Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok took my new 570 for a run this weekend and it slung some mud. Im looking to get some fender flares but I see posts where they look good but dont do much. what is the current opinion of the flares now that some have had a chance to use them for a while? I hate spending 250.00 on something that just looks good.

·
Registered
107 Posts
View attachment 3711 View attachment 3710 View attachment 3709

Flares help somewhat, but full doors really keep the mud out of the cab area. With flares and full doors, mud thrown into the cab and onto the rest of the bike is not too bad, but no way to eliminate it. My Ace with 26x9x14 and 26x11x14 tires and offset wheels is 53 1/2 wide in front and 55 1/2 wide in back. Very stable but a mud thrower... So if your tires are close to being under the fenders, extra width of the flares will help.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
They help a little, but not a lot. Doors will keep the mud out of your cabin area better. Doors and flares are a good combination. Add some nerf bars too and it seals up pretty well.

Edit: rmorgan84a beat me to it! :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
ok took my new 570 for a run this weekend and it slung some mud. Im looking to get some fender flares but I see posts where they look good but dont do much. what is the current opinion of the flares now that some have had a chance to use them for a while? I hate spending 250.00 on something that just looks good.
If you are running stock size tires and wheels the flares will do a lot of good. If using oversize tires and offset wheels you're going to sling mud because your tires are outside of the flares. I have stock size tires but 4+3 itp offset wheels and with flares and mud flaps mine still slings mud. The full doors will help eliminate most of the mud thrown into the cab, but you're still going to get plenty of mud on yourself, and all over the ACE, but that's why we bought them right????? LOL

·
Registered
447 Posts
Vandal is absolutely correct. I have 27" Roctanes with 2" spacers. The flares and mudflaps helped but the doors helped the most with the mud. The rear wheels are way outside the flares and throw water and mud over the doors, inside the cab, and on me. One really unexpected benefit of the full doors is the protection provided to the factory cup holder to the left of the seat. When I first got the Ace, the factory cup holder was useless because whatever was in the cup holder was covered with mud. With the addition of full doors, I find the factor cup holder to be functional. I now use it instead of the one that I have mounted on the roll bar. The one on the roll bar has so much motion that any carbonated drink is quickly fizzed out.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
One really unexpected benefit of the full doors is the protection provided to the factory cup holder to the left of the seat.
Ooh, I had not thought of that! I stopped using the factory cup holder because my drink was always covered in mud. I had not even noticed that it stays clean yet. Thanks for the heads-up on that!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Even with the doors, I still manage to get grit on the top of my beverage. I just finish it before we take off on the next leg of the trip. Nothing worse than reaching down, grabbing a can and taking a big old swig and it is gritty....

·
Registered
447 Posts
With the way I ride, the factory drink holder with full doors stays sufficiently clean to allow me to use a drink bottle that has a screw on top. I would not use it with a pull tab can. Before I had the full doors, even a bottle with a screw on top would get so muddy that it was not usable. I do slow down in the mud and water. If you plow through that stuff, even the doors might be insufficient.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
With the way I ride, the factory drink holder with full doors stays sufficiently clean to allow me to use a drink bottle that has a screw on top. I would not use it with a pull tab can. Before I had the full doors, even a bottle with a screw on top would get so muddy that it was not usable. I do slow down in the mud and water. If you plow through that stuff, even the doors might be insufficient.
I agree Hayseed....I've also learned to hit the mud puddles as straight as possible. When turning it lets the front wheels be able to kick up a lot more mud and muddy water, past the flares and onto the side of the machine. I like you, slow down as much as possible when going through mud and puddles. No sense taking a mud bath if not necessary

·
Registered
191 Posts
I agree Hayseed....I've also learned to hit the mud puddles as straight as possible. When turning it lets the front wheels be able to kick up a lot more mud and muddy water, past the flares and onto the side of the machine. I like you, slow down as much as possible when going through mud and puddles. No sense taking a mud bath if not necessary
What fun is that?! I turn into a little boy who has to jump into every puddle after a rain. :)

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
What fun is that?! I turn into a little boy who has to jump into every puddle after a rain. :)
The fun comes for me when you get home and your machine isn't completely covered in mud that has to be cleaned up. Glad you enjoy jumping in puddles but for me I'd just as soon go around them. I see no enjoyment in mud of any kind

·
Registered
191 Posts
The fun comes for me when you get home and your machine isn't completely covered in mud that has to be cleaned up. Glad you enjoy jumping in puddles but for me I'd just as soon go around them. I see no enjoyment in mud of any kind
Fair enough. I think I spent a good hour or two cleaning the machines after my last ride, so there is definitely something to NOT diving into the mud. Around here it's mostly river sand-bars and the surrounding area, so there isn't much else but sand, water, and silt mud. I really would like to get out into some more rocky riding but it's a good day plus drive to do that.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Just need to buy a cheap squeegie to clear it afterwards!
Still have to stop long enough to use it. And unbuckle the beat selt. And open the door. And get out. And all the while I am not hurtling through the woods at a breakneck pace.
I know I could get a manual wiper, but I have this strange irrational resistance to that.

View attachment 3715

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Fair enough. I think I spent a good hour or two cleaning the machines after my last ride, so there is definitely something to NOT diving into the mud. Around here it's mostly river sand-bars and the surrounding area, so there isn't much else but sand, water, and silt mud. I really would like to get out into some more rocky riding but it's a good day plus drive to do that.
MAjik......with the Tennessee mud we have here......your two hour wash to clear sand from your machine becomes sometimes days to clear the thick, clay type mud we have here. Bubble gum describes it pretty well. At 63 yrs old I'm not very fond of getting under the machine to clean the caked on messes we get here. I'd love to have some sand

Reactions: luvdamud

·
Registered
131 Posts
View attachment 3717 I'm with Vandal on this one. I usually stop by the car wash to clean my machines on the way home from the trail to get the big stuff off, then wash again at home with bucket and soap. If I have just been riding around the neighborhood, I will give it a quick wash before I load up to go on the trail as well. I often envy the guys out west that can simply "dust off" the sand residue and be shining again.

With rocks, bark and sticks hung up in skid plates, mud caked in places you would never think of, I have an obsessive need to wash them after a ride. Not to mention I hate getting dirty when I just want to go for a little ride over to the farm or my neighbors.

Here is a perfect example. A group of about 20 of us did a weekend ride to Burning Rock in Beckley WV and before we left the trail to load up and head home on the 5 hour drive, I borrowed the pressure washer from the folks that run Burning Rock to at least knock the big stuff off my KFX 700 before we loaded up. All 5 quads in the picture went through the same mud for the trip. Notice the KFX in the bed of the truck looks like it wasn't even driven. I can assure you, it was definitely dirty just a few hours before. Here I am getting a tow out of the mud pit just before we left.

View attachment 3718

Your ride has to look good going too or coming from the trail!

1 - 20 of 48 Posts