Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i realize that the application of the ace is not a deep mud hole/water hole machine. however i also realize that I'm not the only one who likes to do these things occasionally.... I know a few members of this site have already snorkeled their aces, but my question is not about snorkels, my question is, HOW DEEP HAVE YOU GONE WITH YOUR ACE? i have a factory ace, no snorkels and no big tires or lift. i have had mine in creek water deep enough to float my water bottle out of the cup holder, which puts it around your butt area, almost.... i know the manual says don't go deeper than 10" (which is around the floor board area) but honestly how often do we take advice from the manual? has anyone experienced problems from deep water that they know is caused by water? for example i'm concerned of water in my gas tank since the gas cap is right next to the shifter, I'm also assuming that the gas cap is vented... I've been reading on this forum to see if this has been discussed and it has been talked about slightly in other threads, but this thread specifically applies to how deep have you taken your ace(snorkeled or not)? and has anyone had any issues resulting of high water crossings?

·
Registered
394 Posts
The battery is below the seat. I am not sure where the gas tank vents is located.
I have ran with water over the floor but not enough to get over the seat.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I have had mine over my exhaust and had to literally hold my breath to get my winched unhooked to get me out. Btw i am snorkeled. I only experienced a small amount of water in the airbox due to the fact that it doesnt seal 100 percent. The bike stayed running the whole time. All of your vent lines run high up into the frame of the machine which makes it very hard to get water in them. The gas tank has a vent line as well, so as long as the rubber washer around your gas cap is in good condition you shouldnt have any water getting into your fuel. Remember your cvt exhaust is lower then the intakes i think thats the biggest issue to look out for, if water gets to the belt your not going anywhere lol.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok so I can see why the battery would be concerning but I've never had an issue submerging 12v batterys before, and it's happened a few times to me.. my biggest concerns where the electric system, which I plan on using die electric grease to seal my connectors, but if the battery is that concerning, why not put silicone on the posts to isolate them from water? I would be more concerned with the battery if I was planning on only doing deep water holes while mudding. But then again I would choose a different machine if I wanted to strictly do deep mud and water.. but seriously any ideas for water proofing your battery?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have recently taken my Ace across a wide river where the water was above the seat and fuel cap. Was just getting into shallow water and climbing out when the PVT belt started to slip. Luckily my mate with me winched the Ace out and I was able to drain the water out of the PVT drain plug. No water in the fuel tank or air box. But when back home, removed the PVT cover to reveal only a third of the rubber seal in place! No bits found lying in the clutch or belt area. Having the Ace from new with about 300 kms (not miles) on it, I reckon an assembly fault? Though couldn't convince the dealer so paid a measly $NZ 24.00 for a new seal and fitted it myself.
Since then taken out again on another deep river crossing at seat level (wet arse) and preformed well with no belt slipping. Re checked the PVT drain plug, no water. Though do agree with others on another thread, why the hell did Polaris not have the PVT exhaust snorkelled as high as the intakes? Being a bit low is asking for trouble!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Submerging your battery for a short amount of time is not an issue at all. Fresh water is a poor conductor so you aren't going to short or discharge your battery, and the battery is sealed tight enough that you won't get water intrusion.

·
Registered
447 Posts
The PVT exhaust is supposed to cool the header. I wrapped my header with exhaust wrap and was advised to remove the exhaust wrap as the PVT exhaust is focused on the header to keep it cool. That design was on the original Ace 325. I have no knowledge of the 570 or 900.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
I imagine that the 570 and the 900 would also require a little help cooling the header, unless they've come up with another solution for that.
A brief look at the parts diagrams indicates that the 570 is the same as the 325.
The 900, however, looks different. It looks like the header pipe is a 2-into-1 with a much bigger shroud on it. The CVT exhaust still looks like it helps cool the header. It's shaped differently now. Rather than being basically a pipe with a cutout, it looks like they've gone with a removable formed rubber hose that turns 90 degrees to direct the air onto the header more effectively.

View attachment 4481 View attachment 4482 View attachment 4483 View attachment 4484

1 - 9 of 9 Posts