Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well everyone I canceled the ace order. I actually got a Polaris 850WV terrain armor instead. I was at the dealer ship and my new ace I ordered was there but for some reason I was actually not that impressed with it. I took it for a spin and for some reason that i can not still explain was turned off. But the dealership still had one of the limited edition sportsman 850WV terrain armor google it its a pretty bad machine. PLus I got it for the same price as the sp.

·
Registered
525 Posts
The Ace is not that impressive driving around in the parking lot, at least it wasn't for me. My dealer has a couple of areas where you can get off the road with a couple of little hills and dips and that was better, but when they are on a real trail is when they come into their element.

I think you will like your 850WV if you are into hauling the mail, lol, in more ways than one. I had an 850XP Touring and they are impressive machines. I would have kept it if the better half would have ridden it but she was afraid of the EBS.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I want to know how much of a hard ride it is.
I visited one of those in the showroom, tried putting my knee against the tread and pushing hard against the tread. It barely moved.
So I figured: This thing would beat me to death on the trails.
The dealer insists that's not the case, but he wouldn't let me test ride it.

Also, at $1000/tire, and them being integrated with the wheel so no replacement tread, I decided airless tires weren't ready for prime time yet.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I actually drove one earlier this year on Black Mountain in east Ky. A guy had it on loan from a dealer friend to 'chech it out'. It had Great power. It was not as rough a ride as I expected. I see it's worth as a work horse. A hunting guide, on a farm, but I will take an Ace bar none over this. Although it did impress me, it was not practical for what I love to do, recreational riding, trails, hills, steep hills...

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yah, it seems to be "Geared" for utility use more than recreational use...
Looks nice...

·
Registered
394 Posts
The dealer where I bought my Ace has 1 of those on his floor. Been there for 2 years. They figured the police or game wardens would buy it.
He did say the tires were $4000 for a set.
It will probably go cheaper then a 2015 model.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I actually drove it around the other day and was very surprised how smooth it was i drove it up an old creek bed with a lot of rocks and it was very smooth the airless tires absorbed the bumps better then my ace did. but it is geard down for work. I bought it for work plus just to ride around the property. I have a friend in special forces and they have a few of these the military version and the military razor. He told me that they beat the hell out of the airless tires and they still keep going. The tread is made out of some new special compound that does not wear as easy at you all think. They have 4 military razors in there unit and he said they ride them all over the place and have for about 3 yrs now and they still have more then half their tread life on them. Plus I was thinking i would get a set of regular tires to use as well so I can alternate the wear on them. But man does this thing have a ton of power and with the power steering my 9 yr old can even drive it.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Nice! I guess it's just not knee-friendly.
I do have another question regarding the airless tires.
Would you please go find a nice deep mud hole - not muddy water, but sticky peanut butter mud - and tell us how well those honeycombs clean out when you get out of the mud? I would be very keen on the results of that experiment.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes I can try and find some mud out in the creek bed. I am under the impression from what i have read about them that they do not perform so well in really deep mud. From what i was told by my SF buddies they don't get the best traction but the clean out was pretty good but I too am curious for my own review. I did not get this for mud ridding I have my 900 rzr xc for that I mostly got this for work around my property and my kids and wife can drive it. I have a 900 ranger xp that We also use a lot around the property but that is gone to work with my construction company a lot. I will definitely let you know what i observe though. I will say though the peace of mind not ever having a flat is nice.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yeah, no tire is best for every scenario, and mudding should be done with specialty mud tires, of course.
I just want to know how well they clean out if one encounters some deep mud in the normal course of trail riding.
Thanks!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts