Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for 1.5 to 2 gal. gas can that can be mounted on the Ace. It can either be the Lock and Ride type or one that mounts on the roll cage.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
I had the molle panel custom made by Orangebox fabrication, the Rotopax have various mount options. Suggest youtube for ideas.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm not sure you can get them anymore. Also locate under Coleman brand. I opted for a 5 liter Jerry can. Metal, sealed, and heat and vibration proof. Bungeed in back works great.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I made this se image.jpg t up with 3/4" PVC pipe. Flambou ammo box. Dilled 4 holes on bottom and eng compartment cover. Put latches on cover to keep it from popping up. image.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Rotopax are just so dang expensive .
Anyone know of a different mfg. or best place to get them ?
Thanks
Theres Kolpin if you can find them. Kolpin was around before Rotopax, but had a really poor cap design that leaked like a sieve. Nobody else makes a ATV/UTV or off road specific designed fuel can that I can think of. There is a company that manufactures and sells small aluminum fuel cans, but very expensive and only @ 1 liter capacity if I recall.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Well if Kolpin makes a box for hauling fuel why would be any different than carrying it in a bin. If it was dangerous why would Kolpin sell one.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Well if Kolpin makes a box for hauling fuel why would be any different than carrying it in a bin. If it was dangerous why would Kolpin sell one.

I don't think Kolpin sells a box or bin made specifically to store fuel tanks in. Kolpin did make an ATV/UTV fuel container that looks just like the Rotopax 4 gallon tank. But like I mentioned the caps leaked horribly and they had nothing but issues with them. Eventually they stopped selling them at one point. I believe they are now selling a new version. But for my money, I'd spend the extra and buy Rotopax. Rotopax have been proven bullet proof.

But I think the main concern is the amount of heat in the trunk area of the ACE. A tote or bin or whatever you call it just doesn't seem like the safest place to carry a fuel can. Burning to death just don't sound like any fun. But hey if someone wants to do it, who am I to say no.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So why do you guys all looking for something special gas can? What is wrong with a standard gas can that you can pick up at any Walmart?

Is it just about the mounting or something else that I missed?

I`m asking that because I probably have to buy at least one 10L can to take it with us on the rides and I was thinking on buying a standard can from Amazon. I have two 20L already, no problem with them, they are just too big for the Ace.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Apparently there is some problems with people carrying gas cans in the back and if they leak there is a good chance of starting a fire because it can leak down to the exhaust or engine. With the Rotopax cans they guarantee not to leak but they are very expensive. I was going to put my Walmart gas can in a cargo box that I bought but people say it gets pretty warm in the box being right over the exhaust and with the gas expanding and being in a closed box might not be the best. I haven't mounted the box and trail rode it to see if it does get hot in there so if anyone knows first hand let me know.

·
Registered
166 Posts
So why do you guys all looking for something special gas can? What is wrong with a standard gas can that you can pick up at any Walmart?

Is it just about the mounting or something else that I missed?

I`m asking that because I probably have to buy at least one 10L can to take it with us on the rides and I was thinking on buying a standard can from Amazon. I have two 20L already, no problem with them, they are just too big for the Ace.
Most economy plastic gas cans will leak if full, and exposed to moderate heat... like setting in the sun on a hot day.

Between a mediocre main cap seal, and a pop-open vent cap, there can be quite a puddle develop if left in a canopy covered pickup bed... creating a fuel-air mixture just waiting for ignition!

What is needed to avoid leakage is a container with leak resistant caps... body construction that can cope with pressure and expansion that comes with increased temperature after filling.

Leak-proof venting would be ideal, but I don't know of a brand, or type of gas can that offers that feature?

Breaking the cap seal during stops along the trail will help to neutralize pressure changes during the ride... also a good idea if your ride covers wide variations in elevation... something easily observed if you tote GI Ammo Cans between Sea Level and mile high Mountain Country!

I'm planning on buying the "No-Spill" gas cans on Amazon, I posted on another thread... and bungee them on top of my storage box.

I'll build a frame out of hardware store aluminum angle, if needed to keep the cans from shifting.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts