Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to have scraped some of the plastic housing off of one of my brake lines, so it's down to the brained stainless housing now.
There's no leakage that I can tell, and it's stainless steel so it shouldn't rust.
The line was subjected to some stress when this happened.
I'd rather not buy a $42 brake line and then have to bleed the system, but this is a pretty important safety component.

What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Try a couple of panic stops in the yard and if there is no leak or apparent problem, then drive it. Just keep an eye on it for the season.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, that sounds good. I'll also take the wheel off tomorrow and get a better look, see if any of the braided stainless is frayed. If so, that will allow the hose to balloon and that's no good.

·
Registered
420 Posts
If it was just abrasion I would just stress(leak/bulge) test it and wrap it in split fuel line or the like to give it back some buffer protection. If it was possibly stretched I would replace it as I have had stretched lines fail at the fittings.

·
Registered
552 Posts
This thing hardly needs breaks, like a snowmobile… you take your foot off it and she just clams right down. Once in awhile you might have to head for the ditch though. :cop2:

·
Registered
420 Posts
its those downhill runs out here in the mountains that when these things freewheel(non-ebs and all) that brakes become real important real fast :D

·
Registered
41 Posts
I tend to agree with Mustang. A skinned wire would be one thing, or if you're just limping it thru the rest of a run. But for continued use, you're 107% right that this "is a pretty important safety component." Fifty bucks & bleeding is a royal PITA, but losing brakes in the middle of no-man's land ... ...

Is this related to the busted front end ordeal, or something totally unrelated?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Dad told me you had a breakage.... glad you ok, now to brske line. Replace it. This can turn into a SNAFU...... Situation Normal All F****d Up. And when Uncle Murphy gets involved, I wouldn't gamble a brake failer. Lori was driving when the clip and rod came off the brake pedal. Said it felt different. I didn't find it, untill we was on the trail again coming Atv's in a curve and slammed the brakes and didn't stop. Barely missed rearending me into those atv's.

duane
two 2014 Polaris ACE

1 - 11 of 11 Posts