Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just ordered a smaller diameter leather covered steering wheel and adapter kits, same as I did for the RZR.
Once the power steering is in, going with a smaller wheel means less cranking to turn, and easier to get in/out of the vehicle.
And, awesome look/feel.

I'll post up a thread when I do the EPS install.
From the looks of the instructions, I have to remove about 3/4 of my accessories and basically tear down the entire front end of the ACE to do the EPS install.
It looks like a serious project. Way more involved than the RZR.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, I have a couple of questions about the steering wheel. Since it is leather, do you try to protect it when you wash the Ace? Also, do you feel the smaller diameter wheel requires an EPS. Even with the stock steering wheel tilted all the way upward, my knees drag on the bottom of the wheel when I enter and exit the Ace. I think a 2" smaller diameter wheel would help that a lot. So far I am riding only on woodland trails. There are some rocky sections that I go slow on but I don't foresee doing a lot of rock climbing. I don't relish the idea of installing an EPS.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have never bothered trying to protect the leather steering wheel in the RZR, and after 2 years of usage, it is not showing any signs of water issues.
I keep the hose mostly off of the wheel and dashboard anyway, preferring to wipe them with a damp towel. And then the thing sits in the shed and dries out.

I want the EPS even without the smaller wheel.
If not for the steering assist, then definitely for the tire yanking that goes on when I hit rocks, stumps, roots, etc.
Woodland trails are worse than more open rocky areas in terms of the wheel getting yanked and breaking your thumb - a sneaky little stump in the shadow of a fern on the side of the trail will GRAB your front tire, and if you're going 15mph, that's gonna hurt.

But when I installed the smaller wheel in the RZR, I installed the EPS at the same time.
This time, it will be different. I have a ride this weekend and don't want to tear down the ACE tonight and tomorrow and hope I get it back together in time.
So I will ride on Saturday with the smaller steering wheel, and by the end of the day I'll be able to tell you how much different it is.
Then I'll install the EPS, probably on Sunday.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here is my RZR steering wheel, which I installed almost exactly 2 years ago.
Note that there is dirt in every crack, crevice, and hole. I don't wash it that thoroughly.

Also, you can just see a nick in the outer wheel at about 1:00.
I don't know what made that nick. It was a flap for a while until I got irritated with it and cut it off.
Should have super-glued it down, but oh well.
If I'd remembered the price of the wheel, I'd have glued it. :)

View attachment 1081

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, terrific. I look forward to your expert opinion. Just so you know, I have very tame woodland trails. There is a lot of elevation change and some mud in the ravine bottoms after a rain. I built the trails with my dozer. It has an 8' blade so there is at least 8' of stump free smooth dirt in the center of most of the trails. I did not smooth the trails in the rocky areas as there was not enough dirt. I did use the edge of the dozer blade to get up all the stumps and saplings. After 20 years, I sold my dozer this week. I just have nothing else to develop. I will miss driving it, but will not miss all the maintenance.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If that's where you ride most of the time, then you probably don't need EPS.
What it will come down to is how many twists and turns you have, how tight they are, and how many hours at a time you ride.

You know how people who have not ridden the ACE are concerned about its power, and people who have ridden one are no longer concerned?
Well, it's kind of the same thing about EPS. People who have not ridden an ORV with EPS think they don't need it, and sometimes trash talk people who like it.
Then (most of the time) those people get to ride a machine that has it, and the story changes. I'm spoiled.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have two mules without EPS. My brother has a mule with EPS. I love the EPS. I just don't relish the installation. I am sure that I will do it in a few months as I cannot stop tinkering. I do have lots of tight turns so it would be very helpful in that regard. My typical ride lasts an hour. My right leg is very strained after an hour due to the heavy throttle spring. I have had frozen shoulder syndrome due to diabetes and don't want strained shoulder joints. Rehab from that was awful.

I look forward to your report after your weekend ride.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Even just maneuvering the ACE around in the driveway for loading onto the trailer, I can tell you that an 11" steering wheel without EPS would suck. A lot.
This will be an interesting ride. Fortunately, it's just at sand dunes and dirt roads, not a lot of low speed curvy stuff, or I'd swap the stocker back on real quick.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, I have another question about the steering wheel. Since it has an adapter, is the wheel closer to you? I would like for the wheel to be about 2 inches closer to me than the stock wheel. By body dimensions do not fit the Ace very well. Either my arms are too short or my legs are too long. I am only 5'8" but my legs are comfortable with the seat all the way rearward. When I have the seat all the way back, I have to stretch to reach the steering wheel. Consequently, I ride with the seat forward a couple of inches and my legs are not completely comfortable. Some sort of telescoping wheel would be great. Either that, or a thicker adapter. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My setup does not bring the wheel any closer.
However, there are spacers available that will. Exactly which one you need depends on what steering wheel you install.

Unless you're keeping your stock steering wheel. If that's the case, it's trickier because you'd need something with a splined hole on one end and a splined shaft on the other for your stock wheel to go on.
I just did a bit of searching and did NOT find one.

But what you could do is this:
1. Buy one of these adapters: 08 13 Polaris RZR RZR4 Aluminum Steering Wheel Adapter 5 6 Bolt Pattern Black | eBay
2. Buy one of these 2" spacers: http://www.amazon.com/Sparco-01595ANR-Black-Steering-Spacer/dp/B001TIAYXU
3. Put on a standard 6-hole steering wheel, like this one: Amazon.com: Momo TEA28BK0B Team 280 mm Leather Steering Wheel: Automotive
or a 13" one if you are not doing EPS.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, I really appreciate the information and respect your knowledge. I expect that I am heading for an 11" wheel with a 2" spacer. Again, I look forward to your report after a weekend of riding with the smaller wheel.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I got ace back today with EPS. Highly recommend if you ride tight trails. I also installed rear a arm guards, one bolt on rear side was a serious pita to tighten but im limited in tools. Got front ones too, but decided those could wait. Riding tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.