Polaris ACE Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was on a 4x4 trail, no harder than others I have been on. I guess I hit a boulder a little too hard with the right front wheel.
Rather than bouncing up and over, I heard a big CRACK! and suddenly I couldn't steer properly anymore.
I thought I had trashed a tie rod end or something, until I got a better look.

I love my ACE, but I do feel that these machines are more delicate than the Grizzly and the RZR.

I wonder if Polaris will cover it under warranty??
AH HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA I crack myself up! :rofl2:

View attachment 2559 View attachment 2560

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Better meaning I broke it harder and more spectacularly?
Or better meaning you had a shitty day and trashed your rig too, worse than mine?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
It wasn't really that big even, which is why I hit it that hard - didn't think it would be an issue.
I think that it was more square than most, and there was a little depression right before it from tires spinning against it, so the suspension was already compressed a bit when the wheel hit the rock.

Here's a YouTube video (might take a while before it is viewable, it's still uploading) of the jeep dragging me out to the main service road, and me hitch-hiking a ride back to my truck on the back of a raptor. I needed to be dragged down this road because there was a locked gate that we needed to get around before I could load it up in my truck. I only included 30 seconds of the jeep towing because, well, you get the idea pretty quick. I included the full 9 minutes of the raptor piggy-back ride because the guy who gave me the ride wanted it.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Yep, mine was on its side in the tree, but I rode it the rest of the day ....... You did good. LOL
Better meaning I broke it harder and more spectacularly?
Or better meaning you had a shitty day and trashed your rig too, worse than mine?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hmmmm.... Ouch & Ouch...

That's a long walk back... Lucky someone was there, jeep and raptor...
Mann, what a PITA those two "happenings" are... (Texan and his great display of the "skid plate" ) Yikes...

(and I got Walker mixed up with Evans... sigh, so many places, so little time eh?)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, it's all stripped down and the required blood sacrifice has been given.
Now I just have to wait for parts. I ordered an aftermarket CV boot kit and banding tool via Amazon Prime so I can get that done sooner, but there's no rushing the strut mount.
What do you suppose I could get for that cast aluminum part at a recycler?

View attachment 2562

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
LOL ..... Here is the desert SW, anything that reaches above your head is a full blown tree. :)
I totally missed the pics of your ACE on its side! Just went and found them.

And... you call that a tree? :)

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I looked at a lot of struts on eBay and none of them looked like the right one.
I went over to my local dealer. Big mistake, that was expensive.
They wanted a lot more than online shops, but once you're standing there face to face, it's hard to turn around and walk out, and I still need them to do stuff like press out/in wheel bearings, change tires, etc. which they do for very reasonable rates, so I didn't want to burn any bridges there.

But any altruism about supporting local businesses has suffered quite a bit today.

View attachment 2563

·
Registered
420 Posts
well thats cool...I would say keep the ball joint for a spare but it seems the strut breaks before it does

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
When the new one arrives I will see how wiggly the new ball joint is, compare it to the old one, and decide.
The old one doesn't feel super tight, so it might be halfway to being worn out already.
But I suppose if I broke a ball joint later, it might be worth keeping this one to get me back on the trail quickly. Wouldn't take up much room in the travel trailer in a small parts bin.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Part# 1823975 ASM., HUBSTRUT, RH, 4x4 [Incl. 5,9,10,21,22, STRUT]
Prices online are about $230, and if you buy anything else to get it above $250 you get free shipping at at least one online store. My dealer charged me $299.99 plus tax for it.
So you can see why I might feel a little hard done by.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some BrakeClean and a bit JB weld and your golden.
Just to play with your brain a bit, do you suppose the extra negative camber from your 2" lift could have contributed to your catastrophe?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Some BrakeClean and a bit JB weld and your golden.
Just to play with your brain a bit, do you suppose the extra negative camber from your 2" lift could have contributed to your catastrophe?
It's a 1.5" lift, and I don't really have any way of knowing. I hit a big-ass rock with momentum, and something broke.
Who's to say whether it would have gone the same way without the partially compressed spring?

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.