Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On another thread I mentioned that I had 27" tires with 2" spacers. Scoundrel asked about possible power loss with the larger tires. This week I had a chance to test the 27" tires against two other Aces with 26" tires. This is the result of that very unscientific test.

Below is a photo of the three Aces involved in the comparison.

View attachment 1368

The Ace on the right is Greybeard's. It has Sedona Ripsaw tires and Polaris wheels. His tires are 26X9R14 on the front and 26X11R14 on the rear. The middle ace is Hayseed's with Roctane XD tires, ITP SS112 wheels and SuperATV 2" spacers. My tires are 27X9R14 on the front and 27X11R14 on the rear. The Ace on the left is One-Shot's. It also has Roctane XD tires and IPT SS112 wheels. His tires are 26X9R14 on the front and 26X11R14 on the rear.

Below is a phot of the three Aces from the front. Greybeard's Ace is on the left and One-Shot's is on the right.

View attachment 1369

We could detect no power loss from the 27" tires vs. the 26" tires from riding a variety of trails. One-Shot and Greybeard then conducted several drag races between their Aces and my Ace on a long section of my driveway. Because of the larger tires, the speedometers are not accurate. I expect that they hit speeds of about 40 mph. After several drag races, there was no discernible difference in the performance of the Aces.

I cannot comment on the performance impact of the larger tires at max speed. I have no straight stretches long enough hit max speed on an Ace. I also cannot compare the performance to stock 25" tires. I would point out that the 2" wheel spacers weight 9 pounds for a set. My Ace had 18 extra pounds in the wheel area. The drivers in the drag races, Greybeard and One-Shot, are comparable in weight.

There are some other facts about the tires that are worth mentioning. First, with the ITP SS112 wheels and the 26" ITP Roctane XD tires, One-Shot had some tire rubbing against the front fender well. He has ordered 2" spacers to eliminate this. Greybeard's Sedona Ripsaws with the Polaris wheels did not rub even though the Ripsaws measured 1/2 inch wider than the Roctanes. The Polaris wheels have a different offset than the ITP SS112 wheels.

Greybeard's Ripsaws were 58" wide in the rear and 52" wide in the front. I have read reports of those tires having problems in the manufacturing process but his tires were perfect. One-Shot's Roctanes and with the ITP SS112 wheels were 54" in the rear and 50.5" in the front. My tires were 58" in the rear and 54.5" in the front with the Roctanes, ITP SS112 wheels and the SuperATV 2" spacers.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Thanks, Hayseed, that should be pretty helpful for people figuring out which way to go.

I should note that I have compared 26x9x12 Bighorns vs 25x8x12 BigHorns, and that comparison is still ongoing. I'll know more after Aug 2nd.
But I did notice a drop of about 1-2 MPH at the top end with the 26" tires on there. I rarely go that fast anyway.

I cannot speak to any low end power/takeoff speed differences between the two as I did not have another ACE to compare against.
But I can say that in technical trails last weekend, with lots of hill climbs and low speed crawling, I did not feel any lack of power with the 26" tires.

On Aug 2nd, I will be running that same riding area with the 25" tires on, so I may notice some differences.
My 25" tires were actually 24.75", and my 26" tires were exactly 26" when mounted on 6" wheels.
Your height may vary based on width of your wheel and tire pressure.

There is a 1.25" height difference between the 25x8x12 and 26x9x12 tires, on the wheels that they were mounted on when I measured them.
Only half of the height difference translates to ground clearance because the axle is in the middle, so that's 5/8" of clearance.
It is also possible that the actual ride height may be different when the tires have load on them due to sidewall stiffness differences between the two.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I noticed quite a bit of performance loss going from stock to 26x9 bighorns. But they are original bighorns and they are pretty heavy. The biggest area I notice a difference is lower speed in high range. Which I already know you should run in low so I don't need that told to me.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I can see how there would be a power and speed loss from stock to BigHorns.
For me, there was no option on that because I am very hard on wheels and tires.

I am not sure I agree with the use of the word "performance" there, because not developing bead leaks after rock hits, and not being punctured and shredded by rocks and sticks and things on the trail is part of wheel and tire performance.

·
Registered
89 Posts
The drag races that Hayseed discussed were up a long hill. There was not enough width for us to race side-by-side so it was a countdown start one behind the other. There were also a couple of kinks in the road that occasionally caused one or the other to do a slight throttle blip. But to that point...probably 30MPH, the inaccuracies of the two of us trying to start precisely at the same time probably introduced more differences than the wheels and tires did. We will have to conduct a better controlled drag race among the three machines when we can find an appropriate place. We will and one of us will report on it. In the meantime, I think the three of us have concluded that there are no practical differences. In trail riding, which is normal for us, the very minor differences are inconsequential. Note the video called Yellow-Jacket is a video of me in Hayseed's ACE (center machine in the photos) with the spacers and was taken by OneShot.

I will blame the slightly wider front stance due to the spacers for that one place that I had to back up because the left front hung on that little tree. Yup .. that was it .. not driver error.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am trying very hard to convince the wife to let me purchase the new ace 570. I think she's about to cave! As part of that excitement I'm pricing all the "necessary" modifications the most important of which are wheels and tires. She decided (lol) we are getting 14x7 STI hd4 wheels which only come in a 4+3 offset. She's letting me choose the tires and I'm going with 28" zillas (true measurement around. 27"). I plan to install a 2" lift as well. Do you think I will have any rubbing issues? I would prefer not to run wheel spacers if possible

1 - 7 of 7 Posts