Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined the forums today and I need some opinions. I'm going to be buying mine in the next couple of weeks and just wondering if anyone can fill me in on opinions / experiences with whether or not the SP would be worth it for the power steering. Most of my riding will be trail riding so i'm leaning towards the SP. Having not ridden a non-ps version of the Ace I have no point of reference. Can anyone throw me a bone?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Cracker, we had some discussion about the need for power steering a few threads back. For some, it is a necessity. I personally didn't feel like the 570 needed it after finally driving it but I also know of others that have needs for power steering, especially if you have shoulder/arm issues that make it difficult to steer. I was thinking about waiting for the SP for just that reason. Once I bought my 570, I thought is was extremely easy to steer so I'm glad I didn't wait and spend the extra money.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I don't think the PS is necessary with stock size tires, not sure if you go to bigger sizes though. Personally I would do the SP for the engine braking but you can add it to the regular 570 for around $500 plus install.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Just joined the forums today and I need some opinions. I'm going to be buying mine in the next couple of weeks and just wondering if anyone can fill me in on opinions / experiences with whether or not the SP would be worth it for the power steering. Most of my riding will be trail riding so i'm leaning towards the SP. Having not ridden a non-ps version of the Ace I have no point of reference. Can anyone throw me a bone?
Welcome to the forum!

For me, PS is a must-have, partly due to recurring tennis elbow, but mainly because at the end of the day I'm a lot less tired with the PS.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Get the Voodoo Blue. It looks awesome and will look better over time. I've has quads with black plastics and they look terrible pretty quickly.
I don't think power steering is needed, and you can add it later if you want.

·
Registered
421 Posts
x2 Add power steering later.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I went with the SP. There are alot of tight wooded trails with hills where engine braking helps. Also liked the look of the metallic black paint, yet resistant to swirling from cleaning. Power steering is roughly a $1200 option + engine braking around $500. My sp otd was $9960.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Don't know about the engine brake, but power steering is under 500 bucks(Super ATV), and a nice set of wheels from Discount Tie Direct can be as cheap as 210.00 a set. Even less if you have their credit card.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Just did a 115 mile ride today and I still say, for the average person(I'm 74) there is no need for PS. Now, for the steep rocky terrain we ride, I think the EB is a necessity.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Clearly it's a matter of preference, and what kind of terrain is being ridden. If you were ABLE to go 115 miles in one day, you WEREN'T riding in stuff like this (below). For which EPS makes LOT of difference.

View attachment 2783 View attachment 2784 View attachment 2785 View attachment 2786
I have a voodoo blue 570 and will agree with Scoundrel. If your riding terrain like he showed all day long definitely get PS, but for average trail riding PS is completely not needed, and the regular 570 has enough natural engine braking that EBS is really not needed. If you just keep the clutch engaged by blipping the throttle, the regular 570 will keep you slowed down enough where you rarely even use the brakes, and not to mention Polaris EBS system is overly aggressive and will cause the rear tires to lock and skid on loose rocks and slippery surfaces. I have made two trail rides on mine so far and down some pretty steep stuff and never missed the EBS that was on my 13 sportsman 500. as a matter of fact I'm glad the ACE didn't have it JMO

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just my $0.02 but if I had known about the SP when I bought my 570 Voodoo Blue I would have waited. I ride the type of trails that Scoundrel shows and would like the PS and EB, it isn't needed but I would prefer it. It is no different than any vehicle, I don't need the leather, heated seats, sunroof, nav system, however, it is worth some extra money to me for my enjoyment. IMHO, the extra money for the SP would be worth it for me but only you know if it is worth it for your situation.

·
Registered
114 Posts
570 Ace with added EPS.
I'm 71 and the Polaris EPS is great. I have bigger tires and ride rocky rutty trails and don't get tired by the end of a 90 mile day.
My advise is to get the SP with the engine braking and other goodies. You won't be sorry.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Wow, thanks for all the info. This is clearly a divided issue. I do ride mostly trails, but at Browns Camp here in Oregon I tend to stay away from the more extreme stuff shown in those pictures. Some of the trails are tight but not terribly. I do plan to get a set of paddles and take it to the dunes. Don't know if PS will really do much of anything there for me but I am concerned about the EBS. I've read a few things about people concerned that the EBS is far too aggressive, even to the point of causing one person to have an accident.
At this point I'm leaning towards the VooDoo and maybe just add the Polaris PS. I don't think EBS will do much for me. (and I do NOT like the wheels that come on the SP).

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Yes, it's a divided issue. Everyone's got their preferences.
I agree about the EBS. I'd rather have control of when the wheels lock and when they don't. That's what the friggin' brake pedal is for.

The EBS and the wheels are 2/3 of the stuff the SP offers over the standard 570.
So if you're not keen on those wheels, or the EBS, then it really sounds like the standard 570, plus EPS later if you decide you want it, would be the best choice.

·
Registered
420 Posts
get the SP and trade me wheels then...lol
with the EBS or without you have to feather the throttle. With you feather to avoid the initial skid factor. without you feather to avoid freewheeling(and riding the brakes) down every hill.
heck get the SP and Ill trade you clutches so I can have EBS...lol
My buddy's 570 did really well at browns camp a few weeks ago(its maiden voyage).
Bottom line: I don't think you can go wrong with any of the ACE models.

·
Registered
57 Posts
My wee 325 works on a horse farm mostly pulling feed and dung trailers and across the hill fields, there is a lot of backing trailers into sheds etc, I have good mirrors, still a lot of wheel turning but I don't find it hard to steer (I'm 71). The biggest help is the open diff/turf mode that locks for 2 or 4x4. It now turns in almost half the circle compared to the demo Ace I tried and no crabbing when turning on hard road It cost extra but well worth it, very pleased with my Ace.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
If I had turf mode, the EPS would become much less important. The times when it helps me out the most is when turning sharp corners at low speed.
At that point I'm fighting against the machine's tendency to go straight due to the locked rear end.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts