Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So excited my parts from Racer Tech have arrived. A lot of work ahead any advice welcome on putting these new hub struts in. I wonder if I will need special tools or not. I will be sure to take lots of pictures of the install.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I don't know what those special whiz-bangs in the ziploc bags are, or what the cylindrical things are.
But I can tell you that replacing the hubstrut assy with a stock one from Polaris that has the ball joint included does not take any special tools.

However, I see that these ones do not appear to include the ball joint. You may have some difficulty getting yours out.
I don't have any input on how to go about that, but I think that will be your biggest challenge unless you take it somewhere to have them extracted out of the old and pressed into the new.

Depending how many miles you have on your front end, you may just want to buy some new ball joints and stuff them into the new hubstruts and start fresh.

Oh, and it looks like you're in the same boat with wheel bearings.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The wiz bang bags are misalignment spacers and various other hardware the cylindrical things are new the tie rods. You can't use stock tie rods because the new struts use a double shear mounting for the tie rod. From what it looks like to me the ball joints are held in by a plate and 2 bolts. Have you tried to take yours out? I hope they aren't pressed in I only have 1 tank of gas through this thing I would like to reuse the ball joints if possible well I will keep my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I've had the plates off and kind of tugged half-heartedly at the ball joints and they did not want to come out easily. But I had maybe 1500 miles on it by then. Maybe fresh ones will come out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope so

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If they don't wanna come out I will warm up the aluminum with a torch I bet they come out then.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Spanner,
IM me. If you be'd willing to part ways with your old spindles, I'd like to have them as backups when I ride. I cannot afford the upgraded parts just yet.

Thanks,
Drew

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
You may want to consider leaving the ball joints in. If you sell them or need them to repair in a hurry, you will be thankful you did.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I sell them someone can just buy new ball joints. Also the whole point of buying the racer tech ones is to never need to repair these again.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just ordered new bearings and ball joints looking at getting them out there may be a chance of damaging them just trying to pull them out.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quick question scoundrel can the strut replacement be done without taking off all the front plastic? Basically all from the bottom.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cool

·
Registered
130 Posts
I don't know what those special whiz-bangs in the ziploc bags are, or what the cylindrical things are.
But I can tell you that replacing the hubstrut assy with a stock one from Polaris that has the ball joint included does not take any special .
It apears to the items in bags are the bolt on ball joints....?....

I used ratchet strap to compress the spring.
Watch the brake line routing.

Be patient with your self, if cussing insues- break time!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I never needed a ratchet strap to compress the springs.
I jacked the front end up, and when I loosened the bolts on the hubstrut, it just slid off the bottom.
When it was time to reinstall I lined everything up, put a block of wood under the hubstrut, and lowered the front end back down to compress the spring, then tightened the bolts.

But a ratchet strap works too. I have an electric hoist in the garage so it was easier to lift and lower the whole thing. Might be more work with a jack and stands.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the help guys

·
Vendor
182 Posts
Looking good! I think Ben from here got a hold of you this AM? Just let us know if you have any other questions and we'll be happy to help. We still plan to do good instructions on these but we were kind of planning to wait til we had the final production revision ready. These things really are pretty straight forward though.

HERE is a direct link to our Photobucket page we're dumping all our good Ace pictures on. I think you'll probably see some helpful stuff there.

Otherwise, here's a couple pics I just took of Jesi's front end. We just got it all back together with freshly powdercoated parts for the Polaris dealer show this month and this is the exact same Rev1 upright setup you got.

Note: The outer tie rod end is shimmed down on this car for the forward a-arms. For OEM a-arms you should have the joint centered by putting one spacer on each side.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts