Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never been to Glamis for Thanksgiving weekend. It seemed like half of SoCal was in the desert. A sea of white Rv's and dust filled the view. Law enforcement everywhere. Likewise with vendor's. The Ace did real well in these dunes and I will go back when not crowded.

·
Registered
111 Posts
We went to Jawbone a couple of years ago, and it was like something from a Mad Max film. Vehicles screaming around 24 hours a day, seeming to work in shifts. Loud music of all types playing everywhere. Huge bonfires, tribal flags, people playing with explosives and cannons. The whole area was enveloped in a constant cloud of dust. One of the couples we were with had a big fight about whether it was OK that their fifteen-year-old daughter was drunk. I don't think we would go on a holiday again.

The fun part was riding in my cousin's husband's little sandrail. It is a little two-seater, with a built Corvair engine and a supercharger. I had never been in anything that quick. At last report, he had never lost a drag to a 400 cc or below motorcycle on the flats. I was too freaked out to look for a speedo, but it felt like 0-60 in about two seconds.

Here in Arizona, we can go riding over holidays and see five people on the trails in a day.

Our Aces are new to us - you make me want to go to California with them now!

Matt B

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Been there, done that, never again. We are only an hour or two from Glamis and have NO inclination of going back.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Call me antisocial, but I've given up on poker runs or any place where you're going to have large groups of people running around flat out, largely unregulated.
Glamis sounds to me like a really fun place for a 20-something free spirit to be.
And a really good place to get run into by some asshat, get your **** stolen, etc.
Never been, and not likely to go.

I have been a to a few dune places, and the best one so far was Winchester Bay in OR.
Haven't been to St Anthony's in Idaho, I heard the dunes are taller there.
But after multiple experiments, I figure I'm just not a duner.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts