Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do any of you have boxes in the back of your ACE's? Not the one from Polaris. I got a decent size tool box that I would like to mount in the back of my ACE but not sure of the best way to mount it. Looking for some ideas and pictures if any of you have any. Thanks in advance....Josh

·
Registered
123 Posts
You could drill holes in the bottom of the toolbox that line up with the holes in the bed and use lock and ride plugs. If the box lines up with enough holes that is.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I used a "Plano" brand box that I picked up at Fred Meyer.
To mount it, I bought two 90-degree angle brackets from the hardware store.
I set the box on the bed, set the angle brackets up against them and flat on the bed, and marked the holes where the brackets touched the box.
Then I drilled through the box, and bolted the brackets to the box.
Then I set the whole thing back in the bed, marked the holes where the brackets touched the bed.
Then I drilled small pilot holes, and used eye bolts to attach the brackets to the bed.

I used the eye bolts threaded for wood so the thread is looser and the tips are pointed.
I used eye bolts so that I can remove them with my hands instead of needing tools.
If you didn't want to worry about removing them without tools, you could use lag bolts.

I found that it doesn't really take much to keep the box seated in the bed of the vehicle.
But if you're going to beat it really hard, you might want to double up on the angle brackets or bolt through and put washers and locknuts on the underside.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The box was my first "budget mod". I first bolted it to the access cover, and then bolted the access cover down to keep it from getting away, as seen in this thread:
http://www.aceforums.net/forum/12-ace-builds/165-post-up-your-budget-mods-here.html

But later I disconnected it from the access panel and used the screws to attach it to the bed instead of the cover. I found it easier to remove the box separately from the access cover instead of trying to line up the access cover with the box attached to it.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The box was my first "budget mod". I first bolts it to the access cover, and then bolted the access cover down to keep it from getting away, as seen in this thread:
http://www.aceforums.net/forum/12-ace-builds/165-post-up-your-budget-mods-here.html

But later I disconnected it from the access panel and used the screws to attach it to the bed instead of the cover. I found it easier to remove the box separately from the access cover instead of trying to line up the access cover with the box attached to it.
Thanks Scoundrel for both post...that is what I was looking for. I do ride in some very rocky areas...couple years ago on my Sportsman 570 I had a bag on my back rack...by the end of the trip it was totally ripped apart just from riding on the rocky terrain it was crazy...I have a lock and ride box on my Sportsman 570 now...just not sure I wanted to pony up the $200 plus for the lock and ride box that goes in the back of the ACE when I had an extra tool box laying around. Thanks again for your ideas!!!

·
Registered
93 Posts
this month polaris is taking off $50.00 off there back box $199. I bought one last month yes 2 days before the sale. I like the fit in the hole gives a finish look.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I got the Polaris box on mine and i really like it. However it is NOT water tight, so keep that in mind. It says it's dust proof, but I've not tested that.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That is unfortunate because I often need to spray my box down after a ride, and I store extra clothing in there.
My Plano box has been great about keeping out water.
I have the Polaris box on order. I'll see if there is anything I can do to help with the water issue when I install it.
We'll see which one I end up keeping.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I like my Polaris rear box. It is made to fit the odd shaped hole, easy to install and remove with the two lock and ride clamps. So far, I don't have any leaks. My only complaint: it really gets hot in there. Do not pack your lunch in there. Scoundrel, if you just want to pack clothing in there and afraid of moisture getting in, pack in heavy duty plastic bags. There is a lot of room and plenty of little corners for stuffing small items. I bolted four more one inch D-rings on front and rear corners of mine for added bungee cord hook-up spots to tie stuff down on top.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Most stuff I have in the box is not water-sensitive. This just means I actually have to remove the extra jacket and sweatshirt after riding and before washing.
Which means those items might get washed once in a while instead of forgotten until the next ride. :)

·
Registered
107 Posts
That is unfortunate because I often need to spray my box down after a ride, and I store extra clothing in there.
My Plano box has been great about keeping out water.
I have the Polaris box on order. I'll see if there is anything I can do to help with the water issue when I install it.
We'll see which one I end up keeping.
I have the Polaris box on mine. It leaked from the get-go, but I added flat weatherproofing and now have no problem. Extra $9.00 but worth it. Any auto part store carries it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts