Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The forum activity has been slow recently. I thought I would share my Ace story.

About 5-6 years ago, my wife and I were enjoying our Honda quads, but lamented how our backs hurt after a ride. I started wondering if there was an alternative to the "sit-on" utility-sport quads. Due to an overdose of caffeine, I found myself at my computer at 3AM that night, and started researching for a sit-in, single seat quad. I found photos of the old Honda Odyssey, some go-karts, and then some references to the Polaris Ace. Everything I found said things like "it will have...", "when released, it will be...", etc. Nothing said that it actually existed.

It all made me curious. The next morning, I dropped into our nearest dealer. The first thing I saw after getting out of my truck was a used Ace! I consulted with my wife and bought it. After sharing it on a ride, we decided to get another!

No regrets, they have been great! The used one now has 2130 miles and the second (bought new) one has 1414. The new one had a failed voltage regulator in the first couple of days, both had a recall on the exhaust. The brake-starter interlock got weird on both, but cleaning the terminals on the brake switched fixed them. Oh, and I replaced one headlight bulb, aside from the oil and fluid changes.

My welder neighbor made front and rear bumpers for both. I did the shift cam upgrade on both. Very recently I added an LED spot for our (rare) night riding. I installed larger starting batteries recently. Both have horns and license plate lights and rear mirrors to be street legal here.

We still love them. They fixed our sore backs from riding, I worry that parts might become hard to get, but so far I haven't needed much.

·
Registered
18 Posts
pretty soon my 900sp is headed back home as I am moving to MN. I have a roof, windshield, stereo, harness, and 4/3 25“ hd rims on bighorns, I like stock rim size and squeezing thru the 50“ gates, the tires rub but I make it. Much more stable as well. Everyone goes bigger but I trust engineering over salesmen. I would guess the Ace would have come like this but I am at 50.5 or something. It still fits in my truck as well.

anybody who has an ace or likes them please chip on in, keep this forum alive!

just today I saw the Polaris branded Ace winch was 179 on Amazon a huge savings, there are 5 left if you are interested! I ordered one for so I am excited about that deal!
Great post, gotta luv Ace, I have also had an RZR and lots of dirt bikes. about 50 and sore or broken everywhere anymore. If you’re there you know what I’m talking about if you’re not you will. 😂 The Ace is just a tiny, fast, ultra comfy Jeep to me, and it can catch air too! I really enjoy it, and they are destined to be cult classics.

It was a vehicle that was best in the hands of intermediate to expert drivers but was marketed to beginners, many of whom rolled them immediately. For the right people though, the Ace in all four incarnations were and are just brilliant machines. One ought to be able to mechanical parts forever, but model specific accessories should be purchased before they are gone or buy one with all the goodies installed already.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I started out on an old honda rubicon quad, fun bike but my knees started to complain. So I tried a 570 rzr and found it lacking in power. Then it was on to the 570 ace which was better, but still not quite there yet.

When they came out with the 900sp I found the machine for me. Enough power to be a little scary, good top speed, and still small enough to make it on tight trails. I added skid plates, bigger tires for a bit more clearance then needed an aftermarket computer to get back the power I lost with the tire upgrade (28" terrabites).

When they came out with the 900xp I realized that I wouldn't be able to get a replacement when I run this one to death (2600 miles and still going strong) So I decided to shop around and found a new one at a dealer not far, so I snagged it for $7500. It's now my back up or spare parts machine.

I carry an 8 gallon spare fuel tank to make up for the mileage since the group I run with likes to run 100-130 miles in a day. I've gotten as much as 80 miles on a tank, and as little as 60.

All told I'm somewhere north of 10,000 miles on various atvs on forest service roads and some pretty gnarly trails in Colorado and Wyoming.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I started out in the 80's with a Honda 3 wheeler.Then picked up a Honda Odyssey Fl250 l loved that so much in 1985 I got 2 Honda Odyssey's Fl350 what a improvement.they came with reverse still had air cooled heads but I never had a problem. In 1989 I bought the Honda Pilot 400 and loved it. Over the years I would pick up a quad here and there always 4x4. I now have 2 Suzuki 750 King quads Polaris 1000 RZR a Ace 570 and 900 and I just picked up a 2019 Polaris RZR RS1. The RS1 is great but I love the ace because I can ride any trail the quads can. I still have the Odysseys and pilot I bought years ago and they all still run great I have no problem finding parts for them.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Odyssey and Pilot look fun in an old=school way. I have never seen either in person, so I may be way off. I am just so glad to have a proper seat and belts, instead of hanging onto the top of a quad.

There is (was) a story around here about a guy who bought an Ace for his daughter. She flipped it sideways down a hill. He of course panicked, but found her safe, hanging upside-down, and giving him the thumbs up.

I have considered a third Ace, but we have a whole yard of tagged vehicles now. The biggest temptation was a rental place near us that was selling off their 570s for $3900! I still want a VW rail-type buggy, but that is a different story. My cousin has a shortened one, built Corvair engine with a supercharger. I can't even describe how quick that thing is.

The 325s have plenty of power for our simple trail riding. We rarely hit 40MPH, never see mud, and don't get in sand dunes much. I have hit 55 on pavement, but once was enough.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have the ACE 570. It got me anyplace I had the courage to go but quickly stepped up to the 900 Rzr trail. Narrow enough for the normal ATV trails but with the extra power I enjoy, a 10 gallon gas tank and two seats. I only keep the ACE for friends to use.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have the ACE 570. It got me anyplace I had the courage to go but quickly stepped up to the 900 Rzr trail. Narrow enough for the normal ATV trails but with the extra power I enjoy, a 10 gallon gas tank and two seats. I only keep the ACE for fr
Whereabouts are you going to be living? I'm in the Cotton area, halfway from Duluth to Virginia. Tons of trails right out my front door and up the dirt road! :love:
Hey Al! I wanted to thank you for this post. That’s sure sounds good to me. We are probably buying a house by Grand Rapids. I did a quick lookup and see I will be a short 1 hour plus drive from you, if you want to meet sometime and show me around I would be grateful, I have been in Colorado for 30 years and was in NH the 20 before that, and am trying to learn as much as possible about our future home, as it is all new to me!
We will be up there in a month or two, things seem to be moving quickly! Everything is packed up, even the Ace! i hope it turns out to be as great of a place to live as I am hoping. We also ride motorcycles and camp, and try to be happy. Like most, we have had some good and not so good times over the past few years, looking for Someth8ng new. Talk soon, perhaps. John

·
Registered
33 Posts
Grand Rapids is at the extreme end of the Iron Range, so read up on the Range on the Web. People up here are really proud to be Rangers. Lots of history and tradition. I'm also just 25 miles from Gilbert, where is the only state run trails park in the state, in an abandoned mine tailings dump. Haven't been there yet but heard it's fantastic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts