Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here modified the roll cage yet? what im thinking about doing is taking about 4 inches of height out of the top where it comes to a point so to speak. t im short so I don't think the cage lowering would affect my head if I roll it, plus im going to get four point harness for it. just thought I would find out here before doing it. I will add a couple braces in also,just in case I do roll it. any replies will be helpful pics would be nice also. thanks

·
Registered
259 Posts
I have been thinking about the same thing. I have never liked that stupid looking hump and would like it to be a flat top as well. I have also been considering spreading the top bars out in the middle to make the top about 24 inches wide front to back and still use the bolt-together bungs so the cage can be taken off in two sections if needed. Any thoughts on how you are planning to do yours?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
im going to keep it the same width for sure probably cut it right after the front curve and go back at less of an upward angle should be able to take out at least 3 inches hopefully 4 inches. tig everything and put in some bracing. to darn cold right now so ill keep thinking about it till it warms up a little. that's why I wanted some feedback from some of you guys here.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Unless you are really tall, you can take 4 inches out with no problem. I took out about 4" with my new cage and went to about 32" wide and used the bolt together bungs as well. I am 6' and made mine so I could get rid of the hump, widen it up and still not hit my head when I wear a helmet. I still clear the cage by about 4 inches even with a helmet. I'm happy to share pics but it is not a modified cage, it is a new cage with the factory bungs welded in the same spots so I can take it apart and remove it if I want too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks luvdamud im only 5 8 so I didn't think I would have to worry much. i think with a little stiffing the cage will be alright the way i want. was just looking for someone who did it maybe a little different and better you know.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Do you put a lanyard on the key?
I suppose the key isn't very likely to come out while the machine is running, at least not until it's 20 years old.
I'm just remembering an old Toyota I had where the key could be pulled out of the ignition while it was running.
I couldn't use anything heavier than a plastic key fob, or it would fall onto floor while I was driving. :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Do you put a lanyard on the key?
I suppose the key isn't very likely to come out while the machine is running, at least not until it's 20 years old.
I'm just remembering an old Toyota I had where the key could be pulled out of the ignition while it was running.
I couldn't use anything heavier than a plastic key fob, or it would fall onto floor while I was driving. :)
I have the key cabled to the side bar so I won't loose it if it happens to come out. One thing I don't like about it being down there is the mud builds up on it, but it's worth it for me tho.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts