Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my blinker kit from Side-by-side stuff. It was overpriced as expected at about $210. Received the kit and it was evident that someone is piecing this kit together in their garage. Plenty of wire though, and seemed to be decent quality wire. Wire connectors are the crimp type but not water proof. The blinker switch attaches poorly to the steering wheel. I'm pretty sure it will stay put as long as I don't hit any bumps. If I hit some bumps I'll have to fabricate my own bracket that will tighten better. Good thing I only ride the ACE on a smooth race track. I might even have to mount the thing somewhere where I can drill into it. The switch is heavy and seems very well built otherwise. I'm a rookie at wiring and the wiring diagram was very easy to follow but it seems they left off the detail about about the final connection to the blinker. The black wire must go to ground (I think, I'm already forgetting). If it is reversed, the blinker will not operate (this detail caused significant mental pain). I mounted the flasher fuse under my dash behind the gauge. Seemed like a good spot. I did drill a small hole in the "firewall" with my right angle drill and used a black rubber sleeve (forgot the proper name) to protect the wire. The LED lights seem to be plenty bright enough and the indicator on the switch is nice. If your blinker is wired incorrectly the indicator will NOT light up (That happened to me several times throughout a 3 hour period). I like the small 3/4" blinkers, I noticed them at the local AutoZone for $9 each (a couple days after buying this kit). I'm not sure if they are as good or not because I figured I had spent enough on this project to try them. I added the blinkers at the end of the bumper and love they way they turned out. It was also nice not drilling into any plastic. Overall I'm excited that they all work and because of the struggle, I am extra proud of myself ha ha. If I could do it over I would try and find the same blinker switch thats on my Kubota and build the kit myself. However, I'm guessing it wouldn't have saved any money anyway and I'm sure other issues would have came up anyway.

Below: Flasher switch mounted behind gauges.
Electrical supply Technology Electronic device Wire

Below: Band that poorly holds on switch around steering wheel.
Ruler Measuring instrument

Rear blinker in place.
Automotive exterior Automotive tire Tire Bumper Vehicle

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Is your blinker switch the same as mine (see video)?
If so, I was able to get mine tight enough to stay put, on both the RZR and the ACE, by adding a bit of rubber strip between the metal band and the steering column.
If course the band will need to be longer for that, so hopefully you have enough left.
They have not budged in many miles of very rocky bouncy terrain.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is your blinker switch the same as mine (see video)?
If so, I was able to get mine tight enough to stay put, on both the RZR and the ACE, by adding a bit of rubber strip between the metal band and the steering column.
If course the band will need to be longer for that, so hopefully you have enough left.
They have not budged in many miles of very rocky bouncy terrain.

Good call, I was pondering adhesive tape but a rubber strip makes sense. It looks likes a similar unit. Thanks

·
Registered
111 Posts
It looks like a nice kit, but...

I am thinking four side marker lights at $3 each and two momentary switches at $6 each and fuse holder and wire from the leftovers bin in the garage. Twenty-four dollars, and I will push the button ten times.

Does your locality require approved stuff. We use arms here.

Matt B

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It looks like a nice kit, but...

I am thinking four side marker lights at $3 each and two momentary switches at $6 each and fuse holder and wire from the leftovers bin in the garage. Twenty-four dollars, and I will push the button ten times.

Does your locality require approved stuff. We use arms here.

Matt B
I totally agree, Michigan requires a pretty much official setup so arms definitely won't work, I've heard that it needs to be more then a switch you turn back and forth so that's why I made the investment but now seeing the whole picture I think I'd have done things differently.

·
Registered
111 Posts
That is what is so good about this forum. Person A takes a chance and reports. Person B takes a chance and reports. Person C has a clever idea. Person "M" has a dumb idea, but it just might work in Kansas! All people benefit from the shared knowledge and experience.

Matt B

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That is what is so good about this forum. Person A takes a chance and reports. Person B takes a chance and reports. Person C has a clever idea. Person "M" has a dumb idea, but it just might work in Kansas! All people benefit from the shared knowledge and experience.

Matt B
Hey, my ideas aren't always dumb!

·
Registered
20 Posts
I used the EZTSK turn signal kit. (easy turn signal kit) The 3/4 inch led's have three wires coming out of them.
One is ground, another is for clearance light and the third wire is for the turn signal blinker function.
This allows you to have clearance lights at the same time the turn signal is activated.
I am using butt splices from O'relly/s that have the heat shrink tubing already on them, so the connections are
more water proof. The turn signal switch is a pain to mount, it took me three attempts to get the metal strip
cut to the right length. I am using two lights on each corner, amber on the front and red ones on the back.
I am not sure but the led's at the auto parts store may have only two wires limiting you to just a turn indicator.
I would like to hear about others experience with installing turn signals.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.