Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heading to Little Sahara in OK for Memorial Day Weekend and I need to get a whip. The rule is, "All vehicles must have a whip attached to the ORV that extends 10 feet from the ground to the top of the whip.
All vehicles must have a 6" x 12" flag attached within 10" of the whip's tip. It must be bright solid orange in color with no writing."

Based on what I've been seeing most whips are about 6 foot long, so where do most people attach them and how? Attached to the roll cage? Using one of the many mounting holes on the back? I'd love to see what you have done.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
The rules around here are 8' to the top of the pole and that is a lot easier to meet. I use an older style 3 section steel auto antenna that is 5' when extended, mounted on a spring base and then have that mounted to a Polaris antenna mounting system. By mounting to the top of the rear bed, I meet the 8' rule, but would not meet the 10' rule. Even mounted to the cage cross member at the rear, you will be close but depending on the whip, may not quiet meet that 10'. Make sure you use a spring base, or you will be replacing fiberglass whips real often. I broke my 3/8" fiberglass whip 3x in one day on tree branches.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. That gives me a bit more to work with. That mount looks like it'll work well Matt. With the full back window in place I'll have to find a good spot where it won't bind, but I think that'll be OK.

As for trees...I live in Nebraska. Most of the trails around here are open and sandy. Then again, I rolled my Ace on it's side 5 minutes into my first ride. (loose corn field soil and I wanted to see how tight I could turn it. Heh!) So maybe a sprung mount would be a good idea. Need to find a mount for the wife's Sportsman too. She didn't like the Ace. She's weird. ;)

·
Registered
131 Posts
Majik, I mounted both my whip mounts in my bed to the cross member. Simply removed the bed bolt, dropped the bolt and washer through the flag mount and and tighted it back up. it is using the same bolt that holds the bed on to the rear frame. I do give up a little bed space but I wanted the whips on something that wouldn't rip out. I wasn't sure how the lock and ride holder would do around tree branches when the whips catch the branches. If it does well, let us know.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
I've had my L&R flag mount on the Ace for 6 months now and on the Rzr for over 4 years, and believe me, the mesquite trees will do more to a flag and pole than any other tree out there. Broke several fiberglass poles when the mesquite thorns grabbed the flag and bent it 90°, but the L&R mount has never flinched. I have since gone to a metal whip pole and a spring base, but still use the L&R mount and it has worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Texan, that is good to hear. I may pick up two of those lock and ride ones then as well. It would be nice to have the bed space back.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've had my L&R flag mount on the Ace for 6 months now and on the Rzr for over 4 years, and believe me, the mesquite trees will do more to a flag and pole than any other tree out there. Broke several fiberglass poles when the mesquite thorns grabbed the flag and bent it 90°, but the L&R mount has never flinched. I have since gone to a metal whip pole and a spring base, but still use the L&R mount and it has worked flawlessly.
Ha! I'm less worried about trees than I am rolling over and on top of the whip! ;) not saying I'm reckless, but if you can't have fun, then what's the point?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts