Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Early this morning, before daylight, me and my dog were north of Cameron, Louisiana, about as far from civilization as possible, moving real slow thru some mud and water, on flat marsh, and my engine light came on.
Shut down, restarted and it was still on. Had to move to where I could check the oil, I was in about 2 ft of muddy water.
Oil level was good. Engine temp was good.
Out of cell phone range, so I took a chance and moved to high ground and started heading South again. Once I got on high ground and was able to speed up, the light went out. Never came back on.
But now I have an "E" next to the gearing indicator. When in Reverse, it shows "RE", in Low, it shows "LE", not R, L, H like before I started this morning.
I was moving very slow when the light came on, but nothing I would think would do any harm.

What else could have made the light turn on?
What is the "E" for on the gear position indicator?

I haven't had this machine long, I just have around 12 hours on it. It's been good, but haven't taken her in much water until yesterday and today. Could it have been water in an elect. connection?

·
Registered
525 Posts
It is probably the speed sensor. If it does it again just check the error codes and write them down. The speed sensor is a fairly common error and it clears itself out after a minute or so of higher rpm operation.

·
Registered
218 Posts
are you on the temperature display?

The E you are seeing next to the gear position indicator is for ENGINE TEMP. it should only display when the cluster is set to temperature display .

·
Registered
1,747 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was on the temp display. Figured that out this evening when I turned to the RPM.

The engine light I talked about before was just a light. Not sure how to get a code from it.
I was going pretty slow.

·
Registered
525 Posts
It tells you in the owners manual how to retrieve the codes.

0 84 2 vehicle speed implausible. I think what that really means is that the software in the brain is not smart enough to decipher all of the different combinations of input data that a vehicle operating in a real life situation sends to it, so it spazzes out for a second. JMHO

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info. on the check engine light.
I ran her this evening in high gear only and had no issues.
It only does it in low and at slow speeds.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Polaris is bad about denying claims?
Sometimes they are.....depends on how good a dealer you have and how well he goes to bat for you

·
Registered
259 Posts
They seem to be. There are some dealers that really take care of their customers, and then there are others that act like they never want to see you again after the sale. Most seem to fall somewhere in between of both of these extremes. If you have a dealer that really takes care of your troubles, and are satisfied with, stay with him. It's nice that they can call you by name when you walk in to the dealership, and these are the ones that really seem to want to take care of you. Eventually the others will be left in the shadoes. Just seems to take forever tho.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Basically, the deal is that if you have any aftermarket mods, parts, or accessories that could conceivably by any stretch of the imagination have caused the issue, Polaris will deny the claim. So it's a good idea to return your buggy to stock in the problem area before you submit one. Also if it is at all possible that your issue was caused by rough handling or bad riding conditions (mud holes, etc), Polaris will deny it.

They will honor the warranty if there is no question that the issue is a manufacturing defect, but if there is any gray area, prepare for a battle.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
From EVERYONE in know who has dealt with the place I bought mine, they have a horrible reputation for service, but the best prices when buying.
Other nearest dealers around here are about an hour to the East and an hour to the West.
All my added options are from Polaris, except for my rear rack.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
All my added options are from Polaris, except for my rear rack.
That will help with warranty issues for sure.

Having a dealer that is known for bad service is unfortunate, but if you have any major warranty issues you could drive it to one of those other dealers. They might not be happy with you for not buying it there, so they might not "go to bat for you", but if you have a legitimate warranty issue, they'll probably still take care of it for you.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in SW La. and work in SE Tx. about 2.5 hours away. I pass by 2 Polaris dealers along the way, so I might be able to run it by one of those if my local dealer becomes the pain that others tell me about.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts