Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I was thinking about the Ace after a ride this weekend and wondered if some of you had the same thoughts as I do about the "driving experience". I know many of you have other off road toys that you ride as well and after a 30 mile ride in the woods on Sunday, it really brought home the differences between the different toys. I thought that I would want to build the ACE up and have more power from the 570 but to be honest, it doesn't have the suspension to use it. It pulls good and I can now see why a lot of the 330 Ace owners are more than happy with the power levels. Don't get me wrong, it's not bad at all, I just can't seem to leave anything stock but I think the Ace may stay that way.

Personally, I feel if it had too much more power, it could definitely get you in trouble with the shorter wheelbase, narrow track and suspension. Since you have no ability to use body english like you do on an ATV, it can take a bit more finesse in certain situations. Thank goodness for the lower seat height, that definitely keeps it feeling planted, especially on hill climbs. Most of my riding is on trails, logging roads and power lines large enough to support a side by side so I am fortunate there. I don't know how you guys that are forced into 50 inch trails only stand it! Other than maybe a bit of clutch work, I'm pretty sure I'm not doing much else. Maybe exhaust and tune but probably not. I like the fact that it is fairly quiet when zipping around the trails.

After riding around the exact same trails that I take my Wildcat X on, I really have to pay much more attention to picking the correct line as well as trail obstacles and trenches that I just straddle in the Wildcat and don't think twice. As far as the pace on those trails? Forget about it, the little Ace doesn't stand a chance keeping up if we are riding hard but I also realize that is not what it was designed for. It is a great little machine to cruise on and I always said if they put a 900 in one I would be the first in line. I now have to amend that statement to say that if they come out with a 900 Ace, it needs to be 60 inches wide with some real suspension travel for me to buy one.

Just some random thoughts I had after Sunday. This little machine has exceeded my expectations all around and I would be interested in other peoples thoughts as well.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
As far as the pace on those trails? Forget about it, the little Ace doesn't stand a chance keeping up if we are riding hard

I hope you were not implying that the 570 ACE couldn't keep up with whatever on the trails, because I haven't seen anything that is going to walk away from my 570 on any trail I've been on. Now if its wide open spaces like trails out west, then yes it would have a hard time keeping up with some of the higher powered machines, but you match it up on a wooded trail and you aren't going to get away from it very easily, and if you cant see, that you haven't got enough seat time to realize that it is much faster and nimble than you are letting on in your post. Just because it doesn't handle exactly like your Wildcat, that doesn't make it any slower on the trails. I'd love to see you on a wooded trail try to keep up with Scoundrel on his 330 ACE. You would probably get a big surprise. Once you learn to use the power of the 570 ACE, you will be amazed at what it can do and how fast it can do it. These are my thoughts and I own a 570 ACE and have way more than a 30 mile test ride to form my opinion

Reactions: whitetrash

·
Registered
82 Posts
Back in Nov a few of us went on a day run to an off road park and we loaded up the Ace along with a newer Can Am, and a new regular Sportsman 570,,, I had never did much trail riding and was riding the 570 with the wife in the Ace for several hours and the wife and I switched machines,,, done deal I don't think there will be a second Ace here, just way to rough riding on trails at speed compared to the other machines. Power ya had plenty of that even against the 570 and 600/650 Can Am, I personally like the Ace even though it rides terrible on rough terrain at speed, I just slow up and make em wait LoL. Its not the power, even the 330 has plenty, its the lack of ride quality when compared to the other machines available,,,, I literally got the snot beat out of me trying to keep up with the "regular" quads on the rougher parts of trails. So I get to keep the Ace for my own as a toy and worker, its a great machine except for the ride.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I agree that the suspension and ground clearance leave something to be desired.
The "suspension seat bracket" by DMC helps a lot. An actual suspension seat would help more.
26" tires would help a lot too, but I won't go there until I have a 570.

I find that I don't have trouble keeping up with other machines, be they quads or RZRs, in most cases, at the places I like to ride.
But there are some types of trails that would slow me down which might not slow down a larger machine as much.
Every major type of machine (ATV, RZR, and now the ACE) has some things it excels at, and some other things it's not as good at.
So we each find the machine that does a good job at the kind of stuff we like to do, on the terrain that is available to use, and call it good.

And it is sometimes difficult to understand why someone would say that the ACE does not do as well in their kind of terrain, because we haven't really experienced their kind of terrain, exactly.
It may also have something to do with the experience of the driver, what kind of machine that driver is used to, how quickly they can adapt to a different vehicle type, what their preferences are.

Vandal, I would indeed lose Wildcats in the trees. They would be back there reversing a lot to re-take turns, or with broken axles because they hit a tree at speed.
But the Wildcats would leave me behind at the steep rock face that I would have to winch down for fear of tumbling with my shorter wheel base.

View attachment 2898

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vandal, great point about the tight trails. I'm not busting on the Ace as a machine or anyone's ability to drive it, I'm just comparing riding in the same area and like JS said above its the lack of ride quality. One of the private properties I ride on is a little over 1600 acres and the trails are wide enough to accommodate larger machines throughout the entire property. But some of them are really rough with 2-3' deep ruts (I'll get some pics next time I'm there) that are in some cases the ruts are 3 feet wide. Stuff that we fly through in wider machines with more suspension or we can straddle, you just can't go that fast in the Ace, it would beat your kidneys out of you or you would end up stuck in the rut. We have to stop and wait for 50" wide Rzr's as well. It's not a bust on anyones machine, I was just realizing the difference in riding a new machine at the same spot I have ridden hundreds of times.

Like Scoundrel said, each machine has it pro's and con's. A decent size group of us was riding at Wolfs Den in Kitzmiller MD early last year. We unloaded, jumped in our rides and about 100 yards from where we set up camp, there was a decent little hill climb leading to a new trail. I followed 2 quads and 2 60" wide Rzr S machines. When I got to the top, there were jagged rocks that the ATV's went right through. The rocks scuffed the tires on the Rzr's and proceeded to poke holes in the sidewalls of BOTH of my rear tires! One side took 14 plugs to get it to hold air, the other side only took 3 plugs. Fortunately, who doesn't need to stop for a cold beverage after you have been riding for about 200 yards! Let's just say I would have had to build a little more thirst if I was on the Ace because it would have fit with no problem.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Vandal, great point about the tight trails. I'm not busting on the Ace as a machine or anyone's ability to drive it, I'm just comparing riding in the same area and like JS said above its the lack of ride quality. One of the private properties I ride on is a little over 1600 acres and the trails are wide enough to accommodate larger machines throughout the entire property. But some of them are really rough with 2-3' deep ruts (I'll get some pics next time I'm there) that are in some cases the ruts are 3 feet wide. Stuff that we fly through in wider machines with more suspension or we can straddle, you just can't go that fast in the Ace, it would beat your kidneys out of you or you would end up stuck in the rut. We have to stop and wait for 50" wide Rzr's as well. It's not a bust on anyones machine, I was just realizing the difference in riding a new machine at the same spot I have ridden hundreds of times.

Like Scoundrel said, each machine has it pro's and con's. A decent size group of us was riding at Wolfs Den in Kitzmiller MD early last year. We unloaded, jumped in our rides and about 100 yards from where we set up camp, there was a decent little hill climb leading to a new trail. I followed 2 quads and 2 60" wide Rzr S machines. When I got to the top, there were jagged rocks that the ATV's went right through. The rocks scuffed the tires on the Rzr's and proceeded to poke holes in the sidewalls of BOTH of my rear tires! One side took 14 plugs to get it to hold air, the other side only took 3 plugs. Fortunately, who doesn't need to stop for a cold beverage after you have been riding for about 200 yards! Let's just say I would have had to build a little more thirst if I was on the Ace because it would have fit with no problem.
LUVDAMUD.....I didn't take your post personal, but did want to let people know that the 570 ACE is a very capable machine, and in its element will stay with just about anything. I know there are places it wont go as well as other machines, the big difference is that the ACE will go on just about any trail where the 60 inch or wider machines wont. Don't get me wrong, I love the Wildcats and RZRs...they have their place just like the atvs do, the only drawback I see is they just don't have as many places that they can go, and if you take them out of their element they will have to slow way down or stop, while the narrower machines wont. Personally I think the ACEs ride ok. Yes they can be a little bumpy sometimes depending on the terrain, but overall not a bad ride at all, and very comfortable most of the time

·
Registered
114 Posts
On my 570 with EPS I have increased the overall rear width 6" and front 4" with offset rims. Have 26" Rip Saws @ 5psi, and Walker Evans Shocks. The ride and control is a 110% improvement over stock.
The stock suspension was terrible now it's a joy to drive even on really bad rocky trails.
Also, have the commanderV and Autotune. Had a Trinity stage 5 exhaust but it was way too loud, so modified the stock muffler by drilling some 1/2" holes in the baffle plates.
Probably added 40% increased air flow which helped and is not too loud. The little 570 really comes alive with the electronics and added exhaust flow. Just my experience...

·
Registered
191 Posts
I'm a complete off road noob. I think I rode a farm ATV once a long time ago. it was manual and I didn't know how to shift well. (that's changed with my motorcycle thankfully!) The Ace is my first real taste. i love it. The wife has her regular ATV and we sometimes swap rides. She generally doesn't like the Ace for many of the reasons luvdamud mentioned. I have also noticed I have to be a lot more careful on tighter trails than she does. No to mention I've had it on two wheels (sideways) four times already (saved it three of them).

On the flipside, I dont have to worry about getting rolled over, loosing my footing on jumps or wacking my head on low branches. And I just have fun. I think the security of the belt and roll cage allow me, especially as a noob, to have a bit more fun than I would otherwise. Or at least it's allowed me to get comfortable more quickly. will i graduate to a bigger SxS? I dunno, it's possible. But I think the Ace is going to keep be satisfied for awhile, even if it is a stock "little" Ace.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have only had 3-wheeler's. They do turn in tighter radiuses than the ace and lighter, but that's it.
I bought the Ace due to a couple back surgeries. If I ride without back support, I may stay laid up for weeks.
The Ace gets me thru thick brush and protects me from limbs and back slaps a lot better than an open ATV.
I don't trail ride or race. I use it fir hunting and trapping.
I don't like the high Rev engine or the lack of storage and lack of raslcks, but its size is just right to get in tight places and fits in back of my truck.
It rides better than any 3 or 4 wheeler I have ever rode on.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
lack of storage
Seriously?
The ACE, stock, has more storage than any ATV I've ever had (the front compartment and rack and rear bed).
Then you can add the rear box, which is cavernous.
You can add the overhead bag, which can hold a lot of stuff.
You can add the rear trail bag, which can hold even more stuff.
You can add the side bags, which can hold yet even more stuff.
If you have doors, you can add the door bags instead of the side bags.

The ACE has more storage options than any ORV I have ever seen, with the exception of jeeps and pickups.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I have all of the bags. I meant rack storage.
I misspoke.
Its good for rabbits, squirrels, coyotes and ***** and for carrying my dog but lacks a good rack for large deer and hogs. Hogs get drug out by rope. Deer have to have some engineering to get them tied up and out the woods.
My old 3-wheeler rack was better. I could lay an animal with its legs hanging forward and not have any issues.
Its different on the Ace. I am looking into having a rack built for hunting season.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I also need a gun rack across the back to hang my AR on for hog and coyotes. I keep my 22 in the POO gun carrier. I have to hang on to the AR cause it doesn't fit well in it.
Been looking but no luck yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have all of the bags. I meant rack storage.
I misspoke.
Its good for rabbits, squirrels, coyotes and ***** and for carrying my dog but lacks a good rack for large deer and hogs. Hogs get drug out by rope. Deer have to have some engineering to get them tied up and out the woods.
My old 3-wheeler rack was better. I could lay an animal with its legs hanging forward and not have any issues.
Its different on the Ace. I am looking into having a rack built for hunting season.
I have been pondering some ideas of how I would get a deer or even part of an elk out and I had thought about puting some braces from the front of the roll cage to a front bumper and stack some body parts up there and in the back. Not ideal but It would work, I think

·
Registered
394 Posts
It's pretty thick where I hunt. I'm afraid to put a trailer on back and tear it up, but it is probably the cheapest and best option.
Drop the trailer, hunt, then drag back to trailer for hailing out.
I'd have to leave the trailer in the woods. Can't carry both in back of the Hoopty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
421 Posts
Hey Norman, how do you like the Walker Evans? Did you get the front and rears? Where did you get them and how much? Are you using stock springs? Done with 50 questions.😂

1 - 20 of 24 Posts