Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
There has been talk of a wanting one, but I have not yet seen anyone post saying they found one.
You might want to PM Racer Tech and see if they make one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Man, I was just searching for this very question. It shouldn't be hard to make one, if I could weld worth a damn I would try but..I can't. I may try though. Meanwhile if something comes up, I wanna know because every time wifey and I go out she finds the mud and I am always cleaning out the box because it leaks! grrr

Reactions: whitetrash

·
Registered
134 Posts
Man, I was just searching for this very question. It shouldn't be hard to make one, if I could weld worth a damn I would try but..I can't. I may try though. Meanwhile if something comes up, I wanna know because every time wifey and I go out she finds the mud and I am always cleaning out the box because it leaks! grrr
+1 for me, i installed snorkels to avoid sucking in any water or mud but have the same issue with the lid leaking on my air box so snorkels are kinda pointless at this time. I was thinking of completely eliminating the air box and installing the air filter on the end of my snorkel with a filter bag/cover to help keep it clean of dust and debris. Anyone try this or see any issues with this mod? Would like some helpful info before i try messing with it?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The only concern I have is that one of the functions of the air box is to allow water, if you do suck some in, to settle to the bottom of it and bleed out through the one-way valve.
If your snorkel ends directly at the air filter, your snorkel becomes a vacuum cleaner hose and you're going to suck any incidental water (rain, splashing, hosing your machine down to get the mud off) right through the filter.

·
Registered
134 Posts
The only concern I have is that one of the functions of the air box is to allow water, if you do suck some in, to settle to the bottom of it and bleed out through the one-way valve.
If your snorkel ends directly at the air filter, your snorkel becomes a vacuum cleaner hose and you're going to suck any incidental water (rain, splashing, hosing your machine down to get the mud off) right through the filter.
I agree with you and thought of this, i have seen it done on atvs on youtube videos but have never asked anyone how well it works. When i sucked in some mud and water the airbox did do its job and my filter was dry and the mud was settled in the bottom but was still concerning to me. I would have to remove the filter for washing which is no big deal and i could install a trap and a drain in the piping to catch any water that may sneak in from washing and i figured with the k&n filter bag i would be safe from splashing or rain they have a silicone coating to help bead off water. I just dont have any experience with them and was hoping someone who may have done this to there ace or other atv could let me know how well this setup works? Thanx scoundrel for the advice and it is in my thoughts. By the way your doing a great job on this forum keep it up!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
OK, as long as you have a plan for that, my opinion/input stops there as I have no experience in that kind of stuff. Good luck!

And thanks!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am not sure about putting a filter on the end of a tube and eliminating the box but it would sure make snorkeling easier! What you are saying makes sense but like Scoundrel I don't have much experience with this. The closest thing to it was on my brother's Honda Foreman, he was having some issues with his box and we put a piece of PVC pipe and an K&N on the end but we couldn't get it to work right. It would fall on its face/stumble so he just rtv'd his air box and moved on so we could ride. If we would have had some jets to play with and more patience we could have probably made it work. if you do decide to try it post up!

Reactions: Jrossiar

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Oh, yeah, I guess it would need to have enough air flow, so there's another aspect of it.

There are aftermarket air boxes for the RZR. The ACE ones will come, just like the skid plates and the A-arm replacements and reinforced struts came.

·
Registered
134 Posts
That was my main concern altering the air/fuel flow to the motor. The air would be travelling a longer distance so i was worried i might need to tune the motor to compensate for this and that is something i dont want to start messing with. My ace runs great and i dont want to start screwing with it. I am waiting for a uni filter then i will probably just silicone around the entire box for now. Im sure this will work all though it makes checking my filter more difficult. I will just wait for the aftermarket to come out. Thanx guys!

·
Registered
102 Posts
I am not sure about putting a filter on the end of a tube and eliminating the box but it would sure make snorkeling easier! What you are saying makes sense but like Scoundrel I don't have much experience with this. The closest thing to it was on my brother's Honda Foreman, he was having some issues with his box and we put a piece of PVC pipe and an K&N on the end but we couldn't get it to work right. It would fall on its face/stumble so he just rtv'd his air box and moved on so we could ride. If we would have had some jets to play with and more patience we could have probably made it work. if you do decide to try it post up!
im no carburetor expert but i do know that most honda four wheeler have hoses run from the air box to the carburetor to control diaphrams from the vaccum of the air box. i dont really understand the principle or the theory behind it but i do know for a fact they run like crap with out the air box being completely installed... but i also know that the deep mudders love the hondas and snorkel them with NO filter what so ever, and make them run just fine. dont ask me how i dont know, but that is probably why your buddys honda messed up, and i think jrossair is on to something, im thinking of trying it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts