Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give everyone a tip about the EMP Windshield. TAKE IT OFF DURING HIGH SPEED TRAVEL. Just as the manufacturer says it should be removed. I left it on because it was all muddy and I didn't want to scratch it up. I put zip ties around the rubber lock downs. However while taking it down the highway the winds caused the windshield to buckle in the center forcing it over the dash and behind it. It slightly scuffed the dash but I think it would have been worse if I would have traveled further. The windshield mostly restored to original shape but seems very slightly curved inward now. Anyway I'd recommend taking it off if you're traveling over 50mph.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Do you think this could be prevented by the position of the windshield, or would it vibrate and ride up until it was able to curve in?
How tight did you have the straps - how many holes out from the tightest setting? Do you think that might have affected it? I suppose it wouldn't matter how tight they were if they got wet.

Just trying to think of any mitigating circumstances that might have had an impact on how this turned out.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do you think this could be prevented by the position of the windshield, or would it vibrate and ride up until it was able to curve in?
How tight did you have the straps - how many holes out from the tightest setting? Do you think that might have affected it? I suppose it wouldn't matter how tight they were if they got wet.

Just trying to think of any mitigating circumstances that might have had an impact on how this turned out.
Yea I wondered about all this too. I remember it tight to the dash and the straps were tight too but I don't remember what notch. I was traveling west (maybe into the typical west wind) at about 70-75mph average (maybe more, just flowing with traffic). It was cold but I don't remember if it was raining, I don't think so.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Even so, nobody is constantly vigilant about how their windshield is fastened, so it probably is best to remove it.
I'm glad I set up the flip-up windshield scenario. It can't do that.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I am going to have to check out your flip windshield mod. I just ordered the EMP (with rubber straps). Do you think it can be modified?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I am going to have to check out your flip windshield mod. I just ordered the EMP (with rubber straps). Do you think it can be modified?
Here's the thread: http://www.aceforums.net/forum/30-ace-accessories/904-made-my-own-flip-up-windshield-ace.html

I'm a little confused by your question. Do I think it can be modified? I uh, DID modify it into a flip windshield.

Things of note:
The hardware kit (swivel hinges, gas cylinders, etc) came from the Polaris Flip-Up Windshield for the RZR. It was an incomplete kit, missing the handle assembly, which I bought on eBay. I don't know if you can normally buy this kit complete from the dealer, but I'd suggest going that route to get the handle assembly if you can.
I ordered a handle assembly from EMP from their flip-up windshield kit for $30. They didn't send the little steel U-bracket. I called again and asked them to send it. They send another handle, not the U-bracket. :wall:
I made my own with a $4 piece of steel from Home Depot, a drill bit, and some paint.

I could not position the U-bracket correctly to close the handle and have the windshield fully closed, so I made an extender bracket to move the U-bracket position about 1/2" inward of the dash.
Maybe you'll come up with a more elegant solution, but it works for me.

I had to cut the sides of the top end of the windshield to fit it in there.

Because of the angle of the roll bars, I had to drill out the holes in the swivel hinges to give them more play. They need to move on more than one axis to work. This does not seem to have resulted in any wobble/vibration - the gas cylinders hold it in place pretty well when up, and when down there is a bit of tension on it so that probably avoids the vibration there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts