Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had my 2014 Ace for a month now. I live in East Tenn. and have not found anywhere it will not go. When I bought the machine the dealer told me I would need to do most of my riding in LOW gear. He said to staying in LOW gear below 20mph would extend the belt life. My concern is that at 10 to 15mph my rpm range is between 6,000 to 7000 rpm's. That seem's to be quite high for a four stroke engine to be turning for hours at a time. Maybe this new engine is designed to operate at these rpm's. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Belts are cheaper than engines. Whether you use low or high not only depends on your speed but also the terrain you are riding on. For example, relatively smooth trails < 5% slope at your speeds is ok for high gear. However, rocky trails that require crawling at slow speeds = low gear.

You can tell what gear is needed by how much your engine is struggling to pull you.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Belts are cheaper than engines. Whether you use low or high not only depends on your speed but also the terrain you are riding on. For example, relatively smooth trails < 5% slope at your speeds is ok for high gear. However, rocky trails that require crawling at slow speeds = low gear.

You can tell what gear is needed by how much your engine is struggling to pull you.

Good answer^^^^^^^^

·
Registered
3,051 Posts

+1 on that. The 20 mph answer is the default answer that Polaris dealers have been giving regarding the RZR for years, and it just shows that your dealer does not understand that the ACE is a different animal, especially the 325 model.
It would be very unusual to burn the belt on the 325 during "normal" riding. Just get a feel for how hard the motor is working. If it's working very hard and you're not going very fast, stop and shift into low gear. Then once you're into smooth sailing, go back to high gear.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My normal speeds on open trails is about 20 mph. Other than that, I run way slower. The terrain is either muddy water along the coast or hard red clay with lots of trees in the piney woods.
I didn't feel comfortable with the high revs in low gear, till I saw that the 325 ace is good for 8500 RPM's. But still not comfortable running that high.
I run in high gear between 15 and 20 mph. I wasn't told any different by the salesman.
I found another issue when running in Low, the engine light comes on, but found out on here that this is normal with all Aces. Just go to high till it clears, then back to low.
I started a thread about that issue on here a couple months ago.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My normal speeds on open trails is about 20 mph. Other than that, I run way slower. The terrain is either muddy water along the coast or hard red clay with lots of trees in the piney woods.
I didn't feel comfortable with the high revs in low gear, till I saw that the 325 ace is good for 8500 RPM's. But still not comfortable running that high.
I run in high gear between 15 and 20 mph. I wasn't told any different by the salesman.
I found another issue when running in Low, the engine light comes on, but found out on here that this is normal with all Aces. Just go to high till it clears, then back to low.
I started a thread about that issue on here a couple months ago.
The engine light coming on when in low gear must be specific to the 330 models. I just returned from Hatfield McCoy trails and ran my 570 in low gear most of the time at Bearwallow and Ivey Branch and never had any engine lights come on. Speeds were mostly between 10 and 20 mph

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The engine light coming on when in low gear must be specific to the 330 models. I just returned from Hatfield McCoy trails and ran my 570 in low gear most of the time at Bearwallow and Ivey Branch and never had any engine lights come on. Speeds were mostly between 10 and 20 mph
It seems to happen when crawling, like around 5 MPH, and we've only seen a few reported. The only time I've seen the CEL on mine in 1500 miles is when I burned out my voltage regulator.

·
Registered
394 Posts
My Ace runs around above 5000 rpms in high at 20 mph.
Seems high but I guess they want you in the higher torque range when riding???

·
Registered
447 Posts
My drive belt on my 2014 Ace 330 started slipping at 125 hours and about 925 miles. I was surprised that I did not get more hours from the factory belt. I attribute it to two things but really don't know why. When the Ace was new, I probably rode some trails in high range that should have been ridden in low range. I now select low range a lot more than I did a year ago. I also ride two rock climbing trails on my own property that requires me to creep very slowly. I always do this in low range but I suspect that it is hard on the belt. By creep I mean stop, start and go forward 1-2 mph for a few hundred yards. I have to creep over large rocks and rock ledges. My check engine light always comes on and indicates a speed sensor problem. The belt was noticeably worn on the sides when I replaced it.

I replaced the original belt with a Gates 23C4140 from RPOPowersports for $80. I have about 10 hours on the belt and it has performed well. It is way too soon to state that it will be a good belt.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I've had very good luck with Gates belts and like the savings over Poo belts. My comments are mainly based on snowmobiles which have very similar transmissions. When using an aftermarket belt it is very important to check the following:

A. Belt Deflection> There are very slight differences between OEM and aftermarket belts and I have yet to see a non-OEM belt not need belt deflection adjustment. I'm not sure if our secondary allows for this adjustment but it should.

B. Primary belt belt side clearance spacing. Requires special tools and is accomplished by shimming the spider. Its a pain to do but important for width variations between aftermarket and non OEM.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Skyliner, thanks for the response. I will have to hope for the best as I am not an experienced mechanic. I compared the Gates belt to the factor belt as best as I could. The dimensions appeared to be identical except for the wear on the sides of the factory belt where it was slipping. I just put it on and started driving. I ordered another one for a spare and it arrived yesterday. If I have any problems, I will switch back to the Polaris belt and just pay double what I paid for the Gates belt.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts