Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Decided today was the day to install SuperATV EPS kits on our two 570 ACEs. Things were going very smoothly until we hit a brick wall! Our lower steering shaft is too short and we can't finish the install!

Has anyone installed an EPS from Superatv for their 570 ACE? If so, did you have this issue? We are not sure what we are doing wrong and are thinking we may have not gotten the correct components in our kit.

The 2015 do not have have slotted mount brackets allow the motor to be moved up/down and forward/backwards. If I c ould lower the motor by about an 3/4 of an inch then we;d be finished.

This is what came in our kit:

Auto part Suspension part Cutting tool Automotive window part Hardware accessory

Our motor was different than what was in the kit, could this affect the lower steering shaft length??

The pic below is a kit for???? If we had those slotted brackets that move up/down (vertically) and forward/aft, I"d be done already with our install!

Auto part Suspension part

IF YOU HAVE INSTALLED eps on your 570, please share how you handled my issue. If possible please send pics and let me know if your kit had brackets that were slotted for up/.down and foward/back motor movement.

Our motor is different and I'm wondering if the change to another motor contributed to the lower (bottom) short shaft's length issue.

Thanks for any advice; we are stumped and could use it!

Drew

·
Registered
259 Posts
Did you try mounting the motor bracket on the other side of the mounting plate? That might give you more or less slack.

·
Registered
259 Posts
When we installed the EPS on Duane's Ace, we finally assembled everything "loose fit" then started tightening everything from the lower steering shaft up. Hope this helps. May or may not work for you.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gonna blame the wife on this one. I don't do well with instructions and had her doing the hard intellectual part by reading them and figuring out parts install layouts-its her ACE after all. Anyway, she noticed but didn't mention that the holes on the frame mount plate were not slotted vertically like in the instruction pic. She didn't think that it was enough of an issue to mention that our mount plate didn't match the one in the instruction manual.

Pic below is of our frame mount plate: Note lack of vertical slots (instructions don't say anything about slotting the holes vertically).

Auto part Automotive exterior Bumper Metal

Here is the pic in the instruction manual showing a slotted mount. I guess Poo has changed their mount design.

Font Bumper Vehicle Games

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Should be an easy fix tomorrow. Going to install turn signals, horn, 2 horn switches (one on turn signal stalk and one on dash) turn signal buzzer (buzzes whenever turn signal lights are blinking), and floor switch for our 2 way radios tomorrow. Also will install a second 12v socket, a socket with 2 USB power plug ins, and a socket with a voltage meter.

Gauge Technology Font Auto part Electronic device

One of my 12 volt power sockets will have a mounted rechargeable flashlight. You do not have to use the black mounting face plate if you wish. I will only use the face plate as a template to install the 3 circular power sockets.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When we installed the EPS on Duane's Ace, we finally assembled everything "loose fit" then started tightening everything from the lower steering shaft up. Hope this helps. May or may not work for you.
Did you mount the mount on the opposite side of the plate or as pictured in the instructions????

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Slotted the mounts-both the welded plate and the motor mount about 3/8" long and viola! Engine mount installed per factory instructions. Very easy install and I definitely recommend it.

I also installed a rocker switch to cut power to the EPS when I ride above 20mph.

Tips:
Disconnect battery. It is located driver's side rearward and under seat. You'll need to remove the seat and back panel in back of seat to access it.

Route wiring before mounting EPS motor and ECU bracket.

To slot mounts, drill identically sized hold adjacent to the original mounting hole and then use a dremel and a circular file to clean things up. Paint all exposed metal...Krylon dries so much quicker than cheap generic spray pain.

Rotate motor so it just clears the brake pedal pin that sticks out left of the brake pedal. If you done, the brake pedal pin will rub against the motor case and the brake pedal will not return to normal position when pedal is released.

Extend the power wire line (cut,solder, double wrap with heat shrink tubing) so it runs adjacent to the switch panel assembly. This gives you option of installing an on/off switch in the future if you wish.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Knocked out the second ACE's EPS install in 2 hours with help of my wife. This ACE had the frame mount with elongated (slotted) mount holes as depicted in the instruction manual. SuperATV rep said that it looks like my wife's ACE 570 was a '14 chassis and my ACE had a '15 chassis.

This install required me to grind the frame a big because the wiring was being pinched by the motor pressing against it. The motor in the kit is different than the motor in the instructions and I think it is different in where the wiring is located. I guess I could have slotted the mount bracket to pull the motor away 1/8 inch from the frame but grinding was quicker than slotting by drilling and hand filing.

EPS on/off switch is on turn signal stalk. A micro led mounted by speedometer reminds me not to exceed 20 mph with EPS on. As a matter of personal preference I willl not use EPS at other than rock crawling speeds. I didn't like the lighter and squirrely feel above 20mph.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts