market canibalization of their higher end models.

Well you know the saying....."If you are scared to canibalize your own market, someone will gladly do it for you".

Review to come.
Videos to come.

The price was very comparible to the low end GoPro, but i find that the accessories for GoPro are priced very high. Of keen interest to me is using the embedded wifi to connect to my mobile phone and view the videos right away.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yah, will be interesting to see the difference...

I'm sorta mixed on the GP (Hero 3?) but it might be that I"m over estimating it capabilities...
Still working on that one... so it will be interesting to see how it compares...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Will be interested to see how that camera works for you. We run a Go Pro Hero 2 which works nice but we had bought it before we started wheeling. I hope the Polaroid works great for you!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
the accessories for GoPro are priced very high.
Oh my god you are not kidding. Some of the bits you can get for cheap (Chinese knockoffs on eBay) but even so...

Of keen interest to me is using the embedded wifi to connect to my mobile phone and view the videos right away.
I have the Hero3+ Black Edition and an Android smartphone. You cannot watch the videos immediately, as such.
In the GoPro app, you can tell it to play a video, and what it does is give you on screen shot per second.
You can download the file to your phone and play it, but unless your phone is REALLY fast, it cannot keep up, so the video freezes and the audio goes out of sync.

What you want for immediate playback is the "bacpac" LCD screen. And a lot of spare batteries or a case with a hole in it to run a USB cable in for external power.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yah, I have the Backpac screen and that is really helpful but..... I sucks batteries down like me drinking beer...
Not gone in 60sec, but close, heheh.

and you can't use the bacpac screen with the big battery at the same time, it's one or the other...
Soooo....
The main connections as Paul was using would be my next try. Get another "case", drill a hole for the 12v plug and use the bacpac screen for monitoring and positioning... sealing the hole to keep rain/water out of it. Even if it's the Blue 'Painter's Tape", comes right off, or plastic wrap, something...
That would be the ideal set up...
I have the iPod and GP remote hooked up to direct battery by using the 12v dual usb socket in the lighter socket. I was just trying to find the ideal positioning before making a direct connection later on down the line..

Here's how I have it set up, velcored to the dash, seems to hold.

P1030296.JPG

fun....

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My fear in buying the GoPro was the add ons like bacpac and batteries mounts etc.

I wanted to spend a modest amount on a light duty camera.

I just get the feeling that this whole action cam thing is about to jump the shark the way the Ipod did, and the way car standalone GPSs did.

So I figure buy a valued one now, and replace in a few years when battery life is better, bluetooth is pervasive, and it can play a video back like every other cam corder made in the last decade.

I just cant get over how bad the GoPros are, and they are still the best.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My fear in buying the GoPro was the add ons like bacpac and batteries mounts etc.

I wanted to spend a modest amount on a light duty camera.

I just get the feeling that this whole action cam thing is about to jump the shark the way the Ipod did, and the way car standalone GPSs did.

So I figure buy a valued one now, and replace in a few years when battery life is better, bluetooth is pervasive, and it can play a video back like every other cam corder made in the last decade.

I just cant get over how bad the GoPros are, and they are still the best.
I don't like that my comment came out like I am criticising anyone's decision to buy a Go Pro Hero when I really am just expressing a desire for a worthy competitor to drive features and value. At the same time don't want to erase the comment.

So, let me try again.

What I meant to say is... If I am going to spend almost $500 for a camera, it needs to have all the features I want, including instant playback, a long battery life, cloud sync, Phone sync, etc.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'm not sure you're using "jump the shark" correctly. :)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
If you mean that you think action cameras have gotten about as good as they're going to get, and they'll start getting crappier and crappier now until everyone finally loses interest and stops buying them, then you used it right.
But if you mean that you think action cameras are about to take a giant leap forward in technology and get very awesome very soon, turning today's greatest models into junk, then that's not really what that phrase means.

I will point out one thing about these cameras: They're great for catching that one shot that you were lucky to catch and it's awesome. Like this one, in which if you go HD full screen, you can really see the suspension on the XP 1000 earning the dollars he spent for it.

But that's really only good for nostalgia and bragging rights. Most of the time, you spend half of your activity time fiddling with the damn camera, and then if you want to turn the gigantic piles of footage into anything remotely worth watching for more than a few seconds, you'll spend hours and hours editing and producing, so that some douchebag on YouTube can tell you that your video sucks.
This takes away from your enjoyment of the activity itself, and wastes a lot of your free time later when you could be enjoying your wife's company or playing with the dogs.

If this sounds like the viewpoint of someone who has become somewhat jaded about action cameras, well, there you go.

But I have mine set to take still images every 5 seconds while it is recording video, and with the USB external power, I try to keep it running most of the day on the off chance that something spectacular happens and I catch it on video. Most of those still shots turn out blurry and twisted. But every once in a while, the conditions are just right and it takes an awesome picture.

View attachment 2357
View attachment 2358

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am not sure what exactly I meant, but the sentiment came from my feeling that as a stand alone device, maybe its relevance has an expiration date. I was specifically thinking of how GPS were the holiday must have gift in 2009, and then Google Maps made them a niche, and the same thing happened with digital cameras, Mp3 players etc.

Of course this is all coming a day after I purchased one. Ha!

Very interesting observation about your experiences with a your camera.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Thanks for the vid Paul...
Usually I'm on the other side. Next time I'll "floor it" for an action shot.. heheh, not...

I think the Action Camera's, GoPro, have come a long way. I think that I expect more from them without considering the size.
The size is the key benefit from them as they are small, easy to take with you and are compact with the basics. I even tried it for Underwater use and while not impressive, it did the job.

Again, the size is the key. You can go from a simple small sized GP to the over the top iMax, so it's really a question of what you're trying to do. If you're trying to show the fun/action/unusual on an automatic setting and not have to mess with it, the action cams are pretty darn good, IMNSHO, for their size.

I think they will continue to improve, haven't "flat lined" yet, as the GPS/WiFi and whatever other components come out they will continue to serve their purpose and maintain their unique size. Like computers, electronics are outdated the day you buy it for the most part.

I used to have, what I called "The Beast" UW camera set up and then tried the GP... not the same obviously, but size mattered, got tired of lugging "The Beast" around. I am now looking at the Mirrorless cameras, Sony III, and was thinking of using that in the buggy. Put it in a simple UW Ewa? bag to protect on water, mud etc and shoot... but, obviously, it's bigger.. so it's a trade off.

"The Beast"

fpoole_CmraCase_-1010001s.jpg

and the small Sony III

61xOD7ePk1L._SL1200_.jpg

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The beast looks pretty professional. Were you making money with it or was this just an expensive toy?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Heheh, like the RZR, expensive toy... but cost about half as much... apx $9-10k.... have to keep it water proof and fully functional to 200' depth... the camera, Nik D-300, was the cheapest part..

Since I quit diving up here, cold water, I had to find something else to do, Nellie was that something... she'll be back...

(ps. thanks for the vid, I'll be posting it on FB)

·
Registered
552 Posts
I picked up the GP Hero 4. I do like the LCD screen and the video quality is great before formatting it. I am able to playback on the iPhone smoothly (but getting it to wifi together is tricky). Batteries are fairly cheap and easy to switch out ($20). I was not happy with how fast cold weather zapped the battery life but seemed good in warmer weather. Stabilization seemed pretty good. I'm still learning about formatting and editing. I plan to fabricate most of the attachments, and it came with quite a few. I like how it charges and transfers without special adapters. It doesn't come with a sd card which seems ridiculous for the price. Overall I doubt it was worth the money but IDK.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yah, all batteries, as you probably know living in Michigan, fade quickly in cold weather.
When I was shooting over in Yellowstone in Jan? and other times, I usually planned on tanking 3 batteries, one in the camera and 2 carried inside pockets to keep warm. Even the cold used one will regain a little charge, to use as a back up if need be...

I"m surprised on the SD card? You'd have to have at least one to take the vid/photos. That's all I got with the +3 and the small adapter card. I have two more of both those on the wish list cause I KNOW I'll probably loose them.

I also noted, and there's a strong possibility that it is my Computer RAM or speed issue, that the GP editing program couldn't handle several long files at a time.
I did switch to the Cyber Link and have a like problem - that's why I think it's probably my computer - but it seemed to work a lot better.. but you'll spend time on the editing part.

I believe Paul, scoundrel, has it set up best for Vids, just short bursts, not the whole ride which can be very boring.

I would try setting mine on the On OPEN>Vid and just press the button to record a short fun session and turn off. Might not make much difference with the battery power, ON/OFF all the time, but cuts down on editing fer sur...

It's a constant work in progress to be sure...

Here's the link to a rather extensive GP info/ideas if that helps at all.
It's over on the RZRForums.net

has some good ideas there too..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts