Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to atv's and there belt drive systems. I'm not new to trail riding mostly bikes and jeeps. Whats the best way to approach a long steep hill? I've been taking a big run and letting the momentum do most of work, but is that abusive to the clutch belt? This morning I took some hills I usually take in high with a good run up and decided to try them in low range. Got some some wheel spin at the summit but no digging drama. When running in a wash I cruse at around 20mph in 4wd, the motor seems a little bogged, in low range I can go about 18mph with the engine in it's sweet spot. Is any of this bad for the clutch? I guess what I'm asking is how to tell if I'm abusing the clutch?
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
This is an oft-argued subject. The manual has guidelines, but they are just that - guidelines - because there are so many variables.
Let me offer this generalization. It's what I've been doing for 8 years and I have never burned a belt.

The generalization is: Go with what FEELS right.
I know, not very specific. So let me add some stuff.

Don't do jackrabbit starts when the machine is cold (drag racing).
Always stop and drain the CVT (red valve on left side in wheel well) if you've just been through really deep water.

If you are going to climb a long, steep hill and you know it will bog down, go for low gear first.
If you don't know how long or how steep, go for low gear first.
If you're going into deep thick gooey mud, go for low gear first.

If you've done the hill and you know momentum will take most of it, plus a few seconds of struggling at the top, high gear is fine.
If you're just cruising along, and you're at 10-15 mph, but it's level ground and the machine's not really working hard, high gear is fine.
If you're going up a long gentle slope, but the RPMs are up pretty good and staying there, high gear is fine.

Basically, you just have to "feel" whether the machine is working hard or not, and try to keep the clutch in its sweet zone.
With the ACE, it would be really hard to trash the belt because the machine does not have huge torque numbers, and the gearing is such that the RPMs are pretty much always up.

You'll know you're abusing the belt if you can smell it, or if you can feel it slipping (because it's wet).

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Of course cameras can be deceiving, but that looks like the sort of hill I'd just blow right up in high gear and not give it a second thought.

You see a lot of people talking about belts on the forum, and people talk about Polaris belts in particular, but really these CVT systems are pretty tough.
Most of the time when a belt breaks or gets glazed, stops pulling properly and wears a groove in the clutch sheaves, it's because the drivers were not being reasonable about what the machine can do without damage, and pushing it as hard as they could. You'll see these people saying things like "ride it like you stole it" and "YOLO" and "LAWL" a lot.

Also, most of the belt issues you hear about are on big engines that can put way more strain on a belt than the ACE can, and more often than not the machine has been altered with an aftermarket clutch that "grabs the belt better", or a turbo kit, or a programmable CDI/ECU, or all three - and they're cranking the performance up beyond what the manufacturer designed as a safe zone. The belt can only take so much.

Expect a lot of performance from your ACE with its stock engine and transmission - but don't be unreasonable or dumb about it, and you'll be fine.

That being said, if you take your ACE on a 250-mile loop spanning mountain ranges in the middle of nowhere, 500 miles from home, pack a spare belt on board, and the tools to change it. Just in case. See this thread for details on that: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/13-ace-how-s-guides/184-emergency-belt-replacement-trail.html

·
Registered
107 Posts
Has anyone on the forum installed a clutch kit on their Ace. If so,what brand and where available? Would it be the same as the RZR 570? I know when I installed just lighter rollers in my King Quad , it make a world of difference in performance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Oldway,
Cant wait til November 9th.
We will be back at Emerald Cove, in Earp, CA for the winter, in New Hampshire right now.
Seeing the pictures reminds me of riding last winter.
Be there with a new Ace 570.
Don't know how you stand the heat of summer?
E Sven

1 - 6 of 6 Posts