Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A day or two ago I noticed that the left side latch of my front box cover was a little looser than the right. I did not give it much thought and I should have.

View attachment 1093

The bolt that holds the latch mechanism vibrated out and the latch is missing. The bolt threads into a plastic shaft but I will try thread lock on the replacement and hope it works on plastic. It might be worth checking your Ace. Any advice on securing metal into plastic would be appreciated.

·
Registered
54 Posts
HI Hayseed, somebody posted a couple weeks ago about those bolts getting loose. I checked mine & both were loose. Put some blue locktite on them & that seems to have done the trick. Cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
Same thing on mine left side. Looked at an ace at the dealership this week and same side was loose. Check them or lose them:}

Sent from my MILESTONE3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Mine was loose from the dealer. Nearly lost it.
After 120 or so miles this weekend, it was loose again in a different way (the smaller crossbar bolt vs the whole latch assembly - the big nut).
Going to loctite them this week.
Mine was the right side as you sit in the seat.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Me too! Both sides were loose. The left side fell off in my garage so I heard it hit the floor so I found the parts easy enough. I checked the right side and it too was very loose.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Same here! One fell off while riding. Couldn't believe I actually found it by retracing where I had ridden. Lost the little bolt so I have to try to find one. Have already put loctite on the one that's still on and will do the same on the other when I get a new bolt.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Wow, this is a common problem. Same thing happened on my left latch as well. I had to buy the whole thing new. Polaris doesn't just sell the metal part. (urgh!)

I used blue loctite on the new one. The other thing I noticed is that the latch needs to turn IN, not out. there is a bump out on the inside but not the outside, that the latch holds onto. If it's turned out, it'll hold but bounce more, probably making things worse.

I recommend checking the large ring nut too. That worked loose on mine as well. Polaris really needs to go with metal there, not plastic.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My upper seatbelt bolt/lock nut was loose, not hand tight. My neighbor touched it and it came off. I re-installed and tightened.
Today, I decided to run the wiring harness for my new LED lights. I pulled the seat and the left cover to get to the battery to remove the terminal while wiring it up.
I found the battery sitting there, with nothing holding it down. Just a battery. I can see where something goes, but it isn't there.
So, I decided to do some of my own QA/QC and found many lose bolts. There are also way too many of those plastic plugs that hold most everything down.
I probably found at least 10 to 12 loose bolts. Some very important, some not so important.
So I spent half the day going over everything I could to make sure most everything was tight, like it supposed to be from the factory.
I also found a ty-wrap that was used when the winch wiring was installed, that was hitting the fan blade. Just had to be cut.
I also found an allen wrench on the seat slider when I removed the seat. I didn't see any allen heads that small while tightening everything up.

·
Registered
394 Posts
I checked the nuts on mine today. They were tighter than hand tight, but I did snug them up more to make sure they don't vibrate off..

BUT, I did find both bolts that hold the latches about ready to fall off. So today, again, I looked around all morning for loose bolts and nuts under the front end.

I think my bike was built on a Monday or Friday. Someone forgot or signed off on a lot of stuff that wasn't done.

·
Registered
394 Posts
mistake.JPG

Another booboo that I didn't notice till today.
It looks like something didn't go right so they drilled a hole and ran one of those plastic rivets from under the fender.
Looks crappy, but I can live with it now. It is to the right of the gas pedal.

On another note, how does everyone else remove these plastic rivets? I took some dikes and lightly pinched and pulled the inside part out.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Thanks.
I am not anti-Harbor Freight, especially if I need something disposable or that I may only use once.
I think I need to keep this kind of tool on the Ace. You can't get to anything without taking out a few of those plastic thingys.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I would pick up a bag of 50/100 to keep on hand for the push pins. Some end up wonky after awhile

·
Registered
394 Posts
Can you get them anywhere else besides Polaris? If so, what are they called and what size are they?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts