Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I opened the front storage compartment cover and the hinges both snapped right off. I was not pushing it or pulling on it, I just opened it and when it reached the fully opened position (what I think was fully opened) it snapped one hinge and then the other right afterwards. Contacted dealer and they said Polaris will not warranty it because it was my fault. The dealer said that the good news is it only cost about $60.00 for a new one! Home Depot has stainless hinges for about $5.00, Polaris can keep their cover. Looks like many of us are having problems with these covers in one way or another. I am going to put limiter straps on the cover so it cant be opened to far.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
So I opened the front storage compartment cover and the hinges both snapped right off. I was not pushing it or pulling on it, I just opened it and when it reached the fully opened position (what I think was fully opened) it snapped one hinge and then the other right afterwards. Contacted dealer and they said Polaris will not warranty it because it was my fault. The dealer said that the good news is it only cost about $60.00 for a new one! Home Depot has stainless hinges for about $5.00, Polaris can keep their cover. Looks like many of us are having problems with these covers in one way or another. I am going to put limiter straps on the cover so it cant be opened to far.
I broke mine as well, but only when I attached a storage bag to the top of the cover and filled it with bottles of water and protein drinks, and then let go of it while it was fully open.
Previous to that, I had actually propped it fully open with tension using a piece of wood a few times while working on wiring with no breakage (but maybe that weakened it).

It is a poor design, and one must be careful, for sure. Limiting straps would be a good idea.
But at least Polaris is not charging crazy prices for that piece, like for the winch fascia.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess I wasn't the only one that thought the design sucked. I don't see either one of those parts on their website...wuz up with that?

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Sucks that they denied the warranty claim though.
If they put cables on the next model year, clearly they recognize it as a weak point.

Anyway, this is why I did not buy the extended warranty.

With all of the money I save by not buying extended warranties, I can fix my own stuff if it breaks, and have some left over.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
HA... LMFAO. Don't open it any further to test it!:yr1: Thanks to you both for the great info and support. I'm going to call popo tomorrow myself. I wont expect much but its only a phone call.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Well, I certainly don't want you to break it while testing it (it's not an iPhone after all), but I am curious whether the cable would in fact stop it from breaking the hinge.
Also the cable is only on one side. Hmmm.
I think if I do make cables for mine, there will be one on each side.

·
Registered
67 Posts

usstickers do you have a pic of thoses hinges at home depot? and how do you plan on mounting them? part# would work too.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hood hinges...maybe

usstickers do you have a pic of thoses hinges at home depot? and how do you plan on mounting them? part# would work too.
I did not do the install yet because you guys mentioned that cable (THANK YOU ALL). I went and called the dealer again and gave him the part numbers for the cable install. He said he checked all of his machines he had in stock and they all had the cable on them so he is going to try again with popo to get it warrantied. If they say no for warranty im gonna try these hinges: hingetest.jpg hoodhinges.jpg

·
Registered
67 Posts
I did not do the install yet because you guys mentioned that cable (THANK YOU ALL). I went and called the dealer again and gave him the part numbers for the cable install. He said he checked all of his machines he had in stock and they all had the cable on them so he is going to try again with popo to get it warrantied. If they say no for warranty im gonna try these hinges: View attachment 1931 View attachment 1932

thanks for the pics, im going to give polaris a call tomorrow if i dont forget, i think i got sometimers, some times i remember some times i dont.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts