Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a new (to me) ACE last week!

2014 325 w/300 miles
Pure Polaris windshield
Pure Polaris back shield
Pure Polaris roof
Pure Polaris 2500lb winch
Pure Polaris rock sliders
HMF exhaust and programmer
EMP Fender Flares
Maxxis Big Horn Tires on STI HD alloy rims

I also have Desert Moulding suspension brackets, Big Dawg side mirrors and a 20" light bar to put on.

one thing I'm wondering though...I'm not really impressed with the L&R brackets for the roof and shields. There's no way they will withstand trailering at 70+ MPH. I don't really have any room to put them in my vehicle...Has anyone come up with a way to secure them better? The roof brackets can be zip tied around them, but I don't see any way to do anything similiar with the front and rear shields. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Congrats!
The biggest problem I have seen people have while towing with those accessories is:
Roof ripping off of the mounting bolts. The lock and ride stuff stayed connected. Fender washers should prevent that.
Windshield bowing inward. This was an EMP windshield, not Polaris. Adding a little support at the bottom where it is widest should take care of that.
No problems reported with the rear window.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I picked up a new (to me) ACE last week!

2014 325 w/300 miles
Pure Polaris windshield
Pure Polaris back shield
Pure Polaris roof
Pure Polaris 2500lb winch
Pure Polaris rock sliders
HMF exhaust and programmer
EMP Fender Flares
Maxxis Big Horn Tires on STI HD alloy rims

I also have Desert Moulding suspension brackets, Big Dawg side mirrors and a 20" light bar to put on.

one thing I'm wondering though...I'm not really impressed with the L&R brackets for the roof and shields. There's no way they will withstand trailering at 70+ MPH. I don't really have any room to put them in my vehicle...Has anyone come up with a way to secure them better? The roof brackets can be zip tied around them, but I don't see any way to do anything similiar with the front and rear shields. Any thoughts?

I have the Polaris windshields also and have trailered at 70 mph many times with no problems. As Scoundrel said the roof is the most problematic as they have been lost while trailering but some reinforcement such as zip ties or as I used radiator clamps ( I guarantee they wont let go) should solve any problems with the roof coming off. Keep an eye in the mirror and if you see something moving around stop and check it out. The wind is pushing into the front windshield mounts so they will hold but the wind is pushing against the rear mounts but some air is being blocked by the front windshield, and even when I have used my short sport windshield the rear windshield has always help at the mounts. Remember a lot of the air is being blocked by your tow vehicle so its probably not as much a problem as you'd expect.....except the roof

·
Registered
447 Posts
Polaris makes a trailerable nylon cover. I have found it to be very effective in protecting the roof and windshields. I have towed using the cover on the interstate at 75 with no problems. It ratchets tightly around the bottom of the ace and there is a belly strap that keeps the cover tight in the middle.

View attachment 4049

·
Registered
394 Posts
I carry my ace in the bed of my truck. I have traveled up to 2.5 hours at 75 mph and didn't lose it. I routinely travel up to 60 miles on Fri and Sat at 65 to 70 mph and have never lost the roof.
Only time I lost it was when I was.creeping thrum some thick limbs and low hanging branches.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Polaris makes a trailerable nylon cover. I have found it to be very effective in protecting the roof and windshields. I have towed using the cover on the interstate at 75 with no problems. It ratchets tightly around the bottom of the ace and there is a belly strap that keeps the cover tight in the middle.

View attachment 4049

Yep, used the same thing on the XP, 70-75mph, no problem-O.... it's a little tough putting it on correctly but I'll be using the same thing on the ACE... and it keeps it dry, fairly clean, best thing short of an enclosed... and a little cheaper... you just got to make sure you have the straps secured and not loose... mid strap will keep it on, but it can blossom out...

nice..

Vehicle Trailer Transport Tarpaulin Tree

Ordered one for the ACE..

·
Registered
134 Posts
I usually remove my roof when travelling at 60+ but if i dont have the room in the vehicle i will just throw an extra ratchet strap over it and strap it down to the ace. Havent lost it yet, plus i have a light bar so im always worried a rock will fly up on the highway and destroy it!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey guys...Thanks for the suggestions. I did add some fender washers to my roof screws. When I was installing my light bar, I came up with the idea to place the mounting bolts to the roll bar, then ran some plumber's mounting strap around the roll bar and onto the bolt. Shouldn't ever go anywhere now. Also got the LED whip and Rotopax mounted. I ordered the Dawg side mirrors but one arrived broken so I returned them. Wasn't all that impressed with the quality anyways.

Vehicle Automotive exterior Windshield Tree Auto part Tire Auto part Windshield Pipe Automotive wheel system Automotive exterior Windshield Room Window Bumper Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Tractor Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Bumper Red Vehicle Windshield Automotive window part Outdoor power equipment

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
We're on vacation this week, up at our property with access to hundreds of miles of ATV trails, so I've finally had a chance to really put the ACE through it.

What's my opinion?

I love it.

I hate it.

Yes. Both. Unfortunately, there was much more to hate than love. Keep in mind, I'm comparing this to 2 of Polaris' high end vehicles, an 850 XP EPS and a RZR S 900 EPS. Not really fair comparisons I guess, as those machines cost 2-3 times what the ACE 325 costs.

I have 15 years experience riding quads and 8 years riding SXS.

Loves: I love the concept of a single rider ATV with a steering wheel. On smooth tight trails where I could go a little faster, it was a blast. I didn't for the most part, notice a lack of power on these types of trails.

Hates: Just about everything else. On loose gravel trails, I felt like the rear end wanted to come around and be the front end. A closer ratio 4wd engagement would be a big improvement.

The suspension is horrible, probably on par with my old Sportsman 500. But I guess that's to be expected, since it's a similiar design. But at least on a quad, you can stand up on rough trails and use your legs and muscles to absorb some of the shock. With the ACE, you are strapped into the seat, your body takes it all.

I didn't mind the lack of EPS on loose dirt trails when moving at 5+ MPH, but when on tight rocky trails, I had to white knuckle the wheel to keep it from ripping out of my hands. Not such a big deal with handle bars as you have more leverage, but EPS is needed with a steering wheel. I also felt the steering wheel was too far away. I needs to be closer, so I'll probably consider a spacer. Might not be a big deal if I had EPS.

I felt the ACE was much harder to navigate diffcult terrain than my 850. With the 850, I could lean into the incline and still feel stable. Not so when you are strapped into the seat. Also, when dealing with hand controls, I can move between throttle and brake much faster, as you have one hand on the throttle, and one on the brake, with the ACE, you have foot movement time.

I thought after a longer ride, seeing as I'm 6'3", my right foot would get tired. Not so. It was my left! There was just no comfortable place to put it, to have even pressure under my hole foot. After a while, my heel started getting really tired from supporting the weight of my entire leg. I usually hate dead pedals, but I think it might help distribute the weight on my foot.

There was a couple times I felt insecure in navigating difficult terrain due to the lack of power. This might be hard to understand, but there were a couple sections of trail that I've navigated fairly easily with my 850 several times in the past. I wasn't comfortable doing those with the ACE. I would have had it in low gear of course, but I would have had it to the floor to make it over the obstacles. The fear there being, once I cleared the obsticle, I would have been at full engine RPMs and felt like I would have launched out of there and into a dangerous situation. With the 850, I would just feather throttle the big engine up to enough power the clear. I guess I feel like I have more control with more power, that I'm not taking the engine to it's limits.

The rear windshield sucks at night. When needing to back up, light from objects in the front reflected off the read windshield, making it difficult to see. I'll definetly be ordering a rear light bar.

I didn't find the door nets as much of a hassle as I thought I would. But they are far too low. Being tall, and having the Desert Molding Seat Bases, I felt my upper extremeties where too high above the nets. If I ever roll, I don't think they would provide any protection to keep my hands and arms contained. Any suggestions on a solution here? Without spending $500 on doors, which probably aren't any higher than the nets? There's no reason why Polaris couldn't make the nets 6" taller, even if they had to add a second buckle. As the net got taller, they could use a wider weave so that side vision wasn't impaired as much.

Final thoughts: Some of these issues may get better as I gain more experience with the ACE, but some of them can only be fixed by adding a better suspension and EPS, which of course costs money, and by the time you do all that, you'd be up to the cost of a RZR 900 EPS trail. So that'd be a lot of money for a single rider machine.

I'm going to keep the ACE, keep riding it, and see if my feelings change. But at the moment, I'm glad I searched out a cheap used low mileage 325 with a lot of accessories instead of spending probably $2K more on a 570. I won't be upgrading to a 570 as quickly as I thought I would, unless I find a smokin' deal on one. I definetly would not spring for the 900. That much power with this crappy of a suspension would kill me.

I will likely spend the $500 and add an EZ Steer EPS unit. But I'm a little leary about spending that much on an accessory that you have to take apart half the machine to install. It would make it difficult to remove when it comes time to sell the unit and move it to the new one if I ever decide to upgrade in the future.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
The good news is that if you get a good set of clip pliers and remove the front end clips, you can lift the entire plastic up on the front and get some good space to work.

Very thorough write up. This was my first off road vehicle so I have nothing to compare it to. Makes me wonder if a Rzr would blow me away.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
We're on vacation this week, up at our property with access to hundreds of miles of ATV trails, so I've finally had a chance to really put the ACE through it.

What's my opinion?

I love it.

I hate it.

Yes. Both. Unfortunately, there was much more to hate than love. Keep in mind, I'm comparing this to 2 of Polaris' high end vehicles, an 850 XP EPS and a RZR S 900 EPS. Not really fair comparisons I guess, as those machines cost 2-3 times what the ACE 325 costs.

I have 15 years experience riding quads and 8 years riding SXS.

Loves: I love the concept of a single rider ATV with a steering wheel. On smooth tight trails where I could go a little faster, it was a blast. I didn't for the most part, notice a lack of power on these types of trails.

Hates: Just about everything else. On loose gravel trails, I felt like the rear end wanted to come around and be the front end. A closer ratio 4wd engagement would be a big improvement.

The suspension is horrible, probably on par with my old Sportsman 500. But I guess that's to be expected, since it's a similiar design. But at least on a quad, you can stand up on rough trails and use your legs and muscles to absorb some of the shock. With the ACE, you are strapped into the seat, your body takes it all.

I didn't mind the lack of EPS on loose dirt trails when moving at 5+ MPH, but when on tight rocky trails, I had to white knuckle the wheel to keep it from ripping out of my hands. Not such a big deal with handle bars as you have more leverage, but EPS is needed with a steering wheel. I also felt the steering wheel was too far away. I needs to be closer, so I'll probably consider a spacer. Might not be a big deal if I had EPS.

I felt the ACE was much harder to navigate diffcult terrain than my 850. With the 850, I could lean into the incline and still feel stable. Not so when you are strapped into the seat. Also, when dealing with hand controls, I can move between throttle and brake much faster, as you have one hand on the throttle, and one on the brake, with the ACE, you have foot movement time.

I thought after a longer ride, seeing as I'm 6'3", my right foot would get tired. Not so. It was my left! There was just no comfortable place to put it, to have even pressure under my hole foot. After a while, my heel started getting really tired from supporting the weight of my entire leg. I usually hate dead pedals, but I think it might help distribute the weight on my foot.

There was a couple times I felt insecure in navigating difficult terrain due to the lack of power. This might be hard to understand, but there were a couple sections of trail that I've navigated fairly easily with my 850 several times in the past. I wasn't comfortable doing those with the ACE. I would have had it in low gear of course, but I would have had it to the floor to make it over the obstacles. The fear there being, once I cleared the obsticle, I would have been at full engine RPMs and felt like I would have launched out of there and into a dangerous situation. With the 850, I would just feather throttle the big engine up to enough power the clear. I guess I feel like I have more control with more power, that I'm not taking the engine to it's limits.

The rear windshield sucks at night. When needing to back up, light from objects in the front reflected off the read windshield, making it difficult to see. I'll definetly be ordering a rear light bar.

I didn't find the door nets as much of a hassle as I thought I would. But they are far too low. Being tall, and having the Desert Molding Seat Bases, I felt my upper extremeties where too high above the nets. If I ever roll, I don't think they would provide any protection to keep my hands and arms contained. Any suggestions on a solution here? Without spending $500 on doors, which probably aren't any higher than the nets? There's no reason why Polaris couldn't make the nets 6" taller, even if they had to add a second buckle. As the net got taller, they could use a wider weave so that side vision wasn't impaired as much.

Final thoughts: Some of these issues may get better as I gain more experience with the ACE, but some of them can only be fixed by adding a better suspension and EPS, which of course costs money, and by the time you do all that, you'd be up to the cost of a RZR 900 EPS trail. So that'd be a lot of money for a single rider machine.

I'm going to keep the ACE, keep riding it, and see if my feelings change. But at the moment, I'm glad I searched out a cheap used low mileage 325 with a lot of accessories instead of spending probably $2K more on a 570. I won't be upgrading to a 570 as quickly as I thought I would, unless I find a smokin' deal on one. I definetly would not spring for the 900. That much power with this crappy of a suspension would kill me.

I will likely spend the $500 and add an EZ Steer EPS unit. But I'm a little leary about spending that much on an accessory that you have to take apart half the machine to install. It would make it difficult to remove when it comes time to sell the unit and move it to the new one if I ever decide to upgrade in the future.
I think in all honesty that you could say I love it and I hate it on just about anything you could ride. They all lack in some ways and all shine in other ways. You're right as far as your comparisons. You choose two high end machines to use for comparison and then go buy a USED low end Ace. Not to say the higher priced Ace might get you a better result but you'd at least know how it was treated before you got a hold of it. The Ace doesn't need to be leaned into like an atv, and after you get more seat time you will quit being scared and actually see what they can and cant do. One ride will not let you come to these kind of conclusions....no matter how hard you drove it or didn't. The ride is a little harsh compared to a RZR but with a set of suspension seat brackets it will take most of the harshest out of the ride. I'm not putting down your review of a machine, just pointing out how little you actually know about the Ace. Once you take multiple rides and learn how to ride these things you review may change considerably. Also if you want to compare to a higher priced and bigger machine such as the 900S RZR, it would be much fairer that you used a top of the line machine such as an Ace 570 SP....then you might actually be able to make an unbiased review. The standard Aces will never be able to compete with a top of the line machine as the RZR, but will still do things that the RZRs wont....such as go on narrower trails. fit on narrower trailers or in the bed of your truck. Try putting a 60 inch RZR in the bed and see how that works out for you. Thanks for taking the time to review the machine....I just have some disagreement about how it was done....Good Riding

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The good news is that if you get a good set of clip pliers and remove the front end clips, you can lift the entire plastic up on the front and get some good space to work.

Very thorough write up. This was my first off road vehicle so I have nothing to compare it to. Makes me wonder if a Rzr would blow me away.
Yeah...At $3K more for a RZR EPS Trail over a 900 ACE SP, with a better suspension, 2 seats, etc, it would be a tough choice.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Consider the Wicked built Electra steer, it costs a little more but zero disassembly of the machine is required.
Thanks for the tip. I just looked at the Electra Steer install instructions. Seems a lot simpler, and it also looks like the same kit works with 2014 and 2015, so that's a plus as well.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I think in all honesty that you could say I love it and I hate it on just about anything you could ride. They all lack in some ways and all shine in other ways. You're right as far as your comparisons. You choose two high end machines to use for comparison and then go buy a USED low end Ace. Not to say the higher priced Ace might get you a better result but you'd at least know how it was treated before you got a hold of it. The Ace doesn't need to be leaned into like an atv, and after you get more seat time you will quit being scared and actually see what they can and cant do. One ride will not let you come to these kind of conclusions....no matter how hard you drove it or didn't. The ride is a little harsh compared to a RZR but with a set of suspension seat brackets it will take most of the harshest out of the ride. I'm not putting down your review of a machine, just pointing out how little you actually know about the Ace. Once you take multiple rides and learn how to ride these things you review may change considerably. Also if you want to compare to a higher priced and bigger machine such as the 900S RZR, it would be much fairer that you used a top of the line machine such as an Ace 570 SP....then you might actually be able to make an unbiased review. The standard Aces will never be able to compete with a top of the line machine as the RZR, but will still do things that the RZRs wont....such as go on narrower trails. fit on narrower trailers or in the bed of your truck. Try putting a 60 inch RZR in the bed and see how that works out for you. Thanks for taking the time to review the machine....I just have some disagreement about how it was done....Good Riding
You give reviews and comparisons on the equipment you have, not on the equipment you want. As I mentioned, the ACE was slightly used, not abused. I wouldn't have bought it if it was.

I'm not sure if you read my commens carefully or not. I already have the suspension seat package installed. I'm not sure how a "high end" ACE SP would have changed my opinion, much. It doesn't change the suspension, and only adds doors and power steering. I already indicated PS would change some of my dislikes of the ACE.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Id take the factory EPS option over aftermarket, especially on a new machine. No hassles with warranty if you have an issue that can be traced back to the aftermarket eps install.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts