Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always used my right foot for the throttle and my left foot for braking. With my 570 it feels strange to have both feet on the right side of the steering wheel, and I'm too old and set in my ways to try to adjust to right foot braking, especially in a panic situation. So I'm wondering just how much trouble it would be to relocate the brake to the left side of the cab. Has anyone considered this or actually modified their ACE ?

Stan

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm really surprised that this question has received 124 reads and no responses. Am I the only one who believes that it would be better to have the brake on the left hand side of the cab? I'm 6'2" with size 12 shoes and I find it very cramped to have both feet on the right hand side of the steering column. While sitting in the ACE I imagined where the brake pedal would be on the left hand side and considered where I would have room for my left foot if it wasn't on the brake, and found that there's still plenty of room. I have a pretty good metal bender in the area and when I get the chance I'll be taking the ACE to him to see what he thinks might be the easiest way to move the brake pedal over.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Hey, after thinking about it, you could just get a single master cylinder race car brake pedal with remote reservoir and floor mount it, you would have to make a floor plate so it has a solid mounting surface. Then get a longer SS flexible brake line and connect it to the factory brake line and attach the remote reservoir some where in the front. One of these pedal sets would fit good in the left foot well but you may have to make a hole in the firewall for the master cylinder and brake lines .
41FjNW-2wQL.jpg

Reactions: whatwasithinkin

·
Registered
102 Posts
I think it is an interesting idea and am watching the thread. I would be more interested in pursuing the remedy myself, but driving our RV has reconditioned me to right-foot-only driving. Also, two Aces in the family, so I would be doing the work twice.

I must say I never thought about jamming both of my size 12s into one side of the compartment. I have thought about switching from boots to sneakers or moccasins when I ride.

Learning to use the accelerator for downhill braking mitigated my interest significantly.

Matt B

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
M-Spec, I want to keep things as simple and inexpensive as possible, so I think just having a brake arm constructed to replace the one that is presently on the ACE would work best. I've looked at where it pivots to plunge against the master cylinder and it looks like an easy place to remove the existing brake pedal and replace it. Since the pressure on the brake pedal isn't all that great I'm not too worried about a modified brake arm being a bit longer than the present one. I'm thinking that the replacement brake arm would go behind the steering column, and there's plenty of room for pedal action. Heck, with the engine braking system on this machine I don't anticipate using the brake very often anyway.

And Matt, if we had a template for relocating the brake it would be very easy and inexpensive to have additional brake arms made. So I'm wondering just how many people would be interested in making this conversion if it proved to be a good improvement, or are there too few who still brake with their left foot ??

·
Registered
438 Posts
I am certainly curious about it. I raced stock cars for many years and was a left foot brake'r like most other circle track racers are. And owning a pair of SIZE 15 FEET(its a curse, not a blessing...lol) can make things a challenge in general, but I have found with my limited time in the ACE that jumping from the gas to the brake pedal with my right foot is something I have to think about. Its not as natural a movement as I would like. And while driving it, it has crossed my mind that maybe a left foot pedal might make life a little easier. But at this stage I will most likely wait until spring time to put any real effort into it. And in the meantime I may just end up getting used to it. My main concern with my big feet is that I cant drive this with my winter boots. Not only isn't there enough room for my feet inside the cab, but makes swinging my feet thru the door opening impossible too.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Stan I personally feel the brake pedal assembly is too flimsy to offset the pedal more than 1"- 2" with out the risk of it twisting up, also don't think 1-2" to the left wont help much for left foot braking or if its worth the hassle. It costs nothing to learn to brake with your right foot and will be second nature after a few rides.... hell, I had to get used to hand controls, that was weird and sketchy at first lol

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
M-Spec, it's not just learning to brake with the right foot, but having to do so under duress. That worries me some. At my age I don't adapt to change quite as easily as I once did.

whatwasithinking, I like the car you have on your signature. We used to race a supermodified on a 1/4 mile dirt track in Sacramento, CA until the Outlaws started showing up with their big dollar engines. But it was great fun while it lasted

·
Registered
102 Posts
And Matt, if we had a template for relocating the brake it would be very easy and inexpensive to have additional brake arms made. So I'm wondering just how many people would be interested in making this conversion if it proved to be a good improvement, or are there too few who still brake with their left foot ??
I suppose it would depend on how expensive and how many other projects I had going at the time. A very subjective answer, but the best I can do.

Matt B

·
Registered
31 Posts
I would definitely be interested if relatively inexpensive. Gas/Brake too close for my liking, especially with boots.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Wondering about an extension to the left with a hinged bracket for support makings an extra wide pedal that could be used with either foot without moving brake lines etc. Is that a possibility?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm waiting to hear what ds6380 has determined. If he's a fabricator maybe he can come up with something easy to fabricate. I don't think we need to apply a lot of pressure to the brake, as these little ACE's have great engine braking, but I like mrjd3's idea of having a support bracket. I'm thinking that the rod that the throttle and brake both hinge on could be extended to the left side of the cab and go into another bracket and the brake pedal moved over. But not being a fabricator myself I can only guess at what is doable.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Today I got the chance to install my Dragonfire Sport quick release steering wheel. And putting the seat in it for the first time since I put the DesertCraft suspension brackets in as well. The combination of slightly taller seat and now having the steering wheel slightly higher and a couple inches closer to me, gives me all sorts of leg room comfort I didn't have from the factory cockpit.

So getting to the brake pedal now is almost effortless. I'm not real tall at 6'0", but I'm all legs. So lifting my leg to get to the brake pedal usually meant smashing my knee into the steering wheel. I only had a couple minutes to romp around the back yard today after I got these in, but it sure makes the ride feel less cramped. The quick release sure makes getting in and out much simpler too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I just extended the pedal across into the left footwell with a piece of 1/2 conduit bolted to the top of the pedal. Works fine. 1/4-20 bolts fit right through the holes in the pedal. You do have to cut off one side of the bolt heads to fit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts