Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering purchasing an ACE and selling my 2002 Sportsman 600 Twin. The Sportsman is in great mechanical condition and serves me well for where I do my riding, southwestern Utah. My main reason for considering a change is that the Sportsman takes a toll on my body when on longer rides especially those over rough terrain. My arms and shoulders are the worst, but my back and legs can also be sore for a day or two after one of these rides.

I can live with the Sportsman. The pain and stiffness goes away in a couple of days. So my question is whether any of you put out the money for the ACE only to find it really wasn't worth the thousands of dollars difference?

Thanks for any input.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I say ace sounds like a good fit. I woulda also say the new sportsman with power steering probably is 100 times better than what your use to. I have a 325 ace and 2014 scrambler, which is basically a sportsman and the scrambler rides way better but the ace is nice on all day rides.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The ACE is roughly the same price as a new big bore quad. It's the RZR line that costs a lot more.
Each vehicle type has its place, the kind of stuff it excels at, so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

If you are concerned you won't like the transition to an ACE, you might invest in a new quad with power steering and better suspension than your 2002 model. They've come a long way since then. I hear the suspension on the Scrambler is awesome.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I borrowed a buds 13 or 14 sportsman 570 eps to go riding and it was like floating over rocks compared to the Ace. I like the Ace configuration and wouldn't part with it but there is no comparison when it comes to ride quality and the eps was the bomb.

·
Registered
552 Posts
You're old!!! Riding anything for a whole day will make you sore!! Ha ha. Maybe you can rent a ACE to try it out. Sometimes I feel better after a day ride then other times. I have two small kids. I cannot afford an injury, razor's are too expensive, that's why I have an ACE. I wanted a dirt bike but that would have caused marriage issues. You could add a suspension seat and some other goodies if you find it's too rough.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yes, I was within probably a week of trading my Ace for a quad, when my ridding partner had an accident on his quad. An Ace would have kept him from receiving the severe injuries he did, because of the roll cage and the inside seated position. The ride is not the best, but the safety features, IMO far outweigh the ride, after seeing what happens on a quad.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I'm considering purchasing an ACE and selling my 2002 Sportsman 600 Twin. The Sportsman is in great mechanical condition and serves me well for where I do my riding, southwestern Utah. My main reason for considering a change is that the Sportsman takes a toll on my body when on longer rides especially those over rough terrain. My arms and shoulders are the worst, but my back and legs can also be sore for a day or two after one of these rides.

I can live with the Sportsman. The pain and stiffness goes away in a couple of days. So my question is whether any of you put out the money for the ACE only to find it really wasn't worth the thousands of dollars difference?

Thanks for any input.
No. I traded for the exact reasons you are contemplating, and have no more pain and soreness like I did with my Sportsman

·
Registered
93 Posts
You could hold off until polaris improves suspension, it's inevitable. Prolly see a 850 or 900 in a year or two when they do improve suspension. The Ace is here to stay.

·
Registered
41 Posts
From another relative newcomer, welcome aboard flagboy.

You're certainly not the only one with "quad-aches." Not that 4-wheeling did-in the carcass, rather, decades of daily use/abuse. Oye .. ..

I'll be getting a machine this summer and have been all over the dartboard on what to get. Every machine has its +'s & -'s. But I keep drifting back to the ACE for several reasons:

Foremost, as Texan mentioned, is safety. But cages are inherent on virtually all UTVs. The ACE's big advantage, IMO, is its low centered cockpit design.
This not only keeps the machine centered, but also puts a little space between me and the "outer boundaries" (where tire-flung mud and slapping branches live).

50": 'nuf said on that.

Single seater: Maybe I'm just getting crabbier as I get older, but I prefer running solo. I've had enough inexperienced riders on-board who turned rides into trips to hell & back. [Gotta hand it to my ex, though. She was trail-ready, right out of the package] Anymore, this is my getaway ... I'm not the "Scenic Taxi Company."

Usage: Macho crap, we're not supposed to admit defeat. Yah, well, my white flag's up ... aches/pains win. But I'm not relegating myself to a recliner. All I'm surrendering to are my tech-crawling, mud bogging days. Now I want to catch more of what I zoomed past and missed the first 3-1/2 decades. All its limitations considered, a 570 is a pretty danged good fit for what I now need. I'll admit, this down-scaling thing takes a bit of getting used to. But I'm actually kinda liking it.

We all have individual reasons for liking or not liking one model over another. That's just my 2¢'s worth.
Besides, we've got an awesome forum the others can only wish they had!

·
Registered
80 Posts
I still have my old quad but rarely ride it since I bought the ace. my shoulders cant stand the beating anymore on the quad the ace is no where near as hard on my old frame. my sons still like the quad but they admit the ace is pretty sweet.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a Sportman 400 then got a 800 RZR loved the RZR but wife couldn't ride anymore miss the Quad but to old to go all day on it. Got the ACE 570 love it feel safe to ride but was scary on some. Put 2 in spacer on it took care of that problem. Love the way the ACE will power slide in sand washes come out straight due to length the RZR would fish tail. Good power shocked a few of the guys I ride with. I'm the only one in Wickenburg Az with a ACE right now but expect more to follow.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had a Sportman 400 then got a 800 RZR loved the RZR but wife couldn't ride anymore miss the Quad but to old to go all day on it. Got the ACE 570 love it feel safe to ride but was scary on some. Put 2 in spacer on it took care of that problem. Love the way the ACE will power slide in sand washes come out straight due to length the RZR would fish tail. Good power shocked a few of the guys I ride with. I'm the only one in Wickenburg Az with a ACE right now but expect more to follow.
you can't keep us old timers inside.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Still very early for me to tell. This is a couple of new things for me. It is the first 4x4 that ive owned as Ive primarily been sport quads and ATC's. Also only the 2nd sit down machine Ive ever owned. I had a Honda Pilot back a few years ago. While it was fun to drive it lacked because it was only 2x4. Either way Im sure we will love having fun on them.

·
Registered
421 Posts
No regrets here.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My only regret is jumping on board too soon and buying a 325 six months before the 570 came out.
In all sincerity, I regret that for you also Scoundrel

Reactions: KiwiACE

·
Registered
111 Posts
We had a friend over last week for a ride. Not an experienced rider.

Given that I could provide her with auto-type seating and controls, a seat belt and a roll cage, I felt confident sending her and my wife out for a ride. I don't think I would have done that with a quad.

In addition to pleasure rides, I used my old Foreman about an hour a month for yanking big and heavy stuff around. I do miss the bull-like quality for those jobs, but no way I would go back.

Matt B

·
Registered
61 Posts
I took my 400ex out for a ride on Sunday riding the trails above Lake Silverwood, CA. I was on a trail that was for Jeeps/Razers and ended up going off the back end on to my back while popping the throttle to hump up over a ledge. I will admit that I was on trail with a machine that should not have been. If i was on the Ace I would have had access to AWD and tried to have crawled up. I also would have had the cage. The biggest problem I find with quads or the Ace is that straddling ruts is difficult where as Jeeps/Razers make it happen. Too bad I don't have a dirt bike where i can pass through the crud...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts