Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just doing some research and seems like California (at least) considers the Ace to be a RUV and not an ATV. That means that OHV parks that only allow ATVs won't allow the Ace. Hollister Hills upper ranch vs lower ranch for example.

Probably a very dumb idea, but do you think anyone will come out with a "saddle seat" (or close) and maybe cut out the round part of the steering wheel, leaving the spokes (so it kinda looks like handlebars)? That seems to be what CA uses to decide if it is an ATV or RUV (side by side).

I would really like the Ace, but would want to ride in the OHV parks.

Anyone from CA visiting the OHV parks?

thx!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

The ACE is presenting challenges in many areas where legislators used physical characteristics to differentiate between UTVs and ATVs, and now Polaris has gone and blurred those lines.
I suppose it is possible to modify an ACE to the point where it fits into the right category of CA's legal definitions, but I have no doubt it would be expensive and difficult.
I doubt that aftermarket suppliers will be coming out with bolt-up kits to do this, for a niche market like that.
I suspect that unless you want to wait for CA's legal system to catch up with Polaris on this, you're better off sticking with an ATV if you want to ride in the ATV-specific ORV parks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks!
I called a few and they are not all of the same. Some say "no", some say <50 inches, etc.
Would have been an easy decision to buy if it was treated like an ATV, now I have to research some more...

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I suggest you also wait a couple more weeks before you make any hard decisions. Polaris will be announcing next year's lineup soon.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts