Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok being a noob to ATVing, i'm curious about what most people wear? I'm assuming it varies depending on where you ride. Assume sunny and hot in my case. I'm guessing a t-shirt, even with the Ace roof, is going to leave me sunburned, but a long sleeve cotton T sounds really hot. I've been looking at the MX jerseys, but is that normal wear? Not that I really care how I look, but is that the best for comfort?

How about pants? I'm guessing jeans are the norm, but also likely to be warm.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
79 Posts
My favorite clothes are my neoprene gloves, they keep the rain and mud off your hands and keep all the heat in. They still give you enough sensitivity on the steering wheel but protect your hands from getting hit by sticks and getting grabbed prickly stuff. For the really got weather I have a lighter glove with plastic protection over the knuckles.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Ok being a noob to ATVing, i'm curious about what most people wear? I'm assuming it varies depending on where you ride. Assume sunny and hot in my case. I'm guessing a t-shirt, even with the Ace roof, is going to leave me sunburned, but a long sleeve cotton T sounds really hot. I've been looking at the MX jerseys, but is that normal wear? Not that I really care how I look, but is that the best for comfort?

How about pants? I'm guessing jeans are the norm, but also likely to be warm.

Thoughts?
It really depends on where you're riding and what time of year it is. If riding a lot of open trails you can get away with shorts in the summer, but wouldn't suggest them for going through a lot of brush. Jeans are good but in cooler weather I like my Marino Bay fleece lined camo pants. They can be bought through Sportsmans Guide website. Toasty warm and durable. Coats vary between light jackets to insulated coats. Just use your head when picking your clothes and you will be fine. I've seen everything being worn so there is no right or wrong, just what you need for your conditions Good riding. One other thing, wear the helmet always

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I like Underarmour underneath MX gear - even the Underarmour boxers and socks.
I wear heatgear in summer and coldgear in winter.
It doesn't chafe the way cotton can, especially under a belt when seated.
It doesn't feel like saran wrap when you get wet.
In the summer I just wear the heatgear shirt with no overshirt, and I use a spray bottle to keep it damp, which helps a LOT with staying cool.

Wet cotton socks, underwear, jeans and t-shirt SUCK.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Does everybody wear a helmet on the trail I have notice that some people with a roll cage do not wear helmets myself I wear one. I notice in crashes even with a cage the person inside still gets his head banged?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Helmets are personal preference. Myself - I think your a moron for not wearing one as even with a cage you can stand the chance of damaging your melon by slapping it against the roll cage during a crash or roll over. It baffles me the amount of people I see riding street bikes without wearing one. something about traveling 55-65 mph makes me want to protect the most exposed part of my body. Again - personal preference.

As far as clothing it really depends on the circumstances. I typically wear my old fishing waders in the spring as its super muddy in western MA. Come summer a pair of jeans and a jersey. Winter - overalls and a beater winter coat. All in all nothing special. Just wear for the right types of environment's.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Here in SW AZ, with temps in the 90°s and also in the mountains of western ID, I wear long jeans and long sleeved cotton shirts. Only time it is warm is when you're stopped for any length of time. Also wear leather gloves and usually a dust mask and ball cap. I have a roof on my Ace and still try to keep as much ultra violet rays away as possible. As a LEO in the hot humid south I had to wear long sleeve, so it does not bother me at all. Once in a great while I will wear shorts, but not often.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a "All the Gear All the Time" motorcyclist, so a helmet is a given. Not to mention, I still think it's odd that Polaris set the Ace up with a 3-point harness as standard. If you roll this the wrong way that belt may not hold you in place well. And without a helmet, it's gonna be a bad time.

·
Registered
93 Posts
The ace has a three point harness will anybody out their be going to up grade to a four point harness I am, their about $100 to $150

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yep, I am also upgrading to a 4 point.
The ace has a three point harness will anybody out their be going to up grade to a four point harness I am, their about $100 to $150

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I bought 4-pointers for my RZR. They were too restrictive. Couldn't reach the mirror to adjust it, couldn't reach the tilt window control, could barely reach the ignition.
As a result I got out of the habit of wearing it. And then I did a double-rollover. With no belt or harness.
I was wearing a helmet, which left paint all over the inside of the cab and broke a few things.

So I put the stock seat belts back in, which I DO wear.
And I will not be putting a 4-point harness in the ACE.

What's the best seat belt/harness to have?
The one you will actually use.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I saw that recently, in a photo of some racing ACE units. Haven't looked into them. For now I'm OK with the 3-pointers. I'm working hard on not crashing in a big way anymore. Also not breaking struts.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I've been using Frogg Toggs for years for riding when its chilly and wet. Always stay dry and the price is right. I would NOT recommend them in mild to warm weather though. You'll sweat your arse off.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I bought 1 for each of mine. The .50 Cal units for $100/ea. I agree with Scoundrel that they are restrictive but feel much more secure driving. The only time I really need to loosen it up is when I drive backwards. I typically don't drive backwards fast so I just take off the shoulder parts of the harness which makes it easy to twist around for rear viewing. Once done I slide them back on and continue away.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I typically wear khakis and a grey shirt - all of my clothes of those colors are work clothes and go in a separate laundry basket to avoid polluting our good clothes with dirt, grease, caulk, paint, etc. I will wear military-type pants if I somehow feel the need to be dressed better (planned dinner out after the ride.) Feet are well-protected in the Ace, so I might wear sneakers instead of my ranch boots. I tend toward the boots for snake protection when out of the Ace.

Light trail riding I do not wear a helmet. If I am on busy or technical trails, or will be on pavement, I wear the helmet. It is always with me. Traveling on the roads scares me the most - a motorcycle buddy in Georgia spent 45 days in a coma from what appears to have been an intentional hit.

We have been experimenting with goggles. They seem to let lots of distracting dust in. So far Scott have been the best. Here in low humidity, I wonder if sealed goggles might be OK.

If I leave my driveway, I have the seat belt,the fabric door closed, and lights on. I figure the people with the liability issues spent time getting it right.

We typically don't deal with chilly and wet here, so that simplifies things a lot. A windshield here would just be a dusty plastic curtain.

Matt B

·
Registered
93 Posts
I am wondering can you backup without taking the shoulder straps off to see to the back. I thought of the man in AZ. who fell down the hill and broke his leg if he had a 4 point and had to remove the shoulder straps to backup would their of been and protection from the roll over?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Its difficult for me to see behind me with the shoulder straps still in place. In the event of a rollover I would think the lack of the shoulder restraints would certainly cause you damage as your upper body would get tossed around like a ragdoll. At least with the shoulder restraints you have something to grab on to and "lock" your arms in place.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts