Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to convert the front suspension to double wishbone in the front and keep the stock width and travel?
Any ideas how much a conversion like that would cost?

·
Registered
421 Posts
I'm wondering that too. I'm thinking a Sportsman 850 a arm setup might be a good starting point. But I wouldn't be surprised to see Polaris come out with a new ifs model in the next few years.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Doubtful that you can keep the same width because of the foot well. I think that is the reason they went with struts to begin with.

Call Catvos in the morning. They will already know since they modified Dgandy's rig.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Shreveport, LA? I presume they'd need the vehicle on hand, and there's no way I'm paying that much freight.
Guess I'll either sell it, or teach myself to ride slower.
I wonder if taller tires would help absorb some of the shock. Probably would introduce some new problems.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Because I don't want to deepen my investment in a platform that I want very much to like but is starting to seriously disappoint me.
In particular, I am concerned that a larger motor will only increase the likelihood of more occurrences of broken struts, stranding me deep in the woods or the desert.
I have been lucky the last two times, and have been within 50 feet of a service road both times. That luck cannot last.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Because I don't want to deepen my investment in a platform that I want very much to like but is starting to seriously disappoint me.
In particular, I am concerned that a larger motor will only increase the likelihood of more occurrences of broken struts, stranding me deep in the woods or the desert.
I have been lucky the last two times, and have been within 50 feet of a service road both times. That luck cannot last.
Scoundrel.....ever think it might be a better move to just slow down a bit. You don't always have to be the first one there, and just a bit slower may make your ACE be exactly what you want. It's not a race everytime you ride. Start enjoying it a little more. Not trying to be a d%$k here just cant see why you've turned 180 degrees in a few days, but you are right about one thing, that 570 you're wanting will definitely break more things than the 330 if the power isn't managed, and managed means driven like you are not in a race everytime you go out. Good luck with your decision

Reactions: Nomad570

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vandal: Yes, I have thought about that. See the more recent posts in "Broke my ACE Today" starting here.
I was going less than 10 MPH both times. Maybe a series of other higher speed hits weakened them, I don't know.
But I have put many thousands of miles on many brands and models of off-road vehicle, including the Polaris RZR.
While I have bent and broken other parts, and fully accept my responsibility for the damage, the mode of failure (how it breaks and how bad the result is for me) in this case is not acceptable.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Try riding a scrambler 850/1000 if you want butter smooth suspension.
I just want a suspension that doesn't freaking snap in half and strand me in the woods when I hit a goddamned rock or tree root.
I don't think that's too much to ask.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't know, when I first seen the ace I told my racing buddy that I didn't care to much for the aluminum bases on the struts he said then that given time if they prove to be crap the aftermarket will come up with something if Polaris doesn't,i guess we will have to wait and see. cast aluminum parts aren't meant for that kind of rough use in my opinion. hasn't happened to any of the guys I ride with but if it does I will ;et you guys know.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Scoundrel.....ever think it might be a better move to just slow down a bit. You don't always have to be the first one there, and just a bit slower may make your ACE be exactly what you want. It's not a race everytime you ride. Start enjoying it a little more. Not trying to be a d%$k here just cant see why you've turned 180 degrees in a few days, but you are right about one thing, that 570 you're wanting will definitely break more things than the 330 if the power isn't managed, and managed means driven like you are not in a race everytime you go out. Good luck with your decision
Ive actually watched most of his videos and follow him yootube. Hes not really that crazy imo

·
Registered
86 Posts
Scoundrel, keep the ace, there are options out there. You could wait for aftermarket to make something, you could work directly with aftermarket and help them make something, or you could find a good fabricator that could weld up some gussets or trusses.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Scoundrel, did you happen to read the February issue of atv/utv action magazine? They race some Ace 570's at the Iron man GNCC, at the Intro they 15 units all with stock wheels and no EPS and not one broken strut. At race time they all got machines with offset wheels and bigger tires as well as EPS as a result several broken struts! Their conclusion was too much added stress from the wheels and tires but also the EPS system does not allow the steering and suspension to deflect off rocks, ruts and other trail junk and puts additional stress on the struts. Funny but what makes the EPS so good for most machines actually hurts the Ace. Ane I believe you installed EPS on yours. They stated that if you were getting an Ace to ride aggressive don't get the EPS system and steer away from offset wheels and bigger tires, at least till Polaris put A arms on the front. I believe they will soon and until then like you, I'm happy with my little 325cc. I have 2 Rzr 900 trails for when I want to go fast and the Ace is great for checking out and clearing trails. Hope this helps....

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
My wheels are stock sized Polaris wheels.
They're from a RZR, but they are the same offset and size as stock ACE wheels.
My tires are BigHorns, but they're 25x8x12.

I can see how the EPS would contribute, not allowing the steering to unwind and spin the steering wheel in my hand.
But there's no way I'm giving up the EPS, and I don't think it's that big of a contributor.

I believe 4Nines was talking about that video, and the broken struts were a result of hitting trees.
With wheels/tires that stick out a little further than stock, in a race scenario, shouldn't surprise anyone when they hit trees and snap.

I'll probably just ride the ACE like a granny for a while until something becomes available to reinforce the front end.
I suppose I could talk to some local welders and see if they could come up with something.

1 - 20 of 152 Posts