Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
THANKS EVERYONE FOR ALL THE HELP!! APPRECIATE IT MUCH.... Trailer, Going with the 12' Aluma, going to get 2" straps to tie down. DO any of you have pictures of how/what you tie down to on the ACE? I am thinking the front pull loop and the rear frame, then do you compress the shocks and tie down elsewhere? thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I have two Ace's,, brought to my home by the dealer. I had an old trailer,, but it is tooooo tight. So, I am looking, on line, at an Aluma A8810,, it is 88" by 127". You can side load, 2200 lbs axle.... DOES anyone know if this will work, fit, etc... ?? Thanks for any help... I have tried to see if there were prior answers, but am out of time to dig more...
I see no reason that you couldn't put two aces on that trailer but they both might have to be sideloaded. Im pretty sure they would both have to be sideloaded to make them fit. Its wide enough, but not long enough to side load one, and regular load the other. The trailer is only 10 ft 7 inches long so if it has two sections that could fit an ace sideways.....it should work

After thinking about this....I now don't think you will be able to get two aces on this trailer...even sideways. I doubt it, with the area taken up by the wheel wells, that there will be enough room left for two aces. Good luck with your choices

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you again,,, I will go with the 12 foot version which should work then, and also have a larger trailer for hauling other things.. thanks,

·
Registered
191 Posts
One important thing you need to do is do not go cheap on your tie down straps.....buy some good heavy duty ones because not only are you risking the lost of your Ace's, your also risking the danger of hurting someone else or the possible damage to who knows what.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I see no reason that you couldn't put two aces on that trailer but they both might have to be sideloaded. Im pretty sure they would both have to be sideloaded to make them fit. Its wide enough, but not long enough to side load one, and regular load the other. The trailer is only 10 ft 7 inches long so if it has two sections that could fit an ace sideways.....it should work

After thinking about this....I now don't think you will be able to get two aces on this trailer...even sideways. I doubt it, with the area taken up by the wheel wells, that there will be enough room left for two aces. Good luck with your choices
The Aluma A8810 does not have wheel wells.
The wheel base of an ACE is 61". The overall length is 90". The trailer deck is 88" wide.
So loaded sideways, the rear end would hang over the edge a little bit, but the tires would be fully on the deck.
The ramps should still be able to fit into their pockets because the overhanging part would be more than a foot off the deck.
The trailer is 10 feet long. So even if you put aftermarket wheels/tires, you should be able to put two ACEs side by side on that deck.

However, you'd be over the load limit. The axle is 2200#, but it has to support the trailer too. The spec on the Aluma website does not list the load rating - need to ask them.
By the time it is full of gas/oil and your accessories, you'll probably be closer to 1000 lbs each.
So you need a trailer with at least a 2000-lb LOAD capacity.
If you bought an Aluma A8810 and had it outfitted with a heavier duty axle and tires with a higher load rating, you could do it.

View attachment 2402

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks, I am buying new 2" straps, and now trying to decide just where to secure them. Will do more reading! thanks much!

I am going to go with the Aluma 12' model, as it does have the 3500 pound axle. And, it will haul more "stuff" when moving, etc.. Thanks much everyone for the advice! Wish we were all closer and could take a Big ride!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Have you looked at Triton trailers? Mine has adjustable securing loops along the inside rail that makes it great for strapping anything down to it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You know,, I just looked them up on the net.. has the smaller tires, which is likely ok. I am going to call a dealer in nearby Yankton SD to see what they cost etc. I like the Aluma 12 footer,, but I did see the tie down system that your trailer has and it looks good. I suspect you have had good luck with the bearnings, etc....
Do you have any pictures of how you tie down your Ace's??

·
Registered
191 Posts
I have had my trailer for 2 years now and have put a lot of miles on it and have had no problems at all with it. I always keep pumping fresh grease thru the bearing buddies which is a very easy thing to do. As far as how I strap mine down you might be able to see in my picture I use 2 straps on the front from the steel front loop on the Ace to the adjustable mounting loop on trailer. The back 2 straps I connect to the hitch loops to the trailer loops. I use 2" straps with snap hook ends for added security so they won't come undone in loops.
View attachment 2403

·
Registered
218 Posts
to the OP :
look again at post #4 ......thats a 12 ft trailer with two aces , it's cramped .
look how close the front ace is to the front deck edge .add brush guards and accessories it only gets worse ......................
a 14 footer is more better .
and something to consider about small tires .............they spin 2 1/2 times (approx) faster than a 26 inch diameter to cover the same ground . so at 70 mph interstate speed that little tire is spinning at the equivalent of 175mph .

·
Registered
191 Posts
The rim size is 10" but the tire diameter is 20" and there is a good 6" to 8" from the front deck edge to the Ace tire which is plenty of room when they are strapped down and not moving. Would it be nice to have a 14' trailer, sure it would be but the extra cost is there also.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I was looking at a brand new 6x16 dual axle trailer to haul two aces. It was $1500 out the door with brakes. The trailer would haul both front to back, and has a 7000lb rating (2x3500 axles.) I would also use it as a car hauler.

THe Aluma looks good, but I always thought those things were $3500.

Example

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I had my trailer custom built in Utah. It has a 7' x 14' deck, with the 9" sides laid down at a 45° angle and tie downs welded every 18" on the sides. Has the lift gate in the rear and 2 6' ramps for side loading stored on edge across the front as the front stop. Has a tool box and spare tire mounted on the V tongue to which I added a solar panel to charge the quads if needed. Has a single 3500# axle with brakes and 15" tires. All of this for $1600 delivered to my house in Idaho. The cheapest 14' aluminum trailer I could find then, was a stock built for well over $3500 and all it had was 4 tie downs, 2 on each side, the length of the trailer and NO other accessories like the one I had built. After owning several trailers, I would never go with anything under 14', as you never know what you will end up with and as I said, you can side load 3 machines on a 14' platform.

It serves me for what I had when I had it built, but if I had to do it again, I would go to 18' X 102" on the bed with dual axle and brakes on both. I have had all 3 of our units on the trailer by side loading, but the Rzr was a little precarious the way it set and tied down. What I do now, if we are taking all 3, is to side load the Ace in front, regular load the Rzr behind the Ace and put the Quad in the bed of the truck.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Post #4 shows one ACE lengthwise and the other sideways.
If both ACEs are loaded sideways there will be plenty of room on an Aluma 8812.
As long as your ACE does not exceed 102" in overall length you're legal even if the brush guards are hanging over the edge a little.

If you want taller tires, Aluma will send you spacers to lift your trailer deck a little more off the axle.
But I had an Aluma 8816 for a while and it did just fine with the stock 13" tires.
I had it loaded down with a RZR, Grizzly, Kawasaki Brute Force, and a Honda scooter when I made a 2200-mile round trip to Moab.

Here is what I did for tie-downs on my ACE:
http://www.aceforums.net/forum/12-ace-builds/165-post-up-your-budget-mods-here.html#post1464

I have been meaning to replace those with drop forged eye bolts instead. Those bent ones are starting to separate, not sure if they are tough enough.

View attachment 2446

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The Aluma A8810 does not have wheel wells.
The wheel base of an ACE is 61". The overall length is 90". The trailer deck is 88" wide.
So loaded sideways, the rear end would hang over the edge a little bit, but the tires would be fully on the deck.
The ramps should still be able to fit into their pockets because the overhanging part would be more than a foot off the deck.
The trailer is 10 feet long. So even if you put aftermarket wheels/tires, you should be able to put two ACEs side by side on that deck.

However, you'd be over the load limit. The axle is 2200#, but it has to support the trailer too. The spec on the Aluma website does not list the load rating - need to ask them.
By the time it is full of gas/oil and your accessories, you'll probably be closer to 1000 lbs each.
So you need a trailer with at least a 2000-lb LOAD capacity.
If you bought an Aluma A8810 and had it outfitted with a heavier duty axle and tires with a higher load rating, you could do it.

View attachment 2402
Thanks for telling me about that trailer not having wheel wells Scoundrel. We see very few trailers like that one in my part of the country. and even most aluminum trailers here are of the utility design and they all have wheel wells. I also like trailers with larger tires, for strength, tire life and also bearing life. Small diameter tires spin way too fast for me, and since most of our trailering here is done on interstate highways (we have fewer trails nearby than the western states) usually going to a trail system a few hundred miles away, and traveling at 70-75 mph, the larger diameter tires just make good sense for us

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I was looking at a brand new 6x16 dual axle trailer to haul two aces. It was $1500 out the door with brakes. The trailer would haul both front to back, and has a 7000lb rating (2x3500 axles.) I would also use it as a car hauler.

THe Aluma looks good, but I always thought those things were $3500.

Example
Trailers made of aluminum cost more than steel ones with wood decks, for sure.
You're paying for the reduced weight if your tow vehicle is not as beefy.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
going to a trail system a few hundred miles away, and traveling at 70-75 mph, the larger diameter tires just make good sense for us
Have you looked at the speed rating of trailer tires? At 70-75 you are waaaay over the manufacturers speed rating and subject to liability if you have a blowout and cause damage or harm to anyone or thing.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
In WA state, vehicles with trailers (of any size) are supposed to follow the truck speed limits (60 MPH).
They never do (even the trucks), but it is possible to get a ticket for it if you rub the cop the wrong way.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts