Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hub-strut, Racer Tech. my experiance.

OK, let's start at the beginning. I bought my Ace 570 last fall and have ridden several laps on a track we built on a friends 5 acre lot. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 16 hours over a few months to help brake it in. The track is very sandy with a few small tree roots to deal with at the most, but pretty smooth for the most part. By the way I live in west Michigan. So a couple of friends and I decided to try one of our many Michigan state trails a couple of hours north of us. The state trails were a new experience for me, but not for my friends I was riding with. After about 40 minutes of riding I caught a tree stump with my left wheel at maybe 5 to 7 miles an hour and the left hub strut snapped like a twig, (yes like many others I have read about in this forum). The State trails are very tight an riddled with trees, stumps, and roots. After reading about all the issues people have had with broken EOM Hubstruts, I noted the comments about the Racertech Hubstruts and decided to order my own (with the Racer Tech Tie rods) and forgo the OEM Hubstruts. I installed them a couple of weeks ago, in all a little over Five hours to complete both sides. That includes installing new or switching over the ball joints, bearings, boots etc. I then ran several laps on the same 5 acre lot as before. It felt great, very smooth, very precise.
OK now for the good part, Yesterday we ran up to the same state trails that destroyed my machines Stock Hubstrurt before. We rode for over three hours. I nailed several stumps, and roots as hard or harder then what broke the stock Hubstruts. I tried to avoid all that I could, but most are unavoidable to say the least. No issues at all. The steering is still true, the front end remains solid.
The moral of this story is. if you are running just dunes, soft trails, anything with little to no risk of hitting something hard and ridged you will probable be just fine. If there is ANY potential of hitting something like a small tree stump, or big roots as you would commonly find on state trials, get the racer tech Hubstruts. You will not regret it. Yes it was a few bucks, but anything with that high of quality would and should be. You get what you pay for. A very satisfied Racertech Customer to say the least. What is piece of mind worth to you?

Below I attached a small sample pictures of the state trails and the new Hubstrut.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Took mine with RT uprights to the dunes and jumped the snot out of it also hit some whoops really hard no problem for me. Love my RT uprights they give me the peace of mind to enjoy my Ace to its full potential

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
109 Posts
Doug-G I see you went with longer pinch bolts on your uprights. Good call I couldn't see leaving the short ones in either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
87 Posts
Awesome stuff. I've already talked to them....got a fair quote and just need to finalize the cash. Those are very definitely needed in my opinion. Shame that Po-Po couldn't have done a better job with these from the factory.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Yes, I admit for the most part I am pleased with the machine (the transmission could be better though). The OEM Hubstruts and tie rods are pitiful in my opinion. I believe it's more a materials issue over a design flaw. Should never have been made in cast aluminum.

You won't regret it.

·
Vendor
182 Posts
So happy to hear you like the parts! We appreciate your business and great feedback!

I believe we're building a short run of the final revision right now too. They look identical to Doug G's except the tie rods mount design is a little different. So if anyone wants a set they'll be available soon and going on our site next week.

Thanks again!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts