Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, trying to figure out how in the world to access the fill plug on the front differential, or demand Drive unit. The front of my unit has a protective plate I guess you would call it, that is welded to the overall front frame and I don't see any way to remove it without taking off the entire metal framing on the front of the unit. See attached picture. I bought this unit used, and based on the condition of the other fluids I changed, the front diff really needs fresh fluid in it but I can't access it! I don't know what the bolts on the front do, but they certainly don't take anything off because the piece is welded to the larger frame. Help!

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi, the fill plug is located on the bottom right side of the demand drive unit. Acess the fill plug through the right front wheel well (better to remove the right wheel to give you room). Maintain the fluid level even with the bottom thread of the fill plug. The drain plug is obviously on the bottom of the gearcase. A pic is shown in the ACE Maintenance manual - if you don't have one, should be online somewhere.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi, the fill plug is located on the bottom right side of the demand drive unit. Acess the fill plug through the right front wheel well (better to remove the right wheel to give you room). Maintain the fluid level even with the bottom thread of the fill plug. The drain plug is obviously on the bottom of the gearcase. A pic is shown in the ACE Maintenance manual - if you don't have one, should be online somewhere.
Thanks. I downloaded a copy of the user manual. So the right side being as if I'm sitting at the steering wheel, correct? I'm not sure I can access it even if I remove the wheel. Looks like I'd have to remove the boot and then there's still a metal piece of the frame in the way (see photo). What a pain in the ass!

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Correct - right hand side as sitting facing forward. The filler plug which you can't see in your pic is located between the two rubber boots - more to the right in your pic. I used a long socket drive to undo. And a tube from the bottle to refill. And once jacked, just had the right wheel removed to gain access.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Correct - right hand side as sitting facing forward. The filler plug which you can't see in your pic is located between the two rubber boots - more to the right in your pic. I used a long socket drive to undo. And a tube from the bottle to refill. And once jacked, just had the right wheel removed to gain access.
Ok, I'll give it a try. Appreciate the help and advice.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The first time I did mine (new from the dealer) the plug was so stuck it rounded out. I ended up welding a bolt onto the plug and got it out that way (then ordered a replacement plug) Ever since I always make sure to slather the threads & oring with oil before installing.

I've found that pretty much any water crossing gunks up the front diff, and they're really picky about the right fluid and no contaminants, so I replace mine at least once a year.

·
Registered
99 Posts
The first time I did mine (new from the dealer) the plug was so stuck it rounded out. I ended up welding a bolt onto the plug and got it out that way (then ordered a replacement plug) Ever since I always make sure to slather the threads & oring with oil before installing.

I've found that pretty much any water crossing gunks up the front diff, and they're really picky about the right fluid and no contaminants, so I replace mine at least once a year.
Wow, never ever heard of those issues on the front diff? My Ace has about 2700 kms from owning new - deer hunting use only - every trip involves going through multiple river crossings up to the seat sometimes. Rocky NZ river beds from our Alps. I have changed the front diff oil twice over 5 years of ownership and still looks good when i drain the fluid. The Polaris manual says good.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts