Polaris ACE Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, if running alloy rims (Moose) and the matching tapered lug nuts... what torque do you all think is appropriate? I remember on my old RZR 800 with similar rims I think I ended up torquing to around 65lbs... does this seem right? Cheers

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
That is a subject of much debate over on RZRForums.
The manual for a RZR with alloy wheels says 90 ft-lbs, but some people say that is too much.
90 lbs is about the limit for me being able to get them off with a normal size ratchet on the trail. But I carry a small cheater bar that fits on the ratchet.

·
Registered
447 Posts
I too would like to hear more about lug nut torque. The 1014 Ace manual on page 111 specifies 30 ft-lbs for aluminum wheels and 27 ft-lbs for steel wheels. I have 2" aluminum spacers and aluminum wheels and I torqued them to 30 ft-lbs several months ago. I have not had any problems at all but I am now worried that I am setting myself up for a disaster if they should be torqued to 90 ft-lbs.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Scoundrel, you are right. I must learn to read again. It says 30 ft-lbs plus 1/4 turn or 90 degrees. I am going to re-torque my wheels. Thanks for pointing that out.

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
Those threads discuss what that works out to. And it depends whether you lube the lugs or not.
Non-lubed, they say it works out to about 90 ft-lbs. Lubed, it's much less than that.

I guess if you tighten them to the point where you can still get them off using the tools you bring with you on the trail, and they don't come loose on you (re-check them frequently until you are sure), then it's probably good.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
When your voice starts to change radically your nuts are too tight....Sorry guys I had to do it before someone else did

·
Registered
552 Posts
The page in the manual (111) says 27ft. pounds and NOT to lube the stud or nut. This is exactly what I've followed and it seems fine. Although I always turn slightly more after the click on the torque wrench. This is for steel wheels, which isn't really what this thread asks I guess.

·
Registered
420 Posts
it really depends on the grip...too tight and they are purple...just right and they are pink

oh wait...you meant lugnuts...my bad :yikes:

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
The page in the manual (111) says 27ft. pounds and NOT to lube the stud or nut. This is exactly what I've followed and it seems fine. Although I always turn slightly more after the click on the torque wrench. This is for steel wheels, which isn't really what this thread asks I guess.
Still good for reference, but yeah it is different for tapered nuts in aluminum wheels.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Okay, so I just fitted some new alloys and tapered nuts. I did lube the threads with a tiny amount of copper coat, torqued the nuts to 30lbs then tried to add another 90 degrees. Not a chance I was going to make 90 degrees without risking breaking the studs. So I went back to what I've done with both my RZR's and just torqued them to 65lbs. I'll check them periodically and see how they go.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Okay, so I just fitted some new alloys and tapered nuts. I did lube the threads with a tiny amount of copper coat, torqued the nuts to 30lbs then tried to add another 90 degrees. Not a chance I was going to make 90 degrees without risking breaking the studs. So I went back to what I've done with both my RZR's and just torqued them to 65lbs. I'll check them periodically and see how they go.
So your saying they will tighten to 65 pounds but wont tighten to 30 pounds plus 1/4 turn. This doesn't sound right

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
People on RZRForums reported that 30 lbs + 1/4 turn equals about 90 lbs.
Wow....I wouldn't have expected it to be anywhere near that much

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So your saying they will tighten to 65 pounds but wont tighten to 30 pounds plus 1/4 turn. This doesn't sound right
Yep that's exactly what I'm saying. If I tried to add 1/4 of a turn to 30lbs I fear I would have broken the studs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I don't know where you guys are getting the "add another 90 degrees". My manual for the Polaris ACE 570 does not indicate another 90 degrees for steel nor aluminum wheels. I'd think that would strip your threads.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts