Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had any issue with the brake switch? Lately the ace won't turn over, I have to push extremely hard on the pedal to get it to start. Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Yes, my 325 is like that, I sometimes think its not working. Wonder if its adjustable. The dealer says just press hard on the brake.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It is not adjustable. It is a problem that happens occasionally with all the Polaris vehicles.
You can replace the switch to fix it or bypass it.
I wired a push button switch into the circuit on my Ranger to just bypass the brake for starting.
I think the switch is on the right side accessible in the front wheel well.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I pulled the plug off the switch, cleaned it good, filled it with dielectric grease and put it back together. it works like when it was new. Gets pretty muddy where it's located.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had it happen after it sat for a couple months on the 570. I unplugged it and jumped the plug to make sure it was the switch. You also loose brake lights doing this. I then pushed real hard and it works fine now.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Scoundrel is right. I think we all began to experience this soon after the ACE came out on the market in March of 2014, but it seemed to be an issue across a bunch of models with Polaris. The older the switch gets, (and sometimes this happens from new) the harder you have to push on the brake in order to activate the starter. I removed the connector on mine and coated it with silicone di-electric grease to prevent corrosion, but you still have to almost stand on the pedal to get the starter to run. I will be putting a push button switch on the dash soon. Problem is, just remember, if the starter won't activate, you don't have brake lights either. Seems a weatherproof micro switch needs to be installed on the brake arm which senses the movement of the brake pedal (just like in your vehicle) rather than a pressure sensor.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Actually the brake lights might still work. Apparently the brake lights and starter are controlled through the computer and it takes less pedal to operate the lights than it does the starter, at least that is the way it is on my Ranger. The operation showed to be progressive when I tested it with my VOM.

But it seems that the switch has continued to deteriorate over time and my brake lights are taking more pedal pressure to operate now. I will probably end up having to change it out eventually to keep the lights working.

I automatically reach under the dash now to push the button on my Ranger when I start it up. I guess it is a good theft deterrent.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I believe that switch is either closed or open. So the brake lights will not work. It doesn't use the computer on these to do it. Or on the rzr's. First thing i check when my machines won't start is if the brake lights are not working. If they don't work then it is this switch. unplug it and jump across the two wires on the plug and you good to ride but no brake lights. One year i was in hatfield mccoy on a cold morning around thanksgiving on my rzr 900. It wouldn't turn over at all. Once i figured out that it was the switch due to no brake lights , and that and i washed it late the night before. I just went back to my room and got a cup of hot water. Dumped it on the switch and it started right up.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I believe that switch is either closed or open. So the brake lights will not work
It works just the way I said it did on my Ranger. I know that for a fact. The lights come on a a lower voltage passed across the switch than it takes for the starter to engage.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This switch just connects two wires together. If it's connected at all the starter will work. The switch doesn't see any of the starters current it's just a safety. The lights definitely take less current thats for sure. Your saying the harder you press the more voltage is lets through the switch?

·
Registered
503 Posts
Yes, on my Ranger.
My switch was already compromised or I wouldn't have been testing it, but yes the lights would come on but it still wouldn't start. Press harder and it would start. I tested the pass through voltage and it increased the more it was pressed but it wasn't totally linear. Kind of like a sloppy two step.
I haven't tested a new switch so I don't know if a good one is the same.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's wierd. I don't see why they would want the computer doing that. If your foot is on the brakes at all the lights should come on. Seems like a waste of money for a more complex switch. Wonder if the old switch was just corroded at the connector or burnt up so it was just not a good conductor. Enough for the brakes lights but not enough for the starter relay.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i'm going to test the voltage and see if the switch is simply on and off. If it is I'm going to attemp to put a waterproof stop light switch on it attached to the pedal. I'll re-post when I get to it.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Great idea. I am hoping to try to set up a micro switch with an arm on it that will contact brake pedal at rest. When you touch the pedal, the switch will will make a connection between the two wires just like the pressure switch does. Only this will work like a pedal switch in a car. It'll be a week or so before I get to fool with it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Recently I've had to push the brake that hard to start I felt the seat was going to break so I've taken Rockman's advice and fitted a switch on steering column that works brake lights and starter. My brake lights require the same extreme pressure as starter which is ridicules, a pressure that would cause a 4 wheel lock up. Ace is now one year old but still has another year's warranty. Dealer has ordered a new switch but say's it too, will go hard in a few months.

Every road vehicle has brake lights that work with a touch on the brake pedal. Most new cars and for the past 30 odd years tractors, forklifts etc need to have the clutch or brake pedal pressed to start, with no problem.

Then how is it a firm like POLARIS make and pass such a useless hellish and terrible design and keep making it when every other vehicle manufacturer in the world can churn out thousands of vehicles with brake/start switches quite successfully. Polaris is needing to wake up and pay attention.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Looks like you may be moving snow for awhile. We got 20 inches. The Ace pushes great but bottoms out quickly. Have you had the same problem?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts