Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have found 12:
(2) One each on the suspension arm in the middle of the arm behind the front wheels
(8) Four on each side on the a arms behind the rear wheels
(2) One on each side on bushings behind and to the rear of the rear wheels

Can anyone point me to any others and how to reach them?

Thank you in advance

Added later: Mark Pickens put a scan of the service diagram on the 2nd page of replies for this thread. Thanks Mark.

View attachment 3386

·
Registered
134 Posts
There is one more on the prop shaft at the rear transmission on the drivers side if your sitting in the ace, it's under the belt housing you may have to roll the machine back or forward slowly to find it. But it's there trust me lol!

·
Registered
447 Posts
HTOs, the manual also says to grease the front tie rod bushings and the ball joint boots. I was got a needle fitting and was able to get grease underneath the boot that is around the tie rod ends. I never did get any grease into the ball joint boots. In general, I had difficulty getting to all the grease zerks. I was switching between a grease gun with a flexible shaft and one with a rigid shaft. I finally bought a 3' flexible shaft at Tractor Supply and that made it much easier. I can place the grease gun on the floor and use the floor for support while I am pumping the grease gun. The 3' shaft will reach all the fittings. My other option was to grow a third hand and I could not figure out how to do that.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I went down to the dealer on friday to ask about this greasing the front boot. He said they use to have fitting on the rod bushings but not now and don't put a needle valve through the boot I asked that question

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mistee, I was able to slide the needle valve under the edge of the boot I did not puncture the boot. I packed a lot of grease under the boot until is was taunt to the touch.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Regarding below: Thank you Hayseed. I will pick up a needle fitting. As a side note, the H2Os is because my last name is Waters. I have the same on the plates on my suburban. My first name can be done with SIO2. I wonder if anyone will get that one.

HTOs, the manual also says to grease the front tie rod bushings and the ball joint boots. I was got a needle fitting and was able to get grease underneath the boot that is around the tie rod ends. I never did get any grease into the ball joint boots. In general, I had difficulty getting to all the grease zerks. I was switching between a grease gun with a flexible shaft and one with a rigid shaft. I finally bought a 3' flexible shaft at Tractor Supply and that made it much easier. I can place the grease gun on the floor and use the floor for support while I am pumping the grease gun. The 3' shaft will reach all the fittings. My other option was to grow a third hand and I could not figure out how to do that.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Would your first name be Sandy? That would certainly be a great name, Sandy Waters. Just a word of caution, I was unable to get the needle fitting out of the end of my grease gun. I finally destroyed the needle fitting removing it. Before I lube the front end again, I am going to buy another needle fitting and another grease gun end and leave the needle fitting permanently inserted into the end. I will just change ends when I grease the tie rod ends. I never could get the needle fitting under the ball joint boots. The metal that the ball joint boot fits over is slightly recessed and the needle just would not insert under the boot without catching on the metal lip. I may try again if I can find a more rigid needle fitting.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Perfect. Thank you so much. This should be right on the front of this thread.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hayseed I ll try to get under the boot good thinking I know they put very little grease in the fitting, I took the bike home and greased all the fitting. The fitting on the drive shift had 0 grease in it.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I greased the Ace tonight in preparation for a weekend ride. I discovered that I must have overfilled one of the boots on the tie rod ends the last time I greased the Ace. It expanded too much and rubbed on the brake rotor and wore a hole in the boot. The other boot was OK. Don't pump too much grease in the boots like I did. It looks like new tie rod ends are in my near future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts