Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a lubrication question. I bought a grease needle and was successful in slipping the needle under the edge of the tie rod end boots and put a lot of grease in the boots. It does not appear to ever have been greased. The boots are now taunt with grease pressure.

I was not nearly as successful with the ball joint boots. The manual says to grease them. I was able to use a small awl and pry the edge of the boot outward and get the grease needle somewhat inserted under the boot. It did not take much grease, if any. Has anyone successfully greased the ball joint boot? If so, how did you manage it? I am concerned that what I did can actually damage the ball joint boot.

The grease needle worked great for the tie rod ends. However, I ruined the needle trying to extract it from the end of the grease gun. I have to buy another needle and I will buy another tip for the grease gun. Once I get the needle inserted into the new tip, they are married for life. I will swap out the grease gun tip with the needle when I need to grease the tie rod ends again.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I've never greased ball joints or tie rod ends.
The ones on my RZR lasted 2600 miles, which I am told is very good for a RZR.
The ones on the ACE have 1500 miles and are not showing any signs of getting sloppy yet.

There are aftermarket ball joints that have grease zerks built into them. You might be able to find a set that fits the ACE.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.