Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps. But wouldn't those make it harder to get in/out?
Also they're more expensive than the occasional bit of baling wire and/or a new rocker panel.

·
Registered
420 Posts
i wouldn't think they would make too much difference in the entry/exit but i haven't seen any installed other than pictures. I also don't know what it really does to ground clearance.
guess I need to fire up the CNC and make something lol

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My panels have gotten trashed when I drove over a small log that was sticking up about a foot to 18 inches on the side of the trail, and when the log sprang back up, or the ACE came down onto it after the wheel went over, the log cracked the rocker panel. I'm not sliding sideways into things.

I am not sure what would happen in that case with nerf bars. I am concerned that I'd get hung up on it, or the nerf bar's mounting point would bend.
I don't know how tough they are, but I do know that they cost a lot more than rocker panels and baling wire.

It also looks like they'd increase the step needed to get into the ACE and possibly result in some barked shins.

Not to be too much of a naysayer, but I'm not sure they're for me.

Now, a curved hunk of UHMW (rock slider) might do the job.

View attachment 1637

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, I have nerf bars and for me at least they do not impair entry into or exit from the Ace. I have never bumped my shins on them. They do offer protection for the plastic parts. I ride through the occasional briers, vines and brush by the sides of my trails and they were scratching up the plastic. The nerf bars do a good job of deflecting stuff to the side as they are wider in the back. The mounting points seem rock solid. The do take away some ground clearance. One-Shot was told by his dealer that you could gain almost an inch of clearance by adjusting the shocks. His dealer said that it did not affect the ride that much. We plan to try that tomorrow. That would make up for the loss of ground clearance from the nerf bars.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm. Well, that's worth considering.
Do they stick out past 50", making them another thing to take off when I want to go on 50" trails?

·
Registered
420 Posts
they look narrow enough for the 50" thing.
after taking a quick look at the side of mine it seems like you could weld up something pretty easy that would protect the side without sticking out and down as much as the factory bars and use the factory mounting points

·
Registered
420 Posts
its hard to tell from the pictures...do they mount with an expanding bolt like the lock and ride stuff?

·
Registered
447 Posts
They do mount with two expanding bolts. I weigh about 185 and have bounced on them and they do not give at all. The downward and outward design from front to rear helps to flow debris downward and away from the Ace. I will measure mine in the morning and report back to the forum the width at the widest point.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, One-Shot and I just measured the width of the nerf bars and they are only 42.5" wide. They are narrower than the rear fenders. However, in my experience of having them installed for several month and riding over lots of downed dead tree limbs, they are effective at protecting the plastic parts. Their downward and outward design seem to channel stuff away from the rear plastic.

We tried to estimate how much vertical clearance was lost due to the nerf bars. One-shot sighted underneath from nerf bar to nerf bar and his estimate was that they were about 1/4" lower than the lowest point of the skid plate. If I can, I will try to run a straight edge between the nerf bars and see if we can get a better estimate.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Perhaps when I finally spring for a set of new rocker panels, I will also get nerf bars at that time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
One-Shot and I put a straight piece of pipe between the lowest points on the nerf bars. The nerf bars cause the Ace to lose 1/2 inch of clearance. When he and I were riding at Barnwell Mountain there was one rock ledge that he could clear and my nerf bars would scrape.

We also adjusted the rear shocks to the maximum height and you gain 3/4 inch of rear height. As far as we could tell, the front struts are not adjustable so raising the shocks will not add much clearance.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Raising the shocks also adds stiffness. Those are preload adjustments, and it affects the ride comfort.
1/2 inch of clearance isn't a lot, I suppose.
With a 570, you could gain it back with 26" tires without losing much power.

·
Registered
552 Posts
These bars are on my list to make… This winter. Maybe I could make a couple sets for cheap for some of you.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The question is, could you make them, powder coat them, and ship them for significantly less than they sell for at dealers?

·
Registered
420 Posts
I wonder how hard it would be to buy those expansion bolts to use on some homemade bars. seems like a really easy way to mount them...if you have the right bolts

1 - 20 of 50 Posts