Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at my ACE after mounting the front bumper, I realized that I needed to fill the two mounting holes on the center opening with a couple of LED lights which I could use instead of the halogen headlights. So, I bought some TMH 9 LED 27W 60 degree LED work lights from Amazon.com. They have aluminum housings with fins on the back for a heat sink. I had used a pair of them to mount under the back bumper of my truck as additional backup lights, and they have worked great! Super bright, and low amperage draw! View attachment 3295

So I obtained 2 more of the same lights, and a couple of rocker switches. One of the switches operates the winch from the dash instead of having to plug in the remote control and try to hold onto it while driving. The other switch is to turn on the LED lights. The idea came to me when I was plowing snow one night with the headlights on. I didn't like having the winch pull so much amperage with the halogen lights on at the same time (usually at engine idle speed) and watch the lights dim way down. I was hoping that a decent pair of LED lights would do the trick in providing enough light, and lessen the drain on the battery.

Here's the who, what, where, why, how of the mounting and what it looks like. If you need to know how I wired them in, just let me know. I can diagram it or email you. I figure most folks can run some wires and connect 'em up. View attachment 3296 View attachment 3297 I have all the wiring done except for connecting the harness to the light wires. I hope to have the lights connected to my harness tonight so I can get outside and test them out.

I know they are not fancy, and not as expensive or nice as those super duper light bars, but maybe they will be helpful both on the trail and in plowing...and they fit and fill in the bumper opening area nicely!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome. Glad I'm not the only one! I didn't get to work on it last night, but maybe tonight. I want to get some pics, with the lights on in the dark, and post em.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much Scoundrel!

That was a nice wiring job and I love those AMP Specialties weatherproof plugs.

I may opt to replace my spade connections in the future. My switches came with male spade terminals on the back. So I used the "old" insulated female spade terminals and "tinned" the ends of each wire with solder before crimping on the terminals. I did remember to tag each wire with a label stating the two places it connected in case I have to remove them in the future. I used a 15A ATM fuse wire to connect to the positive battery cable on the buss bar under the door in the front storage compartment to feed the lights through my relay. The relay is also behind the dash held on by one of the screws which holds the remote winch plug in mounted in the dash. Everything is functional, lights work, winch switch works, I just have to permanently connect the light wires to the lights and it'll be done. I'll take a few pics with the lights on once I pull it out of the garage...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Where did you get the cool labeled rocker switch

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Where did you get the cool labeled rocker switch
I searched the web and found them on Amazon. They weren't that expensive, but didn't come with instructions. No worries, just use a volt-ohm meter to check what the terminals do, and wire it up. Just a very minimal trimming of the dash holes, and the pop right in securely!

·
Registered
109 Posts
Cool thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Scoundrel! Those Team Fas switches are nice! I love some of their logos! I may have to rethink my choices and get their switches. Awesome, as usual!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I bought mine off of Amazon. Instructions were tucked inside of envelope.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I should be picking up my ace 570 this weekend and I'm having them add the front brush guard I was wondering how much room there is to mound the led lights I'm looking at a set of rigid Industries D2 Driving Lights I can't add a picture but they are basically 3.5 inch wide by 3.5 inch deep and 3 inch tall will they fit?
each light is supposed to produce just over 3000 lm should be more than enough for night trail riding I know the stock headlights seemed a little dim to what i would want when I borrowed someone's ace for the weekend to go riding
Gonna be expensive so don't wanna order unless I know they will fit

·
Registered
447 Posts
View attachment 4085

Moparman48081, I mounted front lights that are 4.25x4.25 on the brush guard for an Ace 325 and they fit. I also had my dealer mount my brush guard when I bought the Ace in March, 2014. At that time, the brush guard came with a winch mounting bracket. My dealer kept the bracket. This also happened to a friend at another dealer. If you decide to get a winch, you will need this mounting bracket.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I should be picking up my ace 570 this weekend and I'm having them add the front brush guard I was wondering how much room there is to mound the led lights I'm looking at a set of rigid Industries D2 Driving Lights I can't add a picture but they are basically 3.5 inch wide by 3.5 inch deep and 3 inch tall will they fit?
each light is supposed to produce just over 3000 lm should be more than enough for night trail riding I know the stock headlights seemed a little dim to what i would want when I borrowed someone's ace for the weekend to go riding
View attachment 4086 View attachment 4087 View attachment 4087

Height is no problem. Depth will be close. Check the pics of the mounting dimensions on the factory front brush guard. Good luck.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
394 Posts
I bought a set from one of the vendors on here. It came with lights, fuse, wiring harness and switch. Complete.
Just had to mount lights, drill hole and install switch and run wire harness to the accessory block under the front cover.
Very bright. I posted the pictures of the difference between stock Ace lights and the LED lights on here somewhere after the install.

·
Registered
394 Posts
There is a 12 vdc terminal block under the front. Just open the front cover and then remove the small access cover inside. There is the power block.
Just be sure to install in inline fuse holder or breaker for your lighting system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i found a couple things under the front i am looking for which one is keyed on power and just my luck my volt meter broke , there is the busbar that has red , black , yellow , blue ..... i know blue is power to my winch but i dont know if yellow is keyed on power or am i looking for something else

1 - 20 of 26 Posts