Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Here is my solution to keeping the mutt where she belongs , instead of falling off the back when
Mrs. M punches it . Hills were even worse .

This works perfect ....................

$32 bucks worth of 3/4 inch pvc and fittings from Home Depot ,including the cleaner and cement .
a rattle can of flat black and
the straps and snaps I already had from a different project . But they came from Wal-Mart.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hmmm...

For my RZR, I bought an extra seat base and a baby's car seat.
Bolted the baby car seat to the RZR seat base, and hey, presto! Small dog car seat.

I've missed riding with Roscoe since I got the ACE, but didn't see a good way to bring him along.
Something like this could work, wouldn't interfere with the trunk box mounting, and would be easy to remove when I don't have Roscoe along.
I could even put some pipe insulation around the PVC (if they make it big enough) to make it softer for him.

I might just try this out!

View attachment 1900

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
$32 bucks worth of 1 inch pvc and fittings from Home Depot ,including the cleaner and cement .
I counted fittings in your photo and went to the store and bought some stuff.
But the pipe does not fit in those holes. Are you sure you didn't use 3/4" PVC?
The inside diameter of those holes is 1".
The inside diameter of 1" PVC is 1".

Too late tonight, they're closed, guess it's back to Home Depot tomorrow to return the stuff and buy 3/4".
Good thing the store is only 1/4 mile away.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I also suggest building it in place as you go , it's not as straight forward and easy as it looks
the sides lean in on a slight angle.....................

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Ah, the 3/4 pieces are a nice tight fit. They will need a little tapering, as you said, so to be able to fit in there fully, and it will be a press-fit.
I might also heat up the pieces to bend them inward to match the ACE's contours all around.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
OK, my cage is assembled (dry fit).
I closed up the gap on the rear bars somewhat to keep him from sticking his head through the holes, and angled the bars inward.
I went with a taller cage even though my dog is smaller because he likes to stand up with his front legs on stuff to look around, and the taller cage will give him something to hang onto and still keep him inside.

Now I gotta pull it off and take it apart to glue everything, making sure to glue it in the right order because once it's set, it's not coming apart!
Then I'll paint it and work up straps or something to make sure it stays on.
I'm also going to try out the pipe insulation and see how well that works.

Thanks for the idea and basic template!

View attachment 1906 View attachment 1907 View attachment 1908

·
Registered
420 Posts
is it weird that i keep thinking about national lampoons and ol sparky (or what its name) tied to the bumper...lol
and the cop says: "probably kept up with ya for a mile or so"

·
Registered
79 Posts
You could always get some rubberized undercoating from the parts store and spray it in that...it should hold up much better than paint.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts