Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was sitting around this morning thinking about the air filters for our ACEs and remembering some comments about using grease on the inlet tube to try to keep dust out, and I had an idea and wanted to run it by y'all and get your thoughts, Rather than use grease which is prone to allow the air filter to come off, how about using one or two wraps of two sided tape. When the filter goes on the inlet tube and makes contact with the tape, and then the clamp is tightened, there should be no way for dust to enter and the filter will never slip off the tube because of the tape. I would suggest something like 3M tape because they make some products far superior to other brands. What do y'all think

·
Registered
525 Posts
Once the cover is on the filter can't come off. There is a ledge that sets against the back of the filter to keep it from sliding off.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Once the cover is on the filter can't come off. There is a ledge that sets against the back of the filter to keep it from sliding off.
Mine is fairly new and I was going on what I had read, because I haven't had my filter out yet

I wonder why people have been complaining about the filter coming off when the tube was greased and the clamp was tightened. Thanks Rockman

·
Registered
525 Posts
I never heard of that myself but I know mine won't come off. I just went and checked it again to make sure. My old 400 Sportsman and the 850XP I had were the same way.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I never heard of that myself but I know mine won't come off. I just went and checked it again to make sure. My old 400 Sportsman and the 850XP I had were the same way.
Maybe some have been complaining because when you grease the tube and tighten the clamp it slides off before you put the cover on to hold it in place. That's the only thing that makes any sense

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Check out these two posts (below), especially the video.
I was concerned about this because mine slipped when I tightened it. But then I noticed the ledge in the lid.
Then I got concerned about the UNI filter because of the soft edge, but then proved that the ledge still holds it on there good.

I recommend against two-sided tape. You could have a wrinkle or gap in the tape that would allow dust through.
Lube it, slip it on, hold it there while tightening, and then slap that cover on there.
Then take the cover off, make sure it's still seated, and put it back on to be double sure.

http://www.aceforums.net/forum/9-ace-talk/769-ace-air-filter.html#post6432
http://www.aceforums.net/forum/9-ace-talk/769-ace-air-filter.html#post6557

1 - 6 of 6 Posts