Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
Haven't figured out fuel economy the ACE gets but want to carry several gallons of fuel on each ACE for those days we do 80+ mile rides.

If you are carrying spare fuel, please share with pics how you did it. Putting a 5 gallon can in the rear is not an option for us. Would like something more aesthetic.

Thanks!
Drew

·
Registered
259 Posts
I carry a two and a half gallon red plastic fuel can on the left side of my storage box. Thats the side that does not open. I strap it down with two small ratchet straps. Front one to the cage and back to the bumper. It has ridden there for many miles without any problems. Surprisingly, I have never used it for myself as I have never run out of gas myself. This works for me, and an inexpensive way to carry spare gas.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I don't think anyone has yet posted MPG info on the 570, but I can tell you that the 330 got me 135 miles on a tank in Utah with major elevation changes and fast riding.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've run out of gas on my Yamaha Grizzlies and it isn't any fun especially getting made fun of by the Poo ATV riders I was with. I was averaging 75 miles per tank on my Grizzly 700. About 3/4 of that was speeds of 5mph or so climbing rocky trails (I guess they call them the Rocky Mountains for a reason) and 1/4 on less technical stuff doing 20 mph. I carried a 4 gallon rotopax mounted on front storage rack which was enough for for wife and I to do a full days ride (8-10 hours) without having to worry about running out of fuel.

Marauder, thanks for the Kimpex storage suggestion. I think I ordered the last one on Ebay and no more till June. Do you know what size containers it will fit? 1 gallon, 2.5 gallon, 5 gallon??? I'll need to find an alternate fuel storage for wife's rig now. Perhaps mounting the long 4 gallon Kolpax on top of roof and using it as a roof for shjade in addition to fuel; would be ugly if I rolled the ACE and got fuel all over oneself though.

Thanks guys, keep the tips and suggestions coming!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Hi,
Haven't figured out fuel economy the ACE gets but want to carry several gallons of fuel on each ACE for those days we do 80+ mile rides.

If you are carrying spare fuel, please share with pics how you did it. Putting a 5 gallon can in the rear is not an option for us. Would like something more aesthetic.

Thanks!
Drew
Drew, you will easily be able to get 80+ miles out of the 5 gallon Ace fuel tank. I don't know if you have the 330 or 570 but can tell you last September I made a 500 mile round trip in Utah in a 570 RZR and got over 30 MPG and that's with two of us in it, so I don't think you will ever have to worry about a trip of 100 miles or less. My 570 Ace also get tremendous mileage. Just my thoughts

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Carrying extra fuel on a long run is always a good idea. You never know when you're going to need to tow someone else who broke down, or whatever.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Carrying extra fuel on a long run is always a good idea. You never know when you're going to need to tow someone else who broke down, or whatever.
I agree with you completely. On our Utah trip we had extra fuel and the 570 RZR was the only machine to NEVER need fuel on the trail. The first day we went 150 miles and we never put fuel in the RZR til we got to our destination, so yes extra fuel is a good idea but knowing what your machine can do is something everyone also should know. The 570 engine is supposed to be one of the best fuel milage motors Polaris has ever used. I read that somewhere the other day and can confirm it with my own experiences with that engine

Reactions: Rduhon

·
Registered
37 Posts
I fuel up before every ride and try to reset my trip odometer when I fuel and know that the longest ride I've been on was 58 miles and I put it 2.58 gallons. We did quite a bit of hard riding that day and was full throttle a lot, plus I'm running a PCV which riches up the fuel as much at 18% at points. Most of our rides are right around 30-35 miles and have always put in less than 2 gallons.

Oh and I have a 570.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I fuel up before every ride and try to reset my trip odometer when I fuel and know that the longest ride I've been on was 58 miles and I put it 2.58 gallons. We did quite a bit of hard riding that day and was full throttle a lot, plus I'm running a PCV which riches up the fuel as much at 18% at points. Most of our rides are right around 30-35 miles and have always put in less than 2 gallons.

Oh and I have a 570.

Thanks for the feedback. Could you elaborate what you mean by hard riding? Here in CO, it means technical riding with rock obstacles and off camber situations requiring use of 4 low and crawling at slower speeds <10mph. Some folks define it as riding 40-50mph on the straight aways. Thanks!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. Could you elaborate what you mean by hard riding? Here in CO, it means technical riding with rock obstacles and off camber situations requiring use of 4 low and crawling at slower speeds <10mph. Some folks define it as riding 40-50mph on the straight aways. Thanks!
All of the above. LOL, here in MT we are able to ride in town and on secondary roads, so when we go for a ride we see everything from paved roads and stoplight traffic to trails, mud, snow, etc. But that day was alot of in and out of the throttle and sustained higher rpm's.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Motor vehicle Vehicle Tractor Agricultural machinery Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire

I think I'm gonna go with this. Limits vision just a tiny bit, mounts to seat belt bracket.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Nice job on the mounts, Vinny (I work at a metal fab shop). Only thing is I don't think I'd put the can where either the spout or vent would be right by my head. Even if the tank is quality and won't spill a drop, I'd probably be forgetful and leave the vent open or something dumb and get covered in gas. Also, are you worried about it getting beat up by sticks, branches, etc.?
I need to mount a gas can somewhere, too, before me and fam go on a week long trip. I'm thinking similar to your good idea, but maybe slide that all back along side the rear compartment, and tuck in behind the cage. I have a back plexi, so that will keep my senility from soaking me in gas should I forget to close the vent, too. I think I'll go smaller on the can size, as I would only be carrying for "reserve" or emergency use, and not need it for a 50 mile ride or anything. Just so someone in our group has a gallon or so to get us to gas, or at least to a better spot if the need arises.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Nice job on the mounts, Vinny (I work at a metal fab shop). Only thing is I don't think I'd put the can where either the spout or vent would be right by my head. Even if the tank is quality and won't spill a drop, I'd probably be forgetful and leave the vent open or something dumb and get covered in gas. Also, are you worried about it getting beat up by sticks, branches, etc.?
I need to mount a gas can somewhere, too, before me and fam go on a week long trip. I'm thinking similar to your good idea, but maybe slide that all back along side the rear compartment, and tuck in behind the cage. I have a back plexi, so that will keep my senility from soaking me in gas should I forget to close the vent, too. I think I'll go smaller on the can size, as I would only be carrying for "reserve" or emergency use, and not need it for a 50 mile ride or anything. Just so someone in our group has a gallon or so to get us to gas, or at least to a better spot if the need arises.
Good points, I've been a little iffy about it being so close to the driver but when you are in the machine it seems good. I tried turning it 90 and it seems better. It doesn't stick past the fender.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26 Posts
If I were Arnold, I'd loosen your vent cap and as you drove off, light up a cig and throw it on the gas trail. Kaboom! Similar to the cartoons where they lite the gunpowder trail, lol.

I guess as long as a guy makes sure it's all closed up, it's all good. Not sure what else a guy could do, really. At least with the caps to the back, you're less likely to have a branch knock one loose or off.

Any noticeable difference with the weight up there (and with a tire) raising your CoG?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts