Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all, newbie here so this is my first post. Although I'm new to the ACE (got it yesterday) I'm not new to Polaris as I also have a couple of their other toys. Anyway I'm in a wheelchair and have been wanting to have a safer way to do trail rides for a while. I saw the ACE when they first came out and the local dealers just dropped the price and also were throwing in over NZD $3k's worth of accessories, plus coupled with 2 years of warrantee made it a bit of a no brainer. I've still got a number of accessorises to arrive next week as the dealer couldn't get them all before the holidays. Anyway one aspect I'm not overly keen on is the look of the black pressed steel wheels. I've been looking at options in regards to this, but replacement aftermarket rims seem to be either for the rears 7" (me thinks a bit narrow?), or 8" with +4 offsets (am I correct that this makes it 4" wider overall, are the factory rears 6+2 or 5+3?). Ideally I'd like to push the width out an inch each side to help the visual profile with the fender flares which are fitted... but trying to find anything is proving challenging. There appears to be plenty of options for the front, it's just the rears (this is based on trying to make use of there stock tyres and not changing them all for 14"rims and tyres).

So after spending many an hour researching I wondered how the stock rims might look with beadlocks... so I tried to see if I could find any 12" fake beadlock rings... umm nope not a chance. So anyway I have access to a laser cutter so thought if I can't find any why not design some up. I spent about 8 hours the other night (finished at 3am) drawing up some deadlock rings in CAD (first time I've ever used anything like that). My plan is as much as anything to just see how they look as I quite enjoy playing around with stuff like this. The design is quite elaborate with cut outs and mounting for a ring of chrome hex screws around the outer ring. Also because I don't want to modify or damage the original rim I designed some quick and easy attachment lugs that for the most part should be hidden and allow for the beads to be fitted and removed in only a few minutes per wheel. Remembering these are purely for aesthetics not functionality. My plan is to laser cut them out of probably a 3mm aluminium sheet (for weight savings) and paint them bright red. I'll be looking to do this after the holidays, but in the meantime I printed out some mock ups of the design at home (just on paper), cut them out and taped the to the wheel to see how the looked. I didn't cut out all the detailed holes (the laser cutter can do that), and obviously the hex bolts aren't attached... oh and sorry they look a little pink, I toned down the red on the printer because of how I printed.

So remember these are the stock 12" black steel rims and stock 25" tyres. I would be interested in others thoughts on whether they feel they look okay or not. Thanks for taking the time to read my post. Cheers

IMG_4068.JPG IMG_4070.JPG

·
Registered
107 Posts
In my opinion, "go for it". Think they look good!!! Only question is, will they trap a lot of mud? Think your on to something..

·
Registered
447 Posts
Jezza,

There is an old Rick Nelson song that has these lyrics:

"You see, ya can't please everyone, so ya got to please yourself"

If you like them, go for it. Personally, I think they look great. I just spent four months in a wheelchair and kept riding the Ace. It is a great vehicle.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I was working on this very concept a few months ago, looking to dress up the stock rims. I always got hung up on how to attach them but yet make them easy to remove. This inspires me to bring the project back to life. Nice concept. If I bring the project back to life I'm gonna use a CNC plasma to cut them out.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my opinion, "go for it". Think they look good!!! Only question is, will they trap a lot of mud? Think your on to something..
I thought about this, so I added a number of cutouts around the pattern to help (I just didn't cut them out for the mockup). Obviously big mud won't get through them, but it will assist when washing down to have somewhere for it to run.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I just spent four months in a wheelchair and kept riding the Ace. It is a great vehicle.
It's been over 20 years for me (gees that sounds a long time). I used to do all the trail rides on my Scrambler about 10 years ago but was always a little nervous, especially after one particular high speed crash (over shot a corner on gravel, hit a culvert and flipped over the handle bars). Funnily other than a bruised shoulder both the bike and myself were okay :) So I got into RZR's about 15 months ago but at 60" they are a bit limiting for trail rides. Anyway I'm looking forward to getting out on rides again with the ACE.

By the way is it wrong to give your ride a nickname. I've called my RZR Percy (just helps the confusion as most people think I'm talking about doing something weird with a shaver), so I'm think PJ for the ACE (Percy Junior).

·
Registered
420 Posts
I say go for it. Personally I would make them a structural part of the bead because they really make the wheel stronger and keep ruts/rocks/anything else from damaging the wheel and losing a tire. But I guess if you do that you might as well make them real beadlocks. I remember making rebar rings years ago to weld into the bead lip on a bronco I had, made the wheels a ton stronger and was cheap to make.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I say go for it. Personally I would make them a structural part of the bead because they really make the wheel stronger and keep ruts/rocks/anything else from damaging the wheel and losing a tire. But I guess if you do that you might as well make them real beadlocks. I remember making rebar rings years ago to weld into the bead lip on a bronco I had, made the wheels a ton stronger and was cheap to make.
Rebar rings sounds interesting, I bet it was hard to bend them in a perfect circle, especially where then needed to meet to weld up.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Hi all, newbie here so this is my first post.
I'm afraid I'm gonna have to be the first naysayer. If they don't add any function, it's just one more thing to get all scratched up, lose on the trail when you hit something and they disconnect, etc.
If you ride in mostly smooth terrain where they're not likely to get damaged, would a beadlock appearance be out of place, given what they are usually used for?
I do understand wanting to add some bling though, and it is your vehicle to do with as you like.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Rebar rings sounds interesting, I bet it was hard to bend them in a perfect circle, especially where then needed to meet to weld up.
not when you knew a guy that made concrete forms and rebar shapes for all kinds of construction :D

·
Registered
259 Posts
No ! ! ! No ! ! ! No ! ! ! If you are going to use bead locks, USE BEAD LOCKS. They are made for a purpose. Quit trying to be a phoney with non functional items just so you can look good, or cool, or whatever.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
No ! ! ! No ! ! ! No ! ! ! If you are going to use bead locks, USE BEAD LOCKS. They are made for a purpose. Quit trying to be a phoney with non functional items just so you can look good, or cool, or whatever.
I appreciate your passion. I'll be the first to admit I like my toys to look good and for me it is as much about seeing if there is someway I can make use of the investment in the new tires and rims I already have. If that means designing something to give them a different visual appearance instead of discarding then so be it, it just happens that I felt fake beadlock rings are the easiest and probably the only realistic change one could make to the stock rims. Cheers

·
Registered
107 Posts
I agree with you!!! Everyone wants their ride to look good. How many out there have replaced ugly, functional stock Polaris steel wheels, just to make their ride look better. I think you idea is great! Go for it! Our toys are all full of "non functional items" that make them look the way we want!!!!

·
Registered
344 Posts
....By the way is it wrong to give your ride a nickname. I've called my RZR Percy (just helps the confusion as most people think I'm talking about doing something weird with a shaver), so I'm think PJ for the ACE (Percy Junior)....
Heheh, It's the only way I can keep track of the toys... I call my "RZR XP1k" "Nellie" (avatar) and when I get my ACE I'll call it "Lit'l Nell"... just keeps things simple and helps other know what the hell I'm talking about. heheh, or confuses them, not sure which... My tear drop trailer is called "Le Droppe"... I was feeling a little French at the time..

It's all fun...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
If that is the case, then put real bead locks on and rattle can them red.
Umm, nope :)

Sorry but I don't need the functionality of beadlocks, so would prefer to spend $75 making fakes to see if I can give it a diffferent visual appeal instead of the likely $2,500 they'll charge me here in NZ buying the polaris beadlocks for a similar look. The $2,500 can go towards power steering which I need and I'll still have enough left over for a long weekend trip to Aus...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I agree with you!!! Everyone wants their ride to look good. How many out there have replaced ugly, functional stock Polaris steel wheels, just to make their ride look better. I think you idea is great! Go for it! Our toys are all full of "non functional items" that make them look the way we want!!!!
This is my point exactly. The stock rims appear to be perfectly functional just not overly visually appealing in my opinion. I actually drew up 2 locking design methods to easily fit the rings to the existing rims, I suspect the nature of both and one in particular will likely provide a significant amount of bracing to the outer rim surface (obviously no where near as much as genuine beadlocks). This wasn't really my goal, except to ensure that they would be securely fastened.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
OK, I admit it. The Crazy Harry Muppet figurine I zip-tied to the grill of my ACE is purely for looks and serves no practical function whatsoever.

The wheels, however, got swapped out because I am really rough on wheels, and tend to bend the crap out of thin steel wheels and lose the bead. The thicker reinforced aluminum ones tend to hold up much better to my abuse.

·
Registered
183 Posts
CALM DOWN Stubby!! Don't knock what someone else wants to do to their machine. You mean to say you have NEVER installed anything on a vehicle (car,truck,atv,motorcycle) that was purely because you liked the way it looked? A vanity tag on the front of your car, a set of rims when there was nothing wrong with the stock ones, or even added a sticker or decal just because you thought it looked good. Part of the fun with these machines is to personalize it to what you like whether it has a function or you just think it looks cool. By the way, I like it! Great idea and I wouldn't mind havin a set myself!!!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts