Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just got this thing installed and I have to say that it is way more comfortable than the Pro-Armor. I wanted an "H-Style" and I originally ordered the Pro-Armor from amazon but when it showed up it most definitely was NOT an H-Style. On the Pro-armor you have to make 4 connections (including the chest clip) every time you get in or out. With this one it's a single latch at the bottom plus chest clip. Installation was fairly straight forward but it did require a small modification to the belt slot on the right side. I used my dremel to open the slot up about 1" to make room for the harness anchor. All said and done it was about a 60 minute install and that included a trip to Ace Hardware (giggle) to get a plastic fender plug thingy and a bolt for the left side where the seat belt retractor was.

Here's a pic:
Vehicle Personal protective equipment Automotive exterior Auto part Car

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cracker, that dragonfire harness is Identical to my Pro Armor. I only make a single latch connection and the chest clip as well. The Pro Armor also has a pocket for keys and a pocket for a cell phone in the front of the harness. I'm not sure which model Pro Armor you had.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I guess I should clarify. (shouldn't drunk post to the forums) :lol:

I ordered from Amazon what was SUPPOSED to be an H-Style Pro Armor, and even though it said it on the box it most definitely was not. There were 3 distinct points that would have to be connected at the latch plus the chest clip. I think there was a change in style for the PA from the multipoint whatever thingystyle over to H-Style. I'm not sure. But heck, at this point I'm happy w/the dragonfire. I think from a padding / comfort POV either one would probably be just as cozy.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Looks good Cracker.

About three weeks ago, I went over backwards, did a pirouette on the right rear corner, then on the front and finally stopped on right side with top facing down hill. As soon as I started over backwards, I was very aware to hold on tight to the steering wheel to keep my arms from flopping around outside the roll bar area. My stock 3 point system held me in just fine. I really had to struggle to release it with all of the weight hanging almost upside down. After it was all over, I just crawled out. The Ace is not made for a fat old guy to crawl out of when you're almost upside down on the downhill side. I could see a big problem with a serious injury and rescue folks getting you out of such an enclosed space. I came out of it without any injuries or bruises at all, and was not even sore the next morning. It gave me a lot more confidence in the Ace protection wise.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I had the Drangonfly 4 point harness in my RZR 800 loved it. Make you fell safe and don't tighten up on you like 3 point. This is next for my ACE thanks for putting a picture on your post because I wasn't sure how in would fit with the stock seat

·
Registered
447 Posts
Stubby, glad you came through this without injury. I have been debating whether to get a 4-point harness. I suspect that I will but I tried one on a RZR about a week ago in 95 degree heat. The straps trapped body heat in the Texas heat and quickly got uncomfortable. How much damage was done to the Ace?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Interesting, I had the 4pt Dragon in my XP and it felt fine and secure.

I'm thinking the 5pt for the ACE to keep me from falling off if upside down. Seems like the 4pt would hold you in, but waist & thighs might drag your through the harness...
While I'm still not clear on how the 5pt connects, crotch strap between legs, I've see a 6pt? with loops around each thigh.

That sounds a little too complicated and might take half an hour to buckle up and unbuckle for those ride stops along the way..

Probably over-thinking it which is typical, but.....

Working on it..

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had the Drangonfly 4 point harness in my RZR 800 loved it. Make you fell safe and don't tighten up on you like 3 point. This is next for my ACE thanks for putting a picture on your post because I wasn't sure how in would fit with the stock seat
Hey man i'll take a picture of the small modification I had to make to the plastic on the right side tonight when I get home and post it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Hey man i'll take a picture of the small modification I had to make to the plastic on the right side tonight when I get home and post it.
And I assume a small plate on the back side to make it secure...
Interested in the pics too..
thanks...

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good Cracker.

About three weeks ago, I went over backwards, did a pirouette on the right rear corner, then on the front and finally stopped on right side with top facing down hill. As soon as I started over backwards, I was very aware to hold on tight to the steering wheel to keep my arms from flopping around outside the roll bar area. My stock 3 point system held me in just fine. I really had to struggle to release it with all of the weight hanging almost upside down. After it was all over, I just crawled out. The Ace is not made for a fat old guy to crawl out of when you're almost upside down on the downhill side. I could see a big problem with a serious injury and rescue folks getting you out of such an enclosed space. I came out of it without any injuries or bruises at all, and was not even sore the next morning. It gave me a lot more confidence in the Ace protection wise.
I stashed a seat belt cutter up in my overhead pouch just in case.

Tool

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I'm interested in the retractable 4-pointer that Polaris has for the RZR. If it's spring-loaded just like the 3-point, and same type of belt, I might be up for that.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so here's a snapshot of my modification to the right side mounting area. I just opened the hole up about 1" with a small cutting wheel on the Dremel. Once I had the hole the size I liked I switched to a cloth polishing tip and just made a nice radius on all the sharp edges. I'm not worried at all about tearing.

As far as a metal plate goes I didn't see any reason at all to add one since it fastened in there like a rock with no pinches on the nylon.

Auto part Metal

·
Registered
344 Posts
Interesting, so what's hold it in there.. bolt/screw/friction with a double layer folded over on the belt?

Apologies, I don't have one that i can see close up. I was just wondering..

Thanks..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts