Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to put some 26x9x12s on, but I was concerned about how close the sidewall got to the little stand-off on the strut that keeps the tire from rubbing the coil spring.
I'm curious whether anyone has done this and is having rubbing issues there, and what the result is - Black marks on the strut? Sidewall peeling away? Performance issues around corners due to tire rubbing?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I'm running 26x9x12 bighorns on all four on stock wheels. The only rubbing I get is the inner right fender on full lock. Doesn't touch the strut at all.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's good information. Doesn't touch the strut AT ALL, even when on a sidehill, or turning at speed?
It seems like there would be SOME sidewall flex and it would touch occasionally, even just a little bit.

I don't suppose you'd be willing to use a Sharpie to put some color on the strut offset, and get back to me on whether the ink is still there after your next ride?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That would be awesome, thanks!
Just to be clear, this is the part I am worried about rubbing. Plenty of room in this photo with stock wheels/tires, but when I had a RZR wheel on there with 26x9x12, I had about a half inch there.
How much room do you have between that nubbin and the sidewall with your setup?

View attachment 1333

·
Registered
39 Posts
I looked this morning, probably 3/4 to an inch. And there is no signs of rubbing and I've had them on for probably 150 miles. But I'll try the sharpie thing.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I stuck my RZR wheels and tires on my ACE and did 15 miles of very rutty, rocky, challenging stuff with lots of sidehills and stuff yesterday.
I did not feel any rubbing or other downsides to running the 26x9x12 tires.

Later today I will wash the ACE, take the wheels off, and inspect the fender wells and struts to see if there are any signs of rubbing. I did hit the strut offset with a sharpie beforehand, so if it rubbed there, I'll be able to tell.

With those RZR wheels instead of the stock ACE wheels, the gap is only about 1/2 inch, but if it did not rub with the stuff I rode on yesterday, it ain't gonna.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The 25x8x12 BigHorns on 6" wheels at 5psi stand about 24.75" high.
The 26x9x12 BigHorns on 6" wheels at 7psi stand exactly 26" high.

Since only half of the wheel height translates to ground clearance, I can't have been getting more than 5/8" of lift from those tires. but they sure FELT and LOOKED bigger, and I swear I cleared larger rocks than I could with the 25s.
It's also possible that the extra 2psi made a difference too, and maybe the stiffness of the different sized sidewall.
Those measurements were done with the wheels off of the vehicle, no load.

I may be going back to the same riding area again on the 2nd, and if I do, I'll have the 25s back on, and then I will really get an apples/apples comparison.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Had my first ride on the new Bighorns today. Observations: Yes, you can tell they are heavier. Take off is a little slower and climbing a hill takes a little more throttle, but there is plenty of motor to do it. They seem to give a softer ride, don't feel as bumpy going over rocks. When climbing ledges or over large rocks, they grip awesome! Gave them a mud test too. The park had gotten some rain last night and the lower areas were plenty soupy and gooey. Did really well there too. So, I am very pleased with them so far and give them 2 big thumbs up!

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The interesting thing is that that are only 1.6 lbs heavier (x4), for a total of 6.4 lbs.
Doesn't seem like it would make that much difference. But I guess with the added diameter...

I guess there is that rotating mass thing too. That's probably where it really comes in.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I don't remember the specific weight of each, but picking up one vs the other, it feels like there is more weight difference than that.

Got curious, and did a quick search. Another member on this forum said the stock tires are about 15lbs. in front and about 18lbs. for the rears. Another search says the Bighorns are about 25lbs.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
From that thread I linked to a few posts back:

Bighorn ATV/UTV Tire Specs

Tire Size_________Tread Depth 32nds (Inches)____________________Weight- Lbs.
25x8-12__________________28/32 (.87")_________________________23.6
25x10-12_________________28/32 (.87")_________________________27.8
26x9-12__________________25/32 (.78")_________________________25.2
26x12-12_________________25/32 (.78")_________________________29.9
27x9-12__________________25/32 (.78")_________________________32.6
27x12-12_________________25/32 (.78")_________________________36.8
26x9-14__________________25/32 (.78")_________________________23.0
26x11-14_________________25/32 (.78")_________________________27.8
26x8-15__________________25/32 (.78")_________________________19.4
26x10-15_________________25/32 (.78")_________________________25.6

1 - 20 of 21 Posts