Polaris ACE Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
HOW TO INSTALL A LARGER BATTERY (SUCH AS THE ODYSSEY PC925 AGM battery) and a battery charging wiring set up

*** I JUST FIXED ALL THE PICTURES IN CASE THEY WERE MISSING WHEN THREAD WAS VIEWED ******

After the OEM SLA battery kept dying on me, AND I realized how incredibly miserable it was to access the ACE battery....
I decided to upgrade to an AGM battery with charger wires installed so I'll NEVER have to access that compartment again!!

Several members here were VERY helpful in giving info on upgrading to a larger battery, thanks Atv bandit!

So I wanted to do this step-by-step "HOW TO" for other ACE owners.

BATTERY INSTALLED: ODYSSEY PC925 (NON-L model):
DSC_1082.jpg

ITEMS NEEDED: "L" TERMINAL ADAPTER KIT
Available at Amazon and other places: Amazon.com: Odyssey L Terminal Adapter: Automotive

DSC_1081.jpg

[1] Remove seat

[2] Remove black plastic panel from behind seat by undoing 2 knobs
DSC_1084.jpg

[3] Remove fasteners and pop rivets from CUPHOLDER PIECE AND FLOOR EDGING piece

DSC_1086.jpg

DSC_1092.jpg

[4] Gently pull both pieces away from cab, to give you better access to battery compartment.
You DON'T have to remove them all the way.

DSC_1094.jpg

[5] REMOVE OLD OEM BATTERY-

• The metal battery hold down strap needs to be removed.
    DSC_1103.jpg

DSC_1108.jpg
  • FIRST, Remove the one 10mm bolt on LEFT side of bracket strap first (if you were in seated position in cab)

[*] Other side is hooked onto a tab - free the metal strap from this tab.
    This will take some wiggling and possibly some cursing....:cus:

[6] REMOVE the old battery:

• Remove red rubber cover from positive (red) terminal
  • Remove the bolt and nut from each terminal.
  • Remove old battery
DSC_1124.jpg

[7]
If installing a LARGER battery ....
I highly recommend the ODYSSEY PC925 AGM battery , about $160​

• You must move the left side metal seat track out of the way to get
    the larger battery into the battery compartment

DSC_1116.jpg

• SEAT TRACK is held on by two 13mm bolts:
DSC_1117.jpg

• LOOSEN the FRONTward bolt with a 13mm socket.
    [*]REMOVE the REARward most bolt and set aside.
DSC_1125.jpg

[8] Then MOVE the rear part of track away from battery area, toward right side.
(Yes, I know, the rear bolt is still present in this pic...and subsequently fell down into the bowels of my ACE...:banghead: thus my recommendation to remove it!)

DSC_1126.jpg

[9] INSTALL NEW BATTERY:

• Install L adapers on both terminals of battery
    DSC_1133.jpg

• Insert battery on it’s side, with terminals at top of side, same as in pic above.

[*] The terminals facing leftward (toward yourself)

[*] **Make sure you move the disconnected battery wires out of the way so they’re NOT UNDER the new battery.

DSC_1130.jpg

[10] Attach/Install the ORIGINAL BATTERY TERMINAL WIRES, AND THE BATTERY CHARGER WIRES to both terminals:

• Feed the positive/hot wire under and to the left side of the metal strap down bracket and backward toward rear of cab.

DSC_1146.jpg
  • Then bring charger wires facing forward a few inches, where there’s plenty of room to store the charger end cap. (It will be sitting on top of the gas tank)

DSC_1173.jpg

[11] Reinstall the METAL BATTERY STRAP DOWN BRACKET:

• There's 2 tabs depending on how tall the battery is, so catch the bracket on the appropriate tab on the right side (as in seated position in cab).
    You MUST use the higher tab for the Odyssey PC925 battery.

• It will fit EXTREMELY SNUGGLY OVER THE BATTERY.
    You’ll have to push down a bit on the battery and bracket to catch the tab.

• Reinstall bolt on left side of bracket-
    YOU'LL NEED AN EXTENSION on screwdriver with a 10mm socket.

** TIP: Put some tape on the socket and bolt so it doesn’t fall out of socket when you go to install it….remember gravity or you’ll be lifting that dang 26lb battery out of the compartment to chase that bolt!

DSC_1148.jpg

[12] Reinstall the LEFT SEAT TRACK BOLTS and tighten FIRMLY:

DSC_1170.jpg

[13] Zip-tie the charger wires to the metal bar going side-to-side (same bar the seat track is bolted to)

DSC_1174.jpg

[14] Lastly, Zip-tie the charger wires from BOTH positive and negative terminals to the metal strap down bracket.

DSC_1171.jpg

[15] Reorient the plastic cladding pieces back to their original positions and re-fasten all fasteners and button it all up.
    All pieces will fit as they originally did, no problem.

FINAL LOOK OF BATTERY AND CHARGER INSTALLATION: DSC_1175.jpg

**** DISREGARD THE 2 PICS BELOW, FOR SOME REASON I CAN'T DELETE THEM**** .....:blue:

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
very nice "How2"...
I don't even have one but I'd feel good enough to try it...

just a dumb question, batteries these days, ok to have on the side?
I'm assuming yes or you wouldn't have done it, but just to clarify?

I'm from the Lead Acid with water caps on top generation.....

thanks and again great "How2"... thanks...

fun..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I guess one of the major selling points of AGM batteries is that they're fully sealed, can be installed in any orientation, and are not very susceptible to shock/vibration.
And one of the downsides is that they are prone to "thermal runaway" which can cause "sudden and large scale failure". >:O

VRLA battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Further down in that wiki it says:

• VRLA batteries are more vulnerable to thermal run-away during abusive charging
  • Have shorter useful life, compared to properly maintained wet-cell battery.[14]
~Maybe that's why the various mfgs recommend battery chargers specifically designed for AGMs. We have a C-TEK charger, one of the brands recommended. We have had 4 different Optima AGM batteries over last 5 -6 years in 4 different vehicles and campers and used the CTEK mostly on the camper deep cycle battery.
Have never had a problem with any of them, but I have heard of others having the red top and yellow top crapping out way prematurely. Often within warranty period. Now that I've learned about Odyssey AGMs, and their longer service life, we decided to go with them in our ATVs.

~As to useful life being shorter than a SLA....I've never heard that in any other place...in fact, heard the exact opposite....so that one has me stumped.

Overall....we'll never have any other type of battery.

·
Premium Member
272 Posts
Hey Scoundrel, this NEEDS to be made a sticky .... :)

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
EDIT....Just found this picture on the 'net of the battery area etc of the ACE and it's so squeeky CLEAN figured I'd include it here for reference since mine was so dusty!

·
Registered
61 Posts
20170529_093732.jpg

Two things to notice: the massive size difference and the condition of the old battery. We bought this vehicle used with a "full" service...that probably didn't include topping off the battery as the tops of the plates were dry.

The hold down bracket gave me hell but it's in there. These screws are not something I'm used to with a high tpi and resistance into close to bottom. Maybe I don't have the bolt holding the bracket down tight...maybe it's stripped but I did fit some adhesive backed foam stripped between the battery and frame bits.

Update: I've removed the foam and zip-tied cut up inner tubes to the frame rails and over the top of the battery between the bracket and over the terminals. Much happier with the install.

The biggest problem is that I drove one hour with some tools to the ranch to do the install and didn't bring something to pry the bracket into place...or the key to check the output of the voltage regulator.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Glad the post helped! Now I need the help!
I ride about once every 2 months (yes I know, I should be ashamed).
This battery has done nothing but give me aggravation...it goes dead over and over, and I keep it on an AGM special charger!!

Now today we can't get it charged at all. It's kaput!
Hubby is tird of messing with it! Same Odyssey in his ACE has no issues!
30 months old and looks like out of warranty at 24 months. Grrrr!

Anybody else have problems with Odyssey batteries?
I thought they were supposed to be SOOOOO good and last up to 10 years!!

Now I have the fun of trying to get that sucker out of that tight spot! :banghead:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just want to know to this battery upgrade, was the battery getting enough charge from your Ace or did it require extra charging when you got home. Awesome guide BTW.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just want to know to this battery upgrade, was the battery getting enough charge from your Ace or did it require extra charging when you got home. Awesome guide BTW.
It turned out to be a bad battery, replaced it and all has been good for 2 years.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts