Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there have been a few harness threads here and there, but I'm working on getting mine installed and while I'm still struggling to get the original belt off (I have mostly metric tools...doh!). I'd like to know how you all secure the shoulder belts on the bar. I know most of you using harnesses are wrapping around the rear roll cage bar. I'm cool with that, but I'm going to be using (for now) the stock seat, so I need to make sure the belts don't side around back there. One suggestion I found was to use bar clamps on either side of the belt to keep them in place. Not a bad idea, but at about $15 a pop, that ends up being a $60 solution. Not terrible, but I'm curious what others might have done instead. I do NOT want to drill into the roll cage or otherwise modify the cage directly. I could get some tabs and have them welded on for probably less than $60, but then I'd also have to worry about paint.

Here are the cheapest clamps (that I'd trust) that I found.

To be clear, i'm not suggesting using aluminum clamps to connect the belts to directly. I don't believe the aluminum could take the forces of an accident.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I know there have been a few harness threads here and there, but I'm working on getting mine installed and while I'm still struggling to get the original belt off (I have mostly metric tools...doh!). I'd like to know how you all secure the shoulder belts on the bar. I know most of you using harnesses are wrapping around the rear roll cage bar. I'm cool with that, but I'm going to be using (for now) the stock seat, so I need to make sure the belts don't side around back there. One suggestion I found was to use bar clamps on either side of the belt to keep them in place. Not a bad idea, but at about $15 a pop, that ends up being a $60 solution. Not terrible, but I'm curious what others might have done instead. I do NOT want to drill into the roll cage or otherwise modify the cage directly. I could get some tabs and have them welded on for probably less than $60, but then I'd also have to worry about paint.

Here are the cheapest clamps (that I'd trust) that I found.

To be clear, i'm not suggesting using aluminum clamps to connect the belts to directly. I don't believe the aluminum could take the forces of an accident.
I have a harness with the stock seat and a "non stock seat" the harness does not move around that much on the rear cage bar. I only secured it by wrapping it around the bar and used the metal loop holder that came with the harness.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
When I had 4-point harnesses in the RZR, I just looped them around the bar, and they mostly stayed put. Had to shift them a little from time to time, but only a little and it wasn't a big deal.
You could try them as-is first and if they move too much, then add clamps on either side of them to form a channel to hold them in place.

·
Registered
347 Posts
They make straps that connect the seat belts together for roll cage mounting, its just a strap with a loop on either side, slide the belts through the loops and attach to rollbar.

Here's one
Pro Armor Harness Retainers: SideBySideStuff.com

could prob even be made locally for you

Reactions: MAJikMARCer

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They make straps that connect the seat belts together for roll cage mounting, its just a strap with a loop on either side, slide the belts through the loops and attach to rollbar.

Here's one
Pro Armor Harness Retainers: SideBySideStuff.com

could prob even be made locally for you
Well hell, that's what i need right there. Awesome. Just need to find one sold as a single instead of a pair now.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Just a heads up everyone, I too was planning an aftermarket seat/5-point harness & just attach the harness around the bar behind the seat. Can't recall the site, but proper harness mounting caught my eye. The guy who rolled his ACE had mounted his harness on both his ACE & RZR to the rear bar which is fine for very slow speed roll overs. He had a high speed roll over & severely busted up both collarbones & dis-located his neck but was not paralyzed. After reading so many of the scary crash stories, installing a harness is more than simply installing to whichever bar is closest/strongest. The bar on the ACE is far too high & will most likely buckle the seat top & possibly cause a broken neck. Something to think about for sure...I've now decided on a harness mount bar. Dragonfire Racing offers a proper harness bar for the ACE to safely mount a harness at the correct height. In includes the welded tabs to lock & keep harness from sliding around, & it actually looks pretty nice.
sportsman-ace-lockdown-harness-bar_2.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts
Not sure if the rear bar on the aftermarket cages may already be at the right height? Was so shocked, I added new post for proper harness mounting which applies to ALL 4/5/6-point racing harnesses regardless of the machine they're mounted in. If I can reduce my own injuries by installing a simple device then that's a very small price to pay for protection :)

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I still want to keep the straps on the bar from sliding around, I was able to get the harness installed tonight. I had to cut the plastic on the right side to attach the belt, but nothing a RotoZip couldn't make short work of. That black plastic was like butter. All in all I'm pretty happy with the setup.
harness.jpg

·
Registered
438 Posts
Anyone know how to disable OEM seatbelt switch when replacing factory belts with 4 or 5 point harness? Thanks.

Dealer told me too "just bring it into and have the service dept. take care of it". Which really means..."its snowmobile season and we are 2+ months behind, so bring it in and we will have it ready by March or so and it will run you an hour of shop labor even though it takes them 5 minutes to do".

I haven't bought belts yet, but I want them for sure in the near future.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yup, 570 and 325 dont need the jumper plug,, its just a jumper wire that connects a circuit and tricks the ecu to thinking the seat belt is plugged in

1 - 20 of 20 Posts