Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been sifting through the tire comments on many posts and about the only topic I haven't seen much on is DOT approved tires. In Michigan in order to make this thing street legal, you need DOT tires and wheels. (to ride on many of the two-track logging trails you need street legal) I've found one site that has some. Does anyone have any comments on this? I'd like to keep it close to 50" in width if possible. What would you guys buy? Has anyone bought DOT tires for this?

Polaris Sportsman ACE Street Legal DOT Stuff: SideBySideStuff.com

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I can't speak to the DOT aspect, but if you stick with the stock wheels and buy tires that are not wider than stock, you should stay under 50.
One option is to go with 25x8x12 all the way around, which will narrow down the rear some - but there will be less wheel protection, so you'll get more dents.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just picked up the STI black diamonds. The look awesome! Seems like a great deal. What torque setting are you guys using to re-tighten the tires?

·
Registered
447 Posts
The Ace manual for the 2014 model specifies 27 ft. lbs. for the steel wheels and 30 ft. lbs. for aluminum wheels. I torqued the the Polaris specs and have not had any problems.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ha ha, just looked in the manual and was going to update this post and you beat me too it. I didn't remember that being in the regular manual.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI: The weight was 7lbs more for the front tire and 9lbs more for the rear. I kept the tire size the same as the stock tires. 25-8-12 / 25-10-12

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Loving these tires. My yard is not but I don't care. I'm the guy on the block who's yard looks terrible and mows on Sunday. I noticed that these tires scrape my wheel-wells in my truck so I measured them, 50" wide in the rear.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts